What do they do?

Post in this forum for topics relating to the interior.

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

orlando

What do they do?

Post by orlando »

Could somebody please tell me what are these two things and what they do? They are switches located below the kickpanel on the driver's side (right hand drive vehicle) the top one is a BMW switch, the bottom one is a Bosch.

I read somewhere that one is a chime generator.

Thank you. Orlando
Attachments
Kickpanel2.jpg
Kickpanel2.jpg (76.88 KiB) Viewed 7846 times
Kickpanel.jpg
Kickpanel.jpg (84.52 KiB) Viewed 7846 times
aussie_bronzit
1985 M635CSI Right Hand Drive
M88 engine not S38
sharkfan
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by sharkfan »

The black one is the chime and the grey one is the interior temp sensor for the air-con/ventilation panel. As well as an electrical plug, the grey one should have a small tube connected to the black hole which runs to the inlet manifold; this is to draw air over the sensor.
orlando

Post by orlando »

Thank you for the reply Sharkfan. I can see the electrical wires but couldn't find any pipes to plug in the hole of the grey one.

What category is that part listed under in RealOEM? Do you know?

Best regards, Orlando.
aussie_bronzit
M88 engine not S38
Brucey
6 Series Guru
6 Series Guru

Post by Brucey »

~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
orlando

Post by orlando »

Thanks Brucey for the reply and the part numbers. I am definitely missing the hoses 11 and 12 or they are hiding somewhere!!!
aussie_bronzit
M88 engine not S38
Chris Wright

Post by Chris Wright »

orlando wrote:Thanks Brucey for the reply and the part numbers. I am definitely missing the hoses 11 and 12 or they are hiding somewhere!!!
#12 just looks like a short piece of hose to connect #11 to a nipple on the under side of the intake manifold in the engine bay, but it is also a restrictor, although the system will work without it.

#11 is a small nylon tube that snakes its was through the firewall next to the wiring harness on the left side. The white tubes have turned yellow/brown with age:

On the in side, under the kick panel the nylon tube connects to a blue/black stripped hose that plugs into the Interior Temp. Sensor:

orlando

Post by orlando »

Thank you very much Chris, definitely a picture paints a thousand words!!! I know where to start tracing the missing tube now. I did find the white tube turned yellow in the engine bay.

Thinking back, I realised that I have been having odd reads in the temperature display in the OBC. Sometimes it tells me that the temp is -10 when it really is above 20 degrees and I remember it all started when my mechanic replaced the temperature sensor, surely, he unplugged that little blue/black stripped hose from the interior temp sensor and never put it back.

Thank you again to all who replied, you all have been very helpful.

Best regards, Orlando.
aussie_bronzit
M88 engine not S38
sharkfan
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by sharkfan »

The temp display on the OBC has no connection to the temp sensor we're talking about.

The temp display on the OBC is a simple external sensor on the left hand side of the car near the front left fog light.

The temp sensor inside inputs a signal to the ventilation and AC control.
orlando

Another cable i need help with

Post by orlando »

Hi guys,

I located the cables I thought I didn't have with the pictures Chris posted, thanks again.

I have found another cable that is unplugged. it is next to the steering column , it has three black and yellow cables, two of them are the same thickness and one that is thicker than the other two, they all end to a black plug. Pictures of the cable are below.

Does anyone knows what this cable is for and where the black plug connects to?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Attachments
Cable.jpg
Cable.jpg (89.17 KiB) Viewed 7561 times
Cable1.jpg
Cable1.jpg (97.99 KiB) Viewed 7561 times
aussie_bronzit
M88 engine not S38
orlando

Post by orlando »

Any one has any ideas please?

Thanks, Orlando.
aussie_bronzit
M88 engine not S38
Brucey
6 Series Guru
6 Series Guru

Post by Brucey »

BK/YL normally means it is one of the many wires that comes live when the start relay is energised.

Take a look at section 1240 of the ETM. If it is one of the 'start' wires then it should be common with pin 11 on the diagnostic connector. If it is connected properly it should look like +12V when cranking, but earthy the rest of the time (it is grounded by the hold-in and pull-in coils on the starter).

hth

cheers
~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
orlando

Post by orlando »

Thanks Brucey, you are spot on again and the car would not crank until that little bugger is connected!!

All is good now and the car is back on the road. Thank you to all who helped me, I really appreciate it.

Regards Orlando.
aussie_bronzit
M88 engine not S38