Help identifying Recaros

Post in this forum for topics relating to the interior.

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

jabier73

Help identifying Recaros

Post by jabier73 »

Hi, there. I need help to identify this Recaros: wether it's E24 original or comes from some other model.

Please note the shape of petals of both the seat and backrest parts. Other curious details are the wheels to adjust the backrest: they are in the inner part of the seat, while the usual models have it on the exterior. This can be an exchange between driver and passenger seats, but I have seen this exact configuration in the 3 different E24s I have located with these seat model. Too much for a coincidence. Do you know these seats?? Can they be a later model of E24 Recaros??

For reference I post pictures of the other known (for me) models of E24 sport seats. Note the difference in the petal design:

- Early Recaros (before '82 or so)

- Late Recaros (post '82, don't know how long they kept selling)

- BMW sport seats (after '84 or so), perhaps designed by Recaro too (don't know). They have plastic back cover. This picture is from electric model.
wattsmonkey
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by wattsmonkey »

Nice seats!

The "extra-chubby" Recaros are the same as found in various E28-based 635/M635. I always thought that they were the later type of optional seat, as you suspect, replacing the "slim and pointy" backed ones. In my humble opinion, they are the very best seats you can get in an E24.

It is not uncommon to swap driver and passenger seats to even out the wear, I shouldn't read too much into the adjustment being on the "wrong side".

When I test-drove my M635 it had a Recaro passenger seat AND base fitted in the driver's seat, including the adjustment lever which presented a formidable testicular hazard upon entry and exit!
"Most of it necessary; all of it enjoyable." LJKS
'84 635CSi, dogleg...itbs and supercharger????? Eaton Mess
jabier73

Post by jabier73 »

Thanks, watts. Now we are two suspicious about these seats being a later Recaro options. Does anybody here have them?
Alpinacsi

Post by Alpinacsi »

The lower bolster designed changed around 5/82 and provided a more pronounced notched by the hip to allow easier entering and exiting. Then the upper bolster changed sometime in 84 to provide more torso support. You can probably check a site like realoem to get more exact times.
Alpina B9 coupe (Alpinweiss)
Alpina B9 sedan (Alpinweiss)
Alpina B6 clone in process (Alpinweiss)
Mini S (had to go: it was Electric Blue)
Rover Disco 1 (Alpine White)
jabier73

Post by jabier73 »

Alpinacsi wrote:The lower bolster designed changed around 5/82 and provided a more pronounced notched by the hip to allow easier entering and exiting. Then the upper bolster changed sometime in 84 to provide more torso support. You can probably check a site like realoem to get more exact times.
Great! Thanks for the info. I knew about the first seat bolster change, but nothing about the later change in 84. By that time, it seems most people wanting sport seats bought the BMW sport wants or maybe they only sold during a short time. They are extremely rare.
tschultz

Post by tschultz »

Here's some good information on Recaros.
Attachments
002RECARO.jpg
002RECARO.jpg (95.92 KiB) Viewed 12356 times
http://www.Drive4Corners.com
'79 635CSi Revival
'80 635CSi
'83 633CSi Callaway Turbo continued as 1988 535is Turbo
SOLD: '81 635CSi/A
bpoliakoff
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bpoliakoff »

True Recaros have 7 pleats in the seat bottom and back. BMW sport seats have 5 pleats.
81 Euro 635 M90 with motronic. Currently under a complete nut and bolt restoration. Pictures at
flickr.com/photos/bertsphotos.
Alpinacsi

Post by Alpinacsi »

bpoliakoff wrote:True Recaros have 7 pleats in the seat bottom and back. BMW sport seats have 5 pleats.
You keep saying that but that is not always true. We are also talking about the Recaros as were used in the various years and not the sport seats.
bpoliakoff
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bpoliakoff »

Todd, If you go to realoem, you will see that even on there they very definitely show the difference in pleats between Recaro's and BMW sport seats. Also if you go to GAHH's website, you will see they also ask for how many pleats in the upholstery when you order it.
81 Euro 635 M90 with motronic. Currently under a complete nut and bolt restoration. Pictures at
sharkfan
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by sharkfan »

Yet the photographs show genuine Recaros with five pleats, as do many photographs of genuine Recaro seats, BMW fitment and others, of that era. Are you saying they are not genuine?
2001 Alpina B10 V8 Touring (1 of 12 rhd)
1997 Alpina B12 5.7 L (1 of 2 rhd)
1995 Alpina B10 4.6 Touring (1 of 1 rhd)
1985 BMW M635CSi (1 of 524 rhd)
1982 BMW 635CSiA (1 of 100's left from the 1000's made and still valiantly fighting against a rusty grave)
Alpinacsi

Post by Alpinacsi »

bpoliakoff wrote:Todd, If you go to realoem, you will see that even on there they very definitely show the difference in pleats between Recaro's and BMW sport seats. Also if you go to GAHH's website, you will see they also ask for how many pleats in the upholstery when you order it.
I never said that the sport seats and Recaros had the same number of pleats but you also have to realize that diagrams on realoem are just dipictions and not always very accurate. Take a look at the sport seats from a later M6 or Highline car and tell me how many pleats you see. The simple way to differentiate between the BMW sport seat and any of the Recaros that were offered from BMW for the e24 is to look at the insert design. The Recaros have the bolstering on the upper sides connected across the top and below the headrest. The insert is surrounded by a "horseshoe" but on the sport seats; the insert goes all the way to the headrest.
bpoliakoff
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bpoliakoff »

Hey Todd, your info is always a great learning experience. Figuring out what parts BMW used over the years really is a challenge at times as it seems there are always inconsistencies
IconSix

Post by IconSix »

So the Recaros that you've posted came in the euro 6 series in leather. These are also the same seats that came in the e21 that everyone loves for the 2002 in a vinyl material. The difference was in the mounting brackets that were used to mount on the manual tracks for the 6 series. They are slightly different in the sense that they spread out some what more so you can mount on the original track. I do believe that all Recaros have the same mounting screw pattern under the seat. So you can find the e21 seat around and upholster in leather like the original for the 6 series. Hope this helps clarify any thoughts. These are the one's that I up graded to from the other style that you posted
Attachments
IMG_7514.jpg
IMG_7514.jpg (241.69 KiB) Viewed 12198 times
jabier73

Post by jabier73 »

IconSix wrote:So the Recaros that you've posted came in the euro 6 series in leather. These are also the same seats that came in the e21 that everyone loves for the 2002 in a vinyl material. The difference was in the mounting brackets that were used to mount on the manual tracks for the 6 series. They are slightly different in the sense that they spread out some what more so you can mount on the original track. I do believe that all Recaros have the same mounting screw pattern under the seat. So you can find the e21 seat around and upholster in leather like the original for the 6 series. Hope this helps clarify any thoughts.
Hi, I don't think the seats I posted on the first place are the same that in E21s. E21 Recaro seats are close (if not the same, except for the vinyl) to the second ones I pictured, with the pointy bolsters.

I have posted this same issue in the Spanish forum (BMWfaq) and some guy send me the picture of his '83 Euro 635CSI original Recaros. They are the same that the ones in the first picture and, besides, the wheel to lean the backrest is in the inner side too:

The sticker on these seats is this one below. The model is an LS, as was pictured in the Recaro catalog in some previous post. The (81) seems to be the year. This contrasts with the sticker in the older Recaros (2nd picture first post) and more frequent, which is LX (77). I don't have info for the sticker on the intermediate Recaro model (3rd picture first post)

So, it seems that these seats (the ones in the first picture of the first post and also the grey cloth pictured here) where also an E24 BMW option and a 3rd Recaro model that was offered during some period, as Alpinacsi had stated. For some reason, they got the adjustment wheel on the inner side too.
tschultz

Post by tschultz »

For reference my '80 Euro has the sticker showing LS and (77).

I'm pretty sure these are the original seats but I cannot confirm. Interesting theory and some good information here!
'79 635CSi Revival
'80 635CSi
jabier73

Post by jabier73 »

tschultz wrote:For reference my '80 Euro has the sticker showing LS and (77).

I'm pretty sure these are the original seats but I cannot confirm. Interesting theory and some good information here!
Which Recaro model are your seats according to the pictures in the first post? Perhaps the 3rd. one?
tschultz

Post by tschultz »

Mine are like the 2nd photo, early model euro Recaro.

A few photos in my project thread:
viewtopic.php?t=12615&start=75
'79 635CSi Revival
'80 635CSi
Adam12

Re: Help identifying Recaros

Post by Adam12 »

Hello everyone, can anybody tell me what I've got? Just bought an 87' highline. Seats have recaro label but I am not sure if these are originally from that car or have been added as upgrade - vin specifies sport seats only (maybe vin did not specified exact manufacturer?). At the center there is full panel for electric adjust, but some functions are not working. I am wondering whether recaros were partially manual or I have somenthing broken there. Any comment which will help me identify how it is, we're these were added how shall be adjusted will be very much appreciated.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (1013.6 KiB) Viewed 10162 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (926.27 KiB) Viewed 10162 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (42.67 KiB) Viewed 10162 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (56.54 KiB) Viewed 10162 times
Pod
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Pod »

I've never seen "two-tone" coloured Recaro seats in an E24 before, so I am of the opinion that they probably have been swapped in from another model, or even manufacturer?
Adam12

Post by Adam12 »

It's from BMW that for sure since the adjustment ring has BMW emblem on it. Thanks for sharing that you nerve saw two colors , another sign that it may not be originally....
tschultz

Post by tschultz »

That is a '77 production seat, likely from a 320is.
'79 635CSi Revival
'80 635CSi
GRNSHRK
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by GRNSHRK »

Are they power :-?

I see the power seat switches in the console, but if they are from an E21 320 iS (which I have, and do have those rotary adjustment knobs) there's no way that they are powered [-X

The thigh supports are also manual, those seats are actually great and extremely comfortable =D>
Attachments
newseats2.jpeg
newseats2.jpeg (132.56 KiB) Viewed 10103 times
:mrgreen:
Bobbo
1980 633 CSi Cypress Green/Pearl Beige
2017 X5 M Sport Xdrive 35i Carbon Black/Ivory White
2005 330 Ci ZHP Cabrio Imola Red/Bone/Black