Window adjust question

Post in this forum for topics relating to the interior.

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

Derek

Window adjust question

Post by Derek »

Has anyone adjusted the angle of the door windows? I need to move the top edges of the glass towards the centerline of the car, as opposed to fore and aft. I looked at the factory manual on page 51-21 where it shows inclination adjust but am not sure whether that means left to right or front to back. My glass aims past the notch in the rubber, this happens whether I roll the windows up with the doors open or closed.
tinchomermoz

Window adjustment

Post by tinchomermoz »

biggles

Re: Window adjust question

Post by biggles »

Resurrecting a thread from the grave here I know... :roll:

I am in the process of fitting a new drivers side window. The previous owner had managed to fit a series 2 window in a series one car, it sort of fitted but obviously required a lot of adjustment He gave me a replacement series 1 window. So fitting the new window requires me to redo all the alignment.

I now post in frustfation ](*,) I have followed the guides and after several hours of adjustment, given up. New window is in... it aligns perfectly and the door closes with it neatly in place. The problem is the window will not close without me giving a fairly strong helping hand. The old window closed no problem, new one stops a centimeter short under its own power. Motor grinds to a halt.

Battery is strong, as I mentioned it aligns perfectly. I have played with all the settingsame in the guide.,For several hours I felt like a safe cracker... with 5 adjustments that would only work in a specific combination.

What could I expect missing? ](*,)
81 BMW 635csi RHD Euro manual.
02 M5
02 MCoupe
MrE
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by MrE »

Gday - you mention the previous owner put a series 2 window in a series 1 car - are you referring to the 85 Euro in your sig? Because that would be a series 2 car wouldn't it? So the series 1 window the bloke gave you might be the problem, because your car is not series 1?

With my old 633 the series 1 window glass had two holes near the bottom through which the lifting bracket would bolt into place. When I had to replace the window all I could get was series 2 glass (which does not have holes) and that caused alignment issues as the bracket had to be mounted at the very bottom of the glass pane rather than an inch or two up.

I'm not sure, but maybe series 1 window glass is longer (taller) than a series 2 window? And the series 2 lifting bracket, because its holding the glass at the very bottom of the pane rather than an inch or so up where the holes would be, does not go down deep enough to fully retract the longer series 1 window...??

Does the series 1 window the bloke gave you have two holes near the base?
biggles

Post by biggles »

Need to update my signature picture :-? The car in the signature pic is long gone.

The new car is a series 1 82 model . The new window has holes at the bottom as you describe, but the scissor mechanism bolts to the plates that also bolt to the guide rails. So sounds like a series 2 mechanism.

But the new window fits much better than the old one and also comes from an 82 IIRC.

Looks like the proper course is to contact the previous owner...
02 M5
02 MCoupe
biggles

Post by biggles »

The mechanism is the original mechanism from the 82 car, so it looks like my problem is straight adjusting.

Are there any "old hand" tricks to adjusting the window? I have tried leaving some of the bolts loose and seeing where they settle but that did not work.

I am pretty sure I have all the adjustment positions identied from the DIY on this forum and going through a process of adjusting one point and working incrementally through the adjustments before returning to the original one point, adjust and then repeat adjusting all the other adjustments.

The window goes up and fits the frame perfectly when closed but will not go all the way up under its own steam. It stops about and inch short and I need to hand power the rest of the way. The motor was fine with the old window. It just feels like it is sticking in the front guide (the mirror pillar one).
02 M5
02 MCoupe
olympia57
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by olympia57 »

biggles wrote:The mechanism is the original mechanism from the 82 car, so it looks like my problem is straight adjusting.

Are there any "old hand" tricks to adjusting the window? I have tried leaving some of the bolts loose and seeing where they settle but that did not work.

I am pretty sure I have all the adjustment positions identied from the DIY on this forum and going through a process of adjusting one point and working incrementally through the adjustments before returning to the original one point, adjust and then repeat adjusting all the other adjustments.

The window goes up and fits the frame perfectly when closed but will not go all the way up under its own steam. It stops about and inch short and I need to hand power the rest of the way. The motor was fine with the old window. It just feels like it is sticking in the front guide (the mirror pillar one).
There was a recent thread on the open window position and many owners ,inc. myself reported that their windows do not lower below the door frame .
On my series one car both front windows protrude about 1 inch above the door frame when dropped to the fully opened position.
Don
1981 635 series 1
biggles

Post by biggles »

So Some final tuning has got the window "working". It climbs in the rail and ssssllllloooowwwwlllllyyyyy closes the last few millimeters. I have to go back in as I have set the stop a few millimters too low but everything else is fine. It is still binding in the rails somehow.

When I am home next I will try again.
02 M5
02 MCoupe