Speakers 4x6 fronts

Post in this forum for topics relating to the interior.

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

kos

Re: Speakers 4x6 fronts

Post by kos »

sharkfan wrote:
kos wrote:The Bmw upgraded factory audio systems are limited and have scope for
improvements

The blog is by the company I used for my car, yes it's overkill and had a serious budget but Jesus is sounded amazing
http://www.studioincar.com/high-end-integration/
There will be someone out there who say the systems installed by the people you have quoted 'have scope for improvement' - but most people in the real world have to work to a budget, which in 99.9% of cases is the limiting factor.
I worked to a budget as well, it was a decent budget though

My front speakers were not to expensive either, £275.00 which for a pair of quality components it's a sensible price
kos

Post by kos »

olympia57 wrote:I genuinely don't mean to offend any of you guys, and I do admire your tenacity , but it looks like you are all trying to achieve the audio equivalent of absolute zero.

They keys is to how they are set up

A good way of looking at it is how an engine is mapped or tuned

No point having a tuned engine with turbos if it's not running good management

@ Bruce, if you're not at all impressed with the sound in my car then I'll put all back to stock lol
kos

Post by kos »

Mark Shutt wrote:they are not my builds, was just quoting how nice they were! I do intend to make my own though, I hate trusting anyone to work on my own car, I begrudge having my car MOT tested by someone but there's not a lot I can do about that!!

I am the same

It took a few months of talking with Shakey at studio InCar before I felt comfortable to leave my car with him.
Brucey
6 Series Guru
6 Series Guru

Post by Brucey »

kos wrote: ...@ Bruce, if you're not at all impressed with the sound in my car then I'll put all back to stock lol
I don't think that will be necessary somehow! :lol:

cheers
~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
sharkfan
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by sharkfan »

kos wrote:

My front speakers were not to expensive either, £275.00 which for a pair of quality components it's a sensible price
Each to their but if you think the price of £275 for a pair of car speakers and the words "not to(o) expensive" go together then we are in different worlds :lol:
2001 Alpina B10 V8 Touring (1 of 12 rhd)
1997 Alpina B12 5.7 L (1 of 2 rhd)
1995 Alpina B10 4.6 Touring (1 of 1 rhd)
1985 BMW M635CSi (1 of 524 rhd)
1982 BMW 635CSiA (1 of 100's left from the 1000's made and still valiantly fighting against a rusty grave)
Mark Shutt

Post by Mark Shutt »

sharkfan wrote:
kos wrote:

Each to their but if you think the price of £275 for a pair of car speakers and the words "not to(o) expensive" go together then we are in different worlds :lol:
I can understand him there, I spent more on car audio in my time than any other hobby! one of the reasons I bought a BMW again because they are good solid quiet cars ideal for audio systems 8) I paid £450 just for my tweeters (2nd hand too :D ), I hope my wife doesn't read this post as it may end up costing me a new oven or some other needless item for the house!!
1988 635csi Auto Highline, Royal blue with Lotus white.
viewtopic.php?f=25&t=26461&p=189478#p189478
kos

Post by kos »

Mr sharkfan, I can assure you that £275 is very reasonable

Also bear in mind that I don't run any rear speakers as they are not needed, so what is saved on them can be used to up the budget on the fronts

I've invested a lot into my audio and someone people (non car understanding friends) don't see why I spent more on a car that does only 3000 miles or less a year than my daily car

The reason is simple, I don't plan to sell it and most of my journeys in the e24 are long trips and that's where I need and want my music
sharkfan
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by sharkfan »

kos wrote:Mr sharkfan, I can assure you that £275 is very reasonable
How charming it is of you to reasssure me of the level of your undoubted wealth as well as patronising me as to how reasonable £275 pounds is for a pair of car loudspeakers.

I shall always read your future posts with due deference to your quite obviously more generous budgetary constraints :roll:

:D :D :D :D :D
1982 BMW 635CSiA (1 of 100's left from the 1000's made and still valiantly fighting against a rusty grave)
kos

Post by kos »

sharkfan wrote:
kos wrote:Mr sharkfan, I can assure you that £275 is very reasonable
How charming it is of you to reasssure me of the level of your undoubted wealth as well as patronising me as to how reasonable £275 pounds is for a pair of car loudspeakers.

I shall always read your future posts with due deference to your quite obviously more generous budgetary constraints :roll:

:D :D :D :D :D

Come on, don't take it out of context

I'm certainly not being patronising, I apologise if that's how it came across

The point is that there are speakers over 4 times the price.

While I did say I have invested a lot into my audio, it's not only monetary investment. It's time, research, experimenting which has been invested into it. This investment is something that I can share with fellow shark owners for everyone's benefit. When I came to decision that I needed door builds, it was because there was no chance of getting the sound I wanted from the factory location and speaker size options, so I had builds made. I researched everywhere to find examples of speaker builds and I found only a few posts on line non of which showed anything decent. So it was a step into the unknown.

I've pretty much shared every step of my cars build over the last 8 years on this forum and many others which for a lot of non e24 people was an eye opener as to the real costs and what's to be expected of shark ownership. I've never talked about money or how much I spend, and I've never said to anyone "you need to spend more money" My wealth (or lack of, and I can assure you I'm not a rich person with bundles of spare cash) is not if importance. What is important (to me and to my fellow shark owners) is doing a job right and if I'm spending money, it's in the right place at the right price. This is what I will always say and suggest to anyone in any given field.
This was important to me when doing the audio, most of it was purchased second hand. Only these speakers were new and the amp powering them (only because the other amp failed)
The advise given to my by the guys at Studio InCar was "you will be very happy with this speaker, it plays as good as a £600 audison". This also makes them in my eyes a bargain. A friend who spend a lot more than I have in his audio was in tears when he heard my set up. So, it's just putting things into perspective

I am a humble person, and somewhat upset that you think I was being patronising, hence the long post. Not sure if this clears the air or makes it worse, but I'm always happy to share my experiences and offer advice based on my own findings. 8)

PS, Remind me to not ever start a watch appreciation thread :D
kos

Post by kos »

Mark Shutt wrote:
sharkfan wrote:
kos wrote:

I can understand him there, I spent more on car audio in my time than any other hobby! one of the reasons I bought a BMW again because they are good solid quiet cars ideal for audio systems 8) I paid £450 just for my tweeters (2nd hand too :D ), I hope my wife doesn't read this post as it may end up costing me a new oven or some other needless item for the house!!

What tweeters ? LoL

Look into Hybrid Audio, that's what I'm running up front.
Mark Shutt

Post by Mark Shutt »

Focal Beryllium, yes, you're not the only person on here that really likes their audio systems :lol: they are still sat in the loft in my old builds along side matching 3w2 mids from my old Audi A4 I had .. been there 3 years now so really getting the itch to do a system!!

I would love to see more pics of your system if you have any as I'm starting from scratch so need some inspiration :lol:
olympia57
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by olympia57 »

Mark Shutt wrote:
sharkfan wrote:
kos wrote:

That's , eh , .......... very thought provoking . :-k
Treasure your wife , cause if it was mine It'd cost me two very needy items that are not for the house :shock:

I hope Ron doesn't read this as he sold me a killer pair that sound sweeeeet for about 2% of what you paid , he'll be looking for me now. :lol:
1981 635 series 1
Da_Hose
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Da_Hose »

I picked up a set of Alpine 4X6 for my kick panels, but the stereo is kind of low priority for me. The M6 has tweeters in the upper door trim and I concur with others here. I highly recommend adding quality tweeters in the upper door if you are looking to have truly good sound in your 6er.

I have had very expensive and well tuned audio systems in cars before, but I have less drive to really build it out this time as my exhaust note must not be denied. 8)

Jose
1987 M6 - My dream car
baders
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by baders »

I don't think there is another car topic as subjective as car audio. At the end of the day gents, what I have installed sounds great to me. I spent a little bit, though nowhere near as much as Mark or Kos, and I saved money by doing all the work myself. So the tweeters may not be ideally located but my ear cannot tell the difference. The hole in the rear bulkhead ? Think of it like a port hole. Round for maximum strength and reinforced by a massive bolted steel framed subwoofer :wink:
1986 635csi LOCUTUS / Arktis Blau Metallic / Pearl Beige / S38B36/ Close ratio dogleg 5sp
2002 E46 M3 / Topaz Blau Metallic / Black Nappa / 6 speed SMG software tuned / Bilstein PSS10 Coilovers / CMP RACP reinforcement
kos

Post by kos »

Trust me

Move the tweets higher up lol
Da_Hose
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Da_Hose »

Surface mount tweeters give you lots of flexibility to add great sound easily and fairly cheaply.

Jose
1987 M6 - My dream car
sharkfan
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by sharkfan »

Whilst hole hacking had already been done on the rear pods of my car I still could not bring myself to further damage the interior by fitting tweeters into the door caps but I do recognise that siting the tweeters higher would improve the sound staging.

There are very rare door mirror mounted tweeter pods from an E30 that can and have been adapted to fit an E24 and should provide a far better staging than the door caps and have the bonus (imho) of being a reversible change.

Does anyone have these fitted?
Mark Shutt

Post by Mark Shutt »

making from scratch some mirror pods for tweeters would be relatively easy, the A pillars would be my 1st choice but typically the A pillars on an E24 are like other 80's cars, very narrow so not much scope without them looking ugly.

I noticed some later E24's do and some some don't have tweeters as standard in the upper door panel, was it an option? mine doesn't have them although there is a marking on the inside where they would be cut out.. not sure weather to just go for it and cut the holes :-k
sharkfan
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by sharkfan »

I think the only E24's cars that received 'factory' tweeters in the front door caps were the North American market cars sold with the 'Premium' sound system.

Here's the 12 year old thread with our very own Brian's thread on tweeters and subwoofers....

viewtopic.php?t=136

olympia57
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by olympia57 »

Thanks Ron ..........

1981 635 series 1
Da_Hose
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Da_Hose »

If I was going to add tweeters on the mirror mount, I would probably use something like Nakamichi N-T30.

Jose
1987 M6 - My dream car
GRNSHRK
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Yeah, Brian's very old thread of . . .

Post by GRNSHRK »

...Bobbo's work in the Green Shark #-o
Here's the 12 year old thread with our very own Brian's thread on tweeters and subwoofers....
I've got a LOT of work to do (redo :| ) on her, but just to add to the discussion, I installed 4" rounds up front where the 4x6's were using adapter plates, speakers courtesy of Boston Acoustics =D>
:mrgreen:
Bobbo
1980 633 CSi Cypress Green/Pearl Beige
2017 X5 M Sport Xdrive 35i Carbon Black/Ivory White
2005 330 Ci ZHP Cabrio Imola Red/Bone/Black
GazM3

Post by GazM3 »

Got my blaupankt (spelling??) compact sub which I installed under the front passenger seat. Sounds much more balanced and I could use my existing 4ch amp to drive the front and rear speakers individially. I used the inbuilt high pass crossover set it about 150hz and the subby set at around 70hz. The sound is much more balanced and pretty happy with the outcome.

The amp is mounded to the side of the battery box and the carpet panel covers over it nicely.

It's nice to have my trunk space back as that dirty big 12" subby and box just took up too much room.

It's slighly lighter too with the weight within the whwelbase and nice and low.

The seat moves fine forward and back. Will have to secure it to the seat once I'm happy with the tune.

The only downside is you feel abit of the bass through your backside when in the passenger seat. I don't mind it but some others may not.

I may have to order some more of these units to add to my other cars.
BMW’s
84 E24 M635csi
90 E34 M5 3.6
94 E34 540i/6 SC E85
97 E36 M3 euro SC U/C
97 Z3 2.8 widebody

OTHERS
11 Audi S5 3.0 SC
19 VW Amarok V6
Brucey
6 Series Guru
6 Series Guru

Post by Brucey »

given that the seats can be adjusted within a gnat's of the floor, and move around somewhat etc I've always assumed that if you put a sub underneath the front seat, there would be a danger of a clash of some kind, or that some part of the range of seat adjustments would be restricted.

If you have any details of what space the sub takes up and which seats you have/what adjustment remains I'm sure that would be of interest to others.

cheers
~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
GazM3

Post by GazM3 »

I have the factory sport seats. The subby mounts longatudly (longest is front to back of the car not side to side) and "floats" with the seat when you move it forward or backward. I have full range height adjustment also.

I covered all the wires in that black corugated conduit with the slot in the side. I should have taken photos but I was pretty limited on time. I'll see if I can do some pics on the weekend.
BMW’s
84 E24 M635csi
90 E34 M5 3.6
94 E34 540i/6 SC E85
97 E36 M3 euro SC U/C
97 Z3 2.8 widebody

OTHERS
11 Audi S5 3.0 SC
19 VW Amarok V6