OBC does not work. How do I get it out of the dash?

Post in this forum for topics relating to the interior.

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

mr brick driver

OBC does not work. How do I get it out of the dash?

Post by mr brick driver »

From what I understand, My OBC likely not working becase their might be a bad fuse in the control modolure. The other suspect is the light bar. In order to findout I think I will actually have to remove the unit. What are the steps to getting it out of the dash? I will try to post a picutre of it tommorw, it seems differnt then most of the other OBCs that I have seen pictures of.
ghostinhere13

Post by ghostinhere13 »

most of the obc units ive seen all require removal of the entertainment center console. thats how i got mine out. there's 4 screws on the back of it holding it in to the console. good luck friend, its an electrical nightmare under there. :(
mr brick driver

ghostinhere13 wrote:most of the obc units ive seen all require removal of the entertainment center console. thats how i got mine out. there's 4 screws on the back of it holding it in to the console. good luck friend, its an electrical nightmare under there. :(

Hmm, trying to figure how frusterating of a task this might be. From just looking at the car, it looks like the console that holds the window switches in will have to be removed. What is the process for this. Deafinitly dn't want to break stuff.
ghostinhere13

Post by ghostinhere13 »

umm.. ya, basically you have to remove the e-brake center console. which mine is busted, so i just pull the plastic part out that bumps up to the rear of the center console which holds the window switches. i have a manual gearbox, so i had to remove the shift knob and pull the boot out, disconnect all the window switches. and then start removing screws that hold the console in up near the driver and passengers foot room area. then once you start to pull out on it you realize how big of an electrical nighmare this can get if you dont take mental or literal pictures of how evertying goes. there's a harness for the obc itself, and then whatever sort of radio set up you have, along with the crossfader unit if you still have the stock set up. and maybe a few other options depending on your year/model and what it came with. altogether it took me about 2 hours to pull it all out and put it all back together. it's not as bad as some messes i've gotten myself into with this car.
Chris Wright

Post by Chris Wright »

Here is what the factory fiche has on the subject. The arrow in the top pic on the left is a screw location under the brush.The front is held by two tabs that fit into notches at the front. Remove it and the 2 screws under the blanking plates to the rear (next pic below) and slide the floor console to the rear. The rest is as gohostinhere13 describes. Have fun! :wink:
Attachments
Factory fiche - poor quality copy
Factory fiche - poor quality copy
Consol.jpg (55.87 KiB) Viewed 12494 times
eee

Post by eee »

There are instructions (with pictures) on the russian e24 site (in English). The address is www.e-24.ru. I printed it off but haven't got around to doing it yet.
Good luck and let us know how you get on.
Regards
E
mr brick driver

Thanks for the details. I'm now confident that this is something that I can handle. I have decided that I wan't to allow for a little more time to do this project, so I'm going to wait until next weekend, when I'm not studying for an accounting exam. Also, while I have the dash partway appart, is their a way I can repalce light bulb for the fan control motor as it does not work. I'm thinking that Once I'm in their, it might be good to replace all of the bulbs as prevenitive maintance.

Thanks again, Nick
cgpiper

Post by cgpiper »

eee wrote:There are instructions (with pictures) on the russian e24 site (in English). The address is www.e-24.ru. I printed it off but haven't got around to doing it yet.
Regards
E
I'm at the point where I need to dig in and replace the OBC (1985 LHD). Page 2 of the Russian photograph pages is missing... does anyone by chance have the photos copied? Or know if the link is simply mis-labeled?
Chris Wright

Post by Chris Wright »

cgpiper wrote:
eee wrote:There are instructions (with pictures) on the russian e24 site (in English). The address is www.e-24.ru. I printed it off but haven't got around to doing it yet.
Regards
E
I'm at the point where I need to dig in and replace the OBC (1985 LHD). Page 2 of the Russian photograph pages is missing... does anyone by chance have the photos copied? Or know if the link is simply mis-labeled?
Don't forget the Factory Workshop Mnual:
http://www.malloc.nl/BMW/635CSi/pages/e ... l#refertoc
JAWS

OBC removal...

Post by JAWS »

Actually you don't have to tear apart the whole center console/dash to remove the OBC. I was lucky enough at the time I removed mine to have my CD/radio player out , and was able to access the 4 scews holding the OBC in from the back and unplug the unit and work on it without tearing apart the dash. Just remove the radio and reach through the opening where the radio is and access the back of the OBC there. There is just no way to totally pull it out through that opening , wont fit. But if you can work on it without removing it , this way will work.
Gespy

Re:

Post by Gespy »

cgpiper wrote: Wed Feb 25, 2015 8:33 pm
Regards
E
So I know that this request is 5 years old at this point, but I used the wayback machine to retrieve the now broken webpage on the russian site. https://web.archive.org/web/20101103161 ... tice/862/2
This is the first page http://www.e-24.ru/eng/practice/862.shtml