Leatherique Interior Project Begins

Post in this forum for topics relating to the interior.

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

MSGGrunt

Re: Leatherique Interior Project Begins

Post by MSGGrunt »

Thanks for all of the compliments. It was a big project but once it was all back together the total package looks great. I'll try to post some decent pictures this weekend. I still have some small detail work to do in the cabin, like clean the seats, put the cluster back in and plug everything back in.

For the plastic bits I took the triangular trim piece from the rear AC that had already been dyed to a local automotive paint supplier and asked if he could color match the leather piece in a paint that would work on plastic. He did and put it in a custom spray can for me. The match was perfect. Only time will tell how they wear but, I am confident they will hold up well.
Attachments
DSCN3303.JPG
DSCN3303.JPG (123.62 KiB) Viewed 9465 times
v-wiz

Post by v-wiz »

I have a question, as im in the middle of my interior refresh. When you sprayed the dye, was there alot of dust? Im trying to figure if I need to completely cover my garage or can i spray my seats in an open areas?
MSGGrunt

Post by MSGGrunt »

I have very little experience spraying anything that wasn't out of a rattle can so I don't have much to compare it to. I sprayed in my home built spray booth that was about 12' by 10' ish and there was a bit of dust. When I sprayed in my 22' by 28' garage with the door open it was much less. I still wouldn't leave anything uncovered that you don't want to get dry overspray on, like a car, garden tractor, etc. The detail gun did produce more than the air brush but, I really wouldn't use anything but the detail gun when and if I have to do any more spraying, if for no other reason than for its much larger cup capacity. But I also liked the larger spray fan of the detail gun.
v-wiz

Post by v-wiz »

MSGGrunt wrote:I have very little experience spraying anything that wasn't out of a rattle can so I don't have much to compare it to. I sprayed in my home built spray booth that was about 12' by 10' ish and there was a bit of dust. When I sprayed in my 22' by 28' garage with the door open it was much less. I still wouldn't leave anything uncovered that you don't want to get dry overspray on, like a car, garden tractor, etc. The detail gun did produce more than the air brush but, I really wouldn't use anything but the detail gun when and if I have to do any more spraying, if for no other reason than for its much larger cup capacity. But I also liked the larger spray fan of the detail gun.

I purchased the gun you recommended from Harbor freight. So you recommend covering the garage? i have to find masking nylon big enough now.
MSGGrunt

Post by MSGGrunt »

I didn't cover anything in my garage and I don't have a lot of overspray everywhere. I wouldn't spray with an uncovered car in the garage just to be on the safe side though and anything else you absolutely didn't want overspray on like a garden tractor or tool box I would cover.
hornhospital
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by hornhospital »

It's been several months....how are they holding up?
Ken Kanne
'84 633CSi "Sylvia"; '85 635CSi "Katja";'85 325e "Hazel Ann"; '95 M3 "Ashlyn"
MSGGrunt

Post by MSGGrunt »

I am very pleased with the results. The car doesn't get driven all that much and only the drivers seat gets any wear but, with that being said, I have seen no wear. The car has been put away for the winter and I am actually starting another leather dying project on an E30 convertible I bought. The leather on the back seat had cracked so I had in recovered. I will use the new leather as a sample swatch and have Leatherique match the dye to it and redye the rear seat bottom piece as well as both front sport seats. The color is blue indigo and looks nice with the Aline White exterior.
imissedtheapex

Post by imissedtheapex »

MSGGrunt wrote:Swapped driver's seat that is now the passenger's seat with some cracks filled. My advice with the crack filler... only put it in the crack and be careful not to get it anywhere on the seat that it is not needed as this stuff does not sand easily. I'd recommend an artist spatula as the "perfect" tool for applying this. It is small and allows for precise placement of the filler.

is there an "after" picture that shows the effect of the crack filler once dried and painted?
Mark Shutt

Post by Mark Shutt »

what I found with the crack filler is it shows through the dye a little bit due to not being able to rub it down very well, so what I did was give a few coats of dyen then flat the dye a little. the dye dries very quickly so this can be done almost straight as and where necessary..

this is how mine turned out, I bought the dye from Bespoke Leathering on eBay.

Mark.
1988 635csi Auto Highline, Royal blue with Lotus white.
viewtopic.php?f=25&t=26461&p=189478#p189478
imissedtheapex

Post by imissedtheapex »

Mark Shutt wrote:what I found with the crack filler is it shows through the dye a little bit due to not being able to rub it down very well, so what I did was give a few coats of dyen then flat the dye a little. the dye dries very quickly so this can be done almost straight as and where necessary..

this is how mine turned out, I bought the dye from Bespoke Leathering on eBay.

Mark.

Mark, is this lotus white the original paint code from the 80s or the lotus white that is available now? This looks amazing! does the crack filler "feel" like leather or can you really tell that it's different?
Mark Shutt

Post by Mark Shutt »

original Lotus white, I used very little filler as my seats were in very good condition just a little tired looking, most cracks simply flatted out but I inevitably had to use some filler, the less you use the better!

can't really tell from feel where the filler is as it's very flexible.
1988 635csi Auto Highline, Royal blue with Lotus white.
viewtopic.php?f=25&t=26461&p=189478#p189478
imissedtheapex

Post by imissedtheapex »

whatever you do, do NOT go into Ebay and search for "bespoke leathering" lolol. That is not what I expected - bondage suits etc. Found the correct company though via google...
Jono B good

Post by Jono B good »

imissedtheapex wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2017 5:43 pm whatever you do, do NOT go into Ebay and search for "bespoke leathering" lolol. That is not what I expected - bondage suits etc. Found the correct company though via google...
LOL :lol:
~Cirrusblau-Metallic~
GazM3

Post by GazM3 »

I done a lotus white job on e34 but I wasn’t happy with it as done with a sponge. The air brush method would be significantly better imo. Having the car in and out of the mechanics hasn’t helped as white leather with grease don’t go so well.

I picked up a black interior and seperate Grey sport seats. The crack filler I used to patch some nasty stuff on the drivers seat prob a 1cm hole and the usual wear at the bolster. After about 7 coats of the crack filler it’s bonded better than expected. I’ll get hold of an airbrush kit and go from there.
BMW’s
84 E24 M635csi
90 E34 M5 3.6
94 E34 540i/6 SC E85
97 E36 M3 euro SC U/C
97 Z3 2.8 widebody

OTHERS
11 Audi S5 3.0 SC
19 VW Amarok V6