Raining Red Pixie Dust

Post in this forum for topics relating to the interior.

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

brtele

Raining Red Pixie Dust

Post by brtele »

When I drive my car with the sunroof open or the windows down the interior gets a light dusting of red particles. I've seen pictures of interior headliner renovations where this red material/insulation stems from. Is there a thread on this subject and how to stop/reduce the red dust? I've searched headliner but not coming up with a relevant thread.

Every week I have to wipe down the dash, center console and passenger seat due to the red dust (I would still wipe the car down if the dust wasn't there, but it's bugging me that within a few days I've got little red particles).

I hope this stuff isn't asbestos. My Wife would really think I'm crazy if I came home driving with a respirator. I'd have to tell her, "It's all part of the driving experience".

Anyways, any advice is appreciated regarding red dust reduction.

Thanks,

Brandon
'83 633, 5 speed manual, daily driver
'66 Ford Mustang, 302, Auto
'89 Ford Bronco, 5.0EFI, Auto
Brucey
6 Series Guru
6 Series Guru

Re: Raining Red Pixie Dust

Post by Brucey »

it is just foam from the back of the headlining I think. Maybe there is a way to stabilise what is left there, I don't know.

What I do know is that you can access the front part of the headlining fairly easily, and if the majority of the dust is coming from there, you might be able to reduce it considerably by removing all the loose material from that area in one go. Perhaps you can use a skinny pipe on a vacuum cleaner to remove some from further back too...?

cheers
~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
songzunhuang
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by songzunhuang »

Brucey, is the front part accessed by removing the panel that the sunvisors are mounted on?

I've got another weird problem where I can feel a chunk of something behind the headliner material just to the left of the drivers head. I don't know if the foam liner can harden and break off in chunks over time, but something is definitely there.

If I lightly tap on this chunk of something, I can tell it is not attached to anything. I can scoot it along along the left side. Oh what mysteries this car holds for me!
-----
Song Huang
1984 633CSi
Last 7 of VIN: 6997383
songzunhuang
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by songzunhuang »

songzunhuang wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2016 4:56 pm Brucey, is the front part accessed by removing the panel that the sunvisors are mounted on?

I've got another weird problem where I can feel a chunk of something behind the headliner material just to the left of the drivers head. I don't know if the foam liner can harden and break off in chunks over time, but something is definitely there.

If I lightly tap on this chunk of something, I can tell it is not attached to anything. I can scoot it along along the left side. Oh what mysteries this car holds for me!
The chunk is still there. Nobody came to my rescue. Oh well, it only bugs me when I think about it.
-----
Song Huang
1984 633CSi
hornhospital
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by hornhospital »

Yoiu may not want to know what it is. Could be Jimmy Hoffa, or the Lindbergh baby. :shock:
Ken Kanne
'84 633CSi "Sylvia"; '85 635CSi "Katja";'85 325e "Hazel Ann"; '95 M3 "Ashlyn"
songzunhuang
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by songzunhuang »

hornhospital wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:46 am Yoiu may not want to know what it is. Could be Jimmy Hoffa, or the Lindbergh baby. :shock:
LOL, some afternoon when I have a lot of time to kill, I'll dig into this. Everytime I try something "simple" in this car, it ends up taking all day. Without fail I'll discover something else that needs to be done while I am fixing an issue. I fully expect that to be the case here. I think I have to remove the front sunvisors and the trim piece to access this, but I am not sure.

This is another entry on my ToDo.
-----
Song Huang
1984 633CSi