Tyre/wheel warning decals

Post in this forum for topics relating to the interior.

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

DRPM635CSi

Tyre/wheel warning decals

Post by DRPM635CSi »

Has anyone had any luck contacting Michelin for reproduction copies of old TRX warning labels or decals for the jacking equipment and the plastic wheel hub spanner? I found a very badly damaged TRX warning sticker on my genuine original TRX wheel hub removal spanner. I managed to get it off and to clean the glue off it, but it's still very badly damaged. It's a warning decal about only fitting metric tyres to the wheels etc. I figure rather than just toss it, I'd like to try and replace it to go along with the other warning labels I have on the inside of the bootlid pertaining to both the TRX spare & ALPINA fitted road wheels. Just makes it a bit more original & complete. Anyone ever got a response from a Michelin historic or heritage department who might deal with such requests?
dwcains

Re: Tyre/wheel warning decals

Post by dwcains »

I'll bet this gentleman can make the decal for you, if you can provide a reasonable template:

http://www.pukardesigns.com/
Dean
Lutz, FL

'85 635 CSi Euro #9402254
'87 Spider Veloce
'92 Spider Veloce
'08 350Z

DRPM635CSi

Post by DRPM635CSi »

dwcains wrote:if you can provide a reasonable template
Nice link, thanks for that, but yeah I don't think I can. This is the sticker in question and as you can see it's pretty badly damaged. I can't even confidently make out the German & French writing correctly at the bottom. I've tried appealing to Michelin in France for help, but no reply as yet. It's pretty big too. Measures 69.5mm wide x 139mm tall.

I found it all crumpled up and torn stuck to the outside of the very old-style original circa 1984-85 plastic hub nut removal tool. The one with the full blind encapsulating hex head rather than just an open hex collar you put around the nut. If I can get a new one I won't put it back there because that hex head is actually very slightly tapered which means the decal can't sit straight & flat going around three sides of the hex shape. Instead it would be like putting a sticker on a witch's hat traffic cone. My intention is to instead afix it flat to a new boot carpet supporting spare wheel cover plate I'm having made up in composite material. That makes more sense to me as it will be there right as the warning on the only TRX wheel left in the car.

gug

Post by gug »

Those stickers were originally on the tread of new trx tires.
nos trx
nos trx
image.jpeg (183.28 KiB) Viewed 4082 times
DRPM635CSi

Post by DRPM635CSi »

Excellent! Thanks for that. I might stand a better chance in that case of obtaining new ones or reproductions. Obviously a much more common sticker than something produced one-off for a dodgy plastic hubcap tool inside an old BMW!
dwcains

Post by dwcains »

I've actually got a never-used TRX spare in my car, but sadly the sticker is not there. I think you've got enough text visible to make new stickers, as the English is almost all there, and the missing words in the other languages can easily be interpolated from that. I'd send that pic to Pukar and see what he thinks.
Dean
Lutz, FL

'85 635 CSi Euro #9402254
'87 Spider Veloce
'92 Spider Veloce
'08 350Z

DRPM635CSi

Post by DRPM635CSi »

dwcains wrote:I've actually got a never-used TRX spare in my car, but sadly the sticker is not there. I think you've got enough text visible to make new stickers, as the English is almost all there, and the missing words in the other languages can easily be interpolated from that. I'd send that pic to Pukar and see what he thinks.
I have heard from Kos @ Pukar who has confirmed that he can replicate the sticker from what I've got with the dimensions, so that's good if I have to go down that route. I have also just heard from Michelin's heritage department in France though, who say they understand my request and are looking into what they can provide directly. They say they do keep records of their stickers & decals as part and parcel of their historic intellectual property, so I think I'll wait and see where that leads first.

I took my flimsy little crap plywood spare wheel cover - cracked in 3 places - into my composites man yesterday are asked if he could replicate it in fibreglass for me. Easy done he says, finished in satin black too, but will take a couple of weeks to get onto. Since that's where the new sticker is going to go (since the spare is my last TRX), it's not a massive urgent rush. I have asked for the 220/55-390 version of the sticker to make more logical sense being stuck to the cover plate for the spare under the boot carpet.