what paint to use??

Post in this forum for topics relating to the interior.

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

crapshooter6

what paint to use??

Post by crapshooter6 »

Hey guys, I'm refinishing a set of rusty M3 manual frame rails to go into a '79 633 (as soon as I can find the right adapters) and I started painting with rustoleum,,,,well this crap wants to stay tacky even after a week so I've decided to go back to square one and ask someone who's done this....what's the right paint for these frame rails? Thanks!

Bob G
Crapshooter
jacko

Re: what paint to use??

Post by jacko »

=; Rust = POR 15
Jack
Arlington, Texas. USA

1989 635csi
Automatic
hornhospital
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by hornhospital »

If the Rustoleum is still tacky after a week, there was something wrong with the paint to begin with, or you have really terrible drying conditions.
Ken Kanne
'84 633CSi "Sylvia"; '85 635CSi "Katja";'85 325e "Hazel Ann"; '95 M3 "Ashlyn"
Da_Hose
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Da_Hose »

I second the POR-15. Although if it will see sunshine, you should clearcoat with something that has UV inhibitors.

Jose
1987 M6 - My dream car
crapshooter6

Post by crapshooter6 »

I'm a big fan of por-15 too, I've used it in the past, I just thought this might be a little quicker....I used Rust-oleum Rust Dissolver and it did take care of the rust on the frame rail, but I think I've used the wrong paint....I sprayed the rail with rust-oleum undercoating and then went back with rust-oleum flat black enamel paint. I'm thinkin the undercoating might not have been necessary....also, I'm trying to lube the frame rail so it slides back and forth like it should, but it's not freeing up like it should and this paint I've used doesn't look anything like the original factory paint would. I think I just need to start all over....any ideas?

Bob G
Crapshooter
alabbasi

Post by alabbasi »

Go to tractor supply and buy their hardener to mix in with the oil based paint. Rustoleaum is an oil based paint and will air dry. It could take a while depending on how think you applied it and the temps outside.
With best regards,
Al
85 M635, DFW, TX
bpoliakoff
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bpoliakoff »

Maybe I am wrong, but I have used both Por 15 and Rustoleum and am happy with Rustoleum. I do not believe that Por 15 can stop rust from spreading, as rust, once started, is in the metal and will creep from under the Por 15 or any paint layer. Only way to stop rust is to cut it out, back to solid metal.
81 Euro 635 M90 with motronic. Currently under a complete nut and bolt restoration. Pictures at
flickr.com/photos/bertsphotos.
alabbasi

Post by alabbasi »

POR is like an epoxy sealer. It stops rust from spreading by sealing the surface thus preventing further oxidization. It sets up like concrete once it dries which makes it resistant to chipping.
With best regards,
Al
85 M635, DFW, TX
bpoliakoff
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bpoliakoff »

I don’t know where I saw it,but within the last few days I saw a rating on various rust inhibitors. Rustoleum was equal to POR 15. Unless I am missing something, POR 15 is not an epoxy because it doesn’t haver a hardner mixed into it. As to finish, they equallyu have the same finish as I have used both on my cars suspension when it was apart and I can’t tell the difference
81 Euro 635 M90 with motronic. Currently under a complete nut and bolt restoration. Pictures at
flickr.com/photos/bertsphotos.
slofut

Post by slofut »

POR15 is a moisture cured urethane. 2 part, moisture being the catalyst. Very different from basic enamels. Try the spray brake cleaner test on both... I prefer KBS brand. Search MCU coatings, lots of interesting info!
'87 635csi, 5sp man, dk blu on pearl beige
'88 635csi, auto, black on grey
'63 BMW Isetta
'75 XJ6C, 2dr, warm 350
'86 XJ6, th700r4
'75TR6
'64 Olds 88 conv
"68 T120 Bonneville