Floor Mat Foam Coming Off Solution

Post in this forum for topics relating to the interior.

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

MSGGrunt

Floor Mat Foam Coming Off Solution

Post by MSGGrunt »

I have a set of really nice floor mats that came in a parts car that I bought and they had the typical foam on the pack crumbling off syndrome. What to do? I didn't want to just dispose of the mats as they were very high quality yet I didn't want foam "dust" all over the place. Solution?

Good Ole' Yankee Ingenuity and a can of As Seen on TV Flex Seal.

I sprayed the back of the mats with a heavy coat of this flexible rubber seal and let them dry. The Flex Seal bonded all of the loose and not loose foam together and the mats now have a rubbery, flexible back rather than the crumbling foam.
Attachments
DSCN4189.JPG
DSCN4189.JPG (408.72 KiB) Viewed 5988 times
DSCN4190.JPG
DSCN4190.JPG (316.81 KiB) Viewed 5988 times
DSCN4195.JPG
DSCN4195.JPG (376.18 KiB) Viewed 5988 times
flexseal3-1.jpg
flexseal3-1.jpg (64.46 KiB) Viewed 5988 times
hornhospital
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: Floor Mat Foam Coming Off Solution

Post by hornhospital »

Nice to see an endorsement of Flex Seal that doesn't have Phil Swift blathering on for 60 seconds.
Ken Kanne
'84 633CSi "Sylvia"; '85 635CSi "Katja";'85 325e "Hazel Ann"; '95 M3 "Ashlyn"
dwcains

Post by dwcains »

Thanks, mine could definitely use that treatment.
Dean
Lutz, FL

'85 635 CSi Euro #9402254
'87 Spider Veloce
'92 Spider Veloce
'08 350Z

LarryM

Post by LarryM »

I'm trying to save my BMW floor mats and this looks like a great solution, assuming it works.

For anybody that's used the Flex Seal brand spray foam, how well does it hold up over time? I wouldn't want anything that flakes off and gets stuck in the carpet like the foam from the O.E mats did.
1985 635CSi
1987 535is
1965 Impala SS
Tommys 89 635

Post by Tommys 89 635 »

My OEM mats finally failed and the foam backing flaked off and I just sprayed them recently with flex seal. It seems to adhere pretty well so for me too soon to tell but I use rubber mats too. I sure hope it holds up.
Tommy
1989 635 CSI (Second owner since Jun 1995, driven daily and retired in 2013 with 295k to occasional driving)
2011 335D (Daily driver) with 103,550
Da_Hose
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Da_Hose »

I did an experiment completely peeling off the backing, and scraping off all the residue from the back of my driver side mat. I then DOUSED the back with plasti-dip. All these spray on sealing type chemicals are basically the same damned product, so you can't go wrong. End result feels really durable, and holds on well.

I do have new mats, with an M6 logo in the old girl though. What I need is something to hold the mats in place, and I have found the answer with Eagle Klaw floor mat clips.

https://eagleklaw.com/

I installed a set on the driver side mat of my Saturn, and boy does it work! The "bolt" looks really professional on the mat, and the 5-fingered clip really holds on to the carpet. The back of the mat lays nice and flat, and installation was really easy. I will update this thread with pics. once I get the new mats installed.

I think that if you need to rejuvenate your mats, the way to go is the spray-on rubber sealer for the back, and the Eagle Klaw clips to hold them in place.

Jose
1987 M6 - My dream car
LarryM

Post by LarryM »

So I bought a 1 quart can of Flex-Seal and used a roller to apply it. The finished job looks quite durable although honestly it's not visually appealing. Of course, nobody sees the underside of the mats in the car anyway so there's that. Another coat would probably give them a more "finished" look but my OC self would always regard this as just a "band-aid" fix.

I had also considered a set of Cocomats (I've owned them before in a different car), but in the end I purchased a set of Lloyd "Ultimats" which I think better suit the character of the E24. They're very high quality and really do look much nicer than the OE mats which I think I'll just store away.
1985 635CSi
1987 535is
1965 Impala SS