Lighted M 5 speed shift knob - anyone do it?

Post in this forum for topics relating to the interior.

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

DennisLJacob

Lighted M 5 speed shift knob - anyone do it?

Post by DennisLJacob »

So I am interested in installing a lighted 5 speed M shift lever knob. I have one in my MZ3 and it's pretty nice looking in the dark. Has anyone installed one of these in their 6? Is the MZ3 oem knob retro fit-able in the 6? Or is there a after market lighted shift knob available. Inquiring minds want to know.
1987 M6, 1998 Dinan SC MZ3 Roadster
GRNSHRK
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Moderator response . . .

Post by GRNSHRK »

Hi Dennis, I noticed that you posted several new threads in the "Tech Articles" forum, but I have moved them to the correct forums :wink:

Please note that the Tech Articles forum is for just that, uh, tech articles, not enquiring and asking questions about your beloved 6er :-k

I hope you understand [-o<

BTW, nice model you have there, and welcome to the madness #-o
:mrgreen:
Bobbo
1980 633 CSi Cypress Green/Pearl Beige
2017 X5 M Sport Xdrive 35i Carbon Black/Ivory White
2005 330 Ci ZHP Cabrio Imola Red/Bone/Black
zinnocoupe

Re: Lighted M 5 speed shift knob - anyone do it?

Post by zinnocoupe »

I think I've seen a few people have done that on MyE28. Try searchy there.
1979 Euro 635ci no longer a basketcase, just a running rust bucket!
1977 530i Partially restored and running now!
1987 635csi 60K KM Garage Queen
DennisLJacob

Post by DennisLJacob »

I've actually found a pair of new weighted and lighted shift knobs from LeatherZ. I'll be installing one in a M6 with the added wiring adapter/loom. They look great and have a nice feel to them. So I'll be looking forward to their installation after finishing their audio system installs. That's taking longer than I planned, but no reason to rush the job as long as the outcome is pitch perfect. Or as close as one guy can do with keeping the stock look and locations.
francoid

Post by francoid »

Dennis, pictures pretty please?
guido

Post by guido »

Part number for the illuminated gear stick is: 25112229895

I should imagine it's just a case of taking power from the ashtray.
guido

Post by guido »

Installation similar to as shown here (this is for an E46 though): http://www.diymybmw.com/e46/oem-illumin ... tallation/
DennisLJacob

Post by DennisLJacob »

Here's a link to the unit LeatherZ makes:

https://www.leatherz.com/products/illum ... shift-knob

This knob is shorter than the ones linked to above. That rather appealed to me since the M6's have a rather leisurely long throw shifter. I haven't installed my units yet. It’s on my list of to do projects. I’m in the middle of updating and upgrading my audio systems in both of my M cars at the same time.
guido

Post by guido »

172$ seems quite a lot considering you can buy an OEM one from BMW in the UK for £115 = 150$.

This company, "M style" based in the UK also have an varied selection: http://www.mstyle.co.uk/bmw-3-series/e4 ... ctors.html
DennisLJacob

Post by DennisLJacob »

The site you gave only has 4 OEM BMW knobs, and none are lighted. The version that LeatherZ uses is the 69 pound, which is about $100. Then do the conversion to lighted. So I guess it is what the value of that conversion along with the OEM electrical parts so that you can just plug and play if your car all ready had the wiring. If it didn't, then add the kit to let you install it. But that choice is up to you. You can do the conversion yourself if you are enterprising. I decided for me, it was smarter to let someone else do the conversion. If they screwed up, it was on their dime and not mine.
francoid

Post by francoid »

The fun thing is, there's always a way to spend money on our cars. I like, but do I like enough for $200? Not sure yet... In any case, hands full right now. Maybe it'll be a Christmas present.
guido

Post by guido »

DennisLJacob wrote:The site you gave only has 4 OEM BMW knobs, and none are lighted. The version that LeatherZ uses is the 69 pound, which is about $100. Then do the conversion to lighted. So I guess it is what the value of that conversion along with the OEM electrical parts so that you can just plug and play if your car all ready had the wiring. If it didn't, then add the kit to let you install it. But that choice is up to you. You can do the conversion yourself if you are enterprising. I decided for me, it was smarter to let someone else do the conversion. If they screwed up, it was on their dime and not mine.
This is not something I'm looking at doing, just giving you a few options. IMO if I were to do it I'd stick to a BMW one.
DennisLJacob

Post by DennisLJacob »

Hi Guido, I'm not certain we are comparing the same items. The LeatherZ knob is a OEM ZHP BMW knob that is then converted to being illuminated. It's available in 5 speed or 6 speed variants. I'm hoping at least for the M6, that the slightly shorter height and the slightly weighted, will give the knob less vibrations and help shorten the throw of the rather long M6 shift pattern. If you google the ZHP BMW knob, it gets high reviews for ergonomics and feel. But until I install it/them, I won't be able to give an opinion on feel and performance. My MZ3 has a short shift kit installed, so with a shorter knob, it will feel pretty different I think. We will see.

Dennis