Heating works at low speed, dies above 30 mph

Post in this forum for topics relating to the interior.

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

Da_Hose
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: Heating works at low speed, dies above 30 mph

Post by Da_Hose »

Actually, waterless coolant has been around for some time, but early versions were not so good. I recall that at first, some folks tried just straight ethylene glycol and it didn't work well. I think it would get too thick in the cold. Evans figured out that if you mix polyethylene glycol with regular ethylene glycol, and add some "secret sauce" types stuff that it would work well for cars, and it really does.

Now that Evans has a patent on their process, I don't know if others could mix their own brand up and sell it. If the big companies were to start selling it, then maybe BMW and others would be willing to make the shift. It would be hard to justify the expense though, because the existing coolants do work quite well and actually are more efficient than waterless coolant, but the gains of switching make it appealing for folks like me.

Hopefully the inexpensive valve lasts you and you can enjoy your 6er, rather than wrench on it.

Cheers all.

Jose
1987 M6 - My dream car
francoid

Post by francoid »

Received the part, it's pretty neat and it was very inexpensive. Looked at the valve body, it's bolted very close to the firewall. Looks pretty tight, difficult to change the valve without unbolting the valve body from the firewall. Folks who did the repair, how did you do it? In place or unbolted?
Thanks
Brucey
6 Series Guru
6 Series Guru

Post by Brucey »

IIRC undo the mounting, but no need to disconnect the hoses from the valve body.

cheers
~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
francoid

Post by francoid »

Makes sense, that's what I was considering. Will go ahead today. Thanks
francoid

Post by francoid »

Da_Hose
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Da_Hose »

Ditto what Brucey said. Unbolt from firewall, then unscrew 4 screws from the top. I recall that coolant doesn't overflow either, as the valve is the highest point in the system. Don't quote me on that though. Definitely put a catch pan underneath to play it safe.

Jose
1987 M6 - My dream car