Radio stuck

Post in this forum for topics relating to the interior.

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

francoid

Radio stuck

Post by francoid »

Mom had warned me there would be days like that...

PO fit a non OEM BMW radio in there. It's stuck on right hand side. I thought lifting the little tab would do the trick, but for some reason that does not appear to work. Any advice welcome.

Thanks

Brucey
6 Series Guru
6 Series Guru

Re: Radio stuck

Post by Brucey »

radios are retained in the cage in various different ways. The usual thing is that you prod a tool of some kind down the gap (or into holes) and this pushes the locking barbs out of engagement so that the radio will slide out OK.

If it isn't obvious what kind of release tool ought to work (you can buy kits containing several different types BTW) and you can't see down the gap, and no-one knows, then I'd suggest trying to google image search your radio model; with luck you should find an image with the retaining tabs visible.

cheers
~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
francoid

Post by francoid »

Thank you Brucey. Unfortunately, I have already tried this. I have the tools, and have tried with them. Left side works. Right side is stuck. I suspect something is defective in the radio locking on that side. So the question becomes, how to remove it when it's stuck ](*,) ?
Brucey
6 Series Guru
6 Series Guru

Post by Brucey »

I suspect that the barbs are just not releasing properly. This could be because they are damaged, or it could be that they don't quite work in the way you think they do. Either way, getting a look at a similar unit can only help.

cheers
~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
dwcains

Post by dwcains »

Maybe try slipping in something slim, like a feeler gauge, to pop the clips free? If all else fails, the console comes out pretty easily, and will allow access from front and back.
Dean
Lutz, FL

'85 635 CSi Euro #9402254
'87 Spider Veloce
'92 Spider Veloce
'08 350Z

francoid

Post by francoid »

Thank you Lutz. I fear I'll have to remove the console indeed. Never did before. Any pointers? Thank you
rhanley 635csi89
Bigcoupe Contributor
Bigcoupe Contributor

Post by rhanley 635csi89 »

Here you go. Hopefully this opens as I've move over to a Mac pro and am having issues with copy/paste.

BMW Center Console and AC Bov Removal for E24 with Rear AC %284%29 (1)
89 635CSiA (11/88 build)
AlpineWeiss II (218)/Natur(0200)
87 L6 635CSI Sold
87 MB 560SL Sold
francoid

Post by francoid »

Thank you Ron, does not appear that the attachment made it though. It may however be for the rear console, the one with secondary AC, right?

Last night I spent an hour searching through old posts and had a couple good finds. Most importantly I found a reference to an online repair manual which is pure gold, did not know it was available (sure most of you old timers are aware though): http://www.malloc.nl/BMW/635CSi/pages/e ... l#refertoc

With this, I should be fine disassembling. I'll still try to avoid it if I can, will work on it this morning a bit, but if it comes to that I have the full set of instructions.

Thanks again
francoid

Post by francoid »

I bit the bullet and pulled the console. First time for me to do that job and I fumbled around a bit until I understood I need to pull not just the upper part (the plastic one) but the full console (plastic plus plywood). Pulling it out was the right thing, the radio was stuck in a manner I would not have been able to fix otherwise. There were two metallic tabs holding it that I had to rip away, one on each side (see copper colored on the picture).

With this, phase 1 of the job is complete, now on to the important phases where I can actually do something... ;)

miike87

Post by miike87 »

Normaly you should be able to pull out the radio of the frame. The frame can stay in the console. Some BMW radios fit in there without this frame.
M635 CSi 15.05.1984
Delivered: 199 Burgundrot, 159 Leather black, S2941A Kreuzspeiche, S401A SHD el., S510A headlight aiming, S664A Bavaria Electronic, S680A antenna man.
Today: 086 schwarz, BMW/BBS RC035/RC038, Bavaria C Electronic
francoid

Post by francoid »

That's been my experience as well, but not this specific model, for some reason.

Anyway, it's done and I am waiting for my Continental CDD7418UB-OR as a replacement for what was already not the OEM radio. It's somewhere between Germany and the US right now. The Continental is modern (Bluetooth, CD, USB, etc) but with compatible looks and colors, not like the ugly Christmas trees that seem to be mostly in fashion these days...