Radio Bracket?

Post in this forum for topics relating to the interior.

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

gte619n

Radio Bracket?

Post by gte619n »

Hey guys! I just removed the aftermarket radio that the PO installed in M635CSi. After removing it, it seems like it was just hanging on the edge of the console panel. I'm planning on going back to an OE radio and then using one of the "hidden" bluetooth amplifiers to actually run the stereo. Is there supposed to be a support bracket of some kind in there? There looks to be a single screw post (?) on the bottom, but nothing on top?

Any guidance would be appreciated.
Evan Ruff, Atlanta GA, Engineer
1970 Ford F100
1972 BMW 3.0CSi, L-Jet 3.5L
1978 Ferrari 308GTB
1985 BMW M635CSi
2016 BMW M2
olympia57
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: Radio Bracket?

Post by olympia57 »

Perhaps you should speak to Ron .
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=27305
1981 635 series 1
gte619n

Post by gte619n »

I saw that post but was confused if it applied to my car. I assumed that we had DIN headunits by 1985 (a DIN unit certainly came OUT of the car) and wasn't sure if that bracket applied.
1970 Ford F100
1978 Ferrari 308GTB
1985 BMW M635CSi
2016 BMW M2
francoid

Post by francoid »

Couple thoughts here, if I may.

I am also doing a radio replacement from a non OEM BMW radio a PO had inserted. I decided to use the Continental CDD7418UB-OR which I got on eBay. Not cheap and it takes 4 weeks to come from Germany but I did not want to fiddle with a Bluetooth add on. I did that on my wife's Subaru 2 weeks ago and am very happy with the result, but if I was going to change the radio, I wanted to have even more integration (such as the radio automatically switching to the call, instead of having to push on the AUX button).

As far as brackets are concerned, it's accurate that brackets are not required for DIN radios, but there are some accommodations. Many OEM DIN radios have a rubber bumper in the back that is going to provide some form of support. The Continental does too; I have already checked in my car and it will play a (small) role. I am looking into building a female bracket to that bumper to provide more support.

BTW here's what I used for my wife's Subaru, since I did not want to replace the OEM radio:
iSimple Hands-Free Calling and Music Streaming Kit with Control Button for Smartphones - Frustration-Free Packaging - Black
Sold by: Amazon.com LLC
$77.48

Great with the AUX port. Not as much using the radio antenna (some interference).
gte619n

Post by gte619n »

That's an interesting head unit. Really nice appearance. Would you post some pictures with it in the car?

Also, why not the TR7412UB-OR? No CD but it looks like they are a little more available.

Shame you can't change the backlight color.
1970 Ford F100
1978 Ferrari 308GTB
1985 BMW M635CSi
2016 BMW M2
francoid

Post by francoid »

I'll post ASAP, still have parts all over due to mission creep ;)

For the M car, I stick to OEM religiously, but for the daily driver 635, functionality matters.

I wanted the full range of capabilities (CD, USB, BT, AUX port which I'll wire from the back to connect with a Sirius receiver, etc). The unit is as look appropriate as I've seen any modern, non OEM unit, even the colors are in the spirit of the car. Main gripe is that unit lacks low level output jacks, which means more equipment and connections, but otherwise it's pretty sweet.
Scribe

Post by Scribe »

Hi;

I'm also planning to fit the Continental CDD7418UB-OR unit – looks an ideal replacement for the glitzy '90s unit in the 635 I've just bought. Is there enough room inside the dash? I gather it's a bit tight with air-con in place. Did yours fit in without projecting forward?
Thanks,
Scribe, London