Removal of carpet/cardboard padding in trunk - portion behind the back seats/firewall

Post in this forum for topics relating to the interior.

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

francoid

Removal of carpet/cardboard padding in trunk - portion behind the back seats/firewall

Post by francoid »

Hello, I am struggling with the removal of the carpet/cardboard padding in the trunk just behind the back seats/firewall. Just can't figure it out. It looks as if I would have to remove the torsion springs that maintain the trunk hood open, please tell me it ain't so? What am I missing?
Thanks
Da_Hose
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: Removal of carpet/cardboard padding in trunk - portion behind the back seats/firewall

Post by Da_Hose »

I slides onto clips. You pull it toward you (rear end) and it will unhook. Then it drops down and you can push it forward to remove it. Careful not to tear the pieces that hook on. Someone broke all the hanging tabs on mine. Have to figure out if I will scrap it, or fix it.

Jose
1987 M6 - My dream car
francoid

Re: Removal of carpet/cardboard padding in trunk - portion behind the back seats/firewall

Post by francoid »

Ok, I've been trying, but I am concerned of tearing it up... Put a lot of force into it already and no joy. Hate these non mechanical things... I'll try again.
francoid

Post by francoid »

#@$%

I managed to remove it, but damaged the cardboard where it hooks at the retainers close to the torsion springs. Oh well, one more thing to repair.

At least now I know how she's done down there. And I was able to pull the remaining cables.

Thanks
GRNSHRK
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by GRNSHRK »

Here's a couple of pix for ya, the 3 tab locations along the top are visible and you can also "sorta" see the 2 on the bottom, when it's installed :-k

It might help if you can actually crawl inside the boot (trunk, for you Yanks :roll: ) and look up in there, if you're a little shit like I am #-o
Attachments
IMG_1881-sm.jpg
IMG_1881-sm.jpg (88.13 KiB) Viewed 6550 times
IMG_1883-sm.jpg
IMG_1883-sm.jpg (111.8 KiB) Viewed 6550 times
:mrgreen:
Bobbo
1980 633 CSi Cypress Green/Pearl Beige
2017 X5 M Sport Xdrive 35i Carbon Black/Ivory White
2005 330 Ci ZHP Cabrio Imola Red/Bone/Black
francoid

Post by francoid »

Wow, mine looks so different... I'll make a picture! Basically, I see no metal on top, there's carpet all the way back. That may be why I struggled!

What kind of screws did you use to attach your amp? I am just at the point of figuring what I want to use.

Thank you

PS: I did crawl into the trunk, after removing the spare wheel. Not really my favorite thing, but I had to do it...
GRNSHRK
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by GRNSHRK »

Does the material look different or how it attaches :-?

Could be the difference in model years, mine being an '80 :-k

But the material is certainly different, as I refinished my complete trunk :shock:

Here are before and after shots of that panel =D>

As far as fasteners for the amp, nothing special, but I did drill thru holes and used large OD washers on the back side with machine screws and nuts, so they do not simply thread into the cardboard [-X

But yeah, let's see what you've got \:D/
Attachments
IMG_1869-sm.jpg
IMG_1869-sm.jpg (74.06 KiB) Viewed 6545 times
IMG_1870-sm.jpg
IMG_1870-sm.jpg (82.24 KiB) Viewed 6545 times
Bobbo
francoid

Post by francoid »

Pictures coming soon, the material looks like the one at the bottom in your pictures.

I will use bolts and nylon nuts, that's what I had in mind. Metal screws did not look right.

Thank you!
francoid

Post by francoid »

Here's the carpet/cardboard, as you can see shape is quite different, extends completely under the rear dash (can also see damaged ears... :evil: ):

View of the trunk (what is that metallic pipe doing some sort of U shape?):
francoid

Post by francoid »

@Bobbo: where do you find the trunk carpet material? Looks really nice, and gives me great ideas for mission creep!
GRNSHRK
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by GRNSHRK »

Well, went through a friend and former board member, John Calvin, who was able to source it with whatever company he worked for, wholesale I think :-k

But it's literally called "trunk material" from what I remember :roll:

Talk about mission creep, what started as a 10 minute job of cleaning my battery terminals, to removing the battery and seeing that my tray was rusting out, to moving the battery to the trunk and completely refinishing the ENTIRE trunk in the process :shock:

Finished a month and a half later, the results were stunning, if I don't say so myself #-o

Still gotta finish the stereo wiring one of these days [-X
Attachments
IMG_1926-sm.jpg
IMG_1926-sm.jpg (114.72 KiB) Viewed 6525 times
IMG_1925-sm.jpg
IMG_1925-sm.jpg (133.6 KiB) Viewed 6525 times
Bobbo
francoid

Post by francoid »

Stunning indeed. I see more mission creep in my future!

Right now, still installing grommets and pulling wires, my first solution was not good enough, and my internal quality control authority issued a cease and desist notice. Remediation work underway.
DennisLJacob

Post by DennisLJacob »

Francoid, here's what I did to recycle the use of my back trunk panel. I had to shorten my top section to account for hiding the IB sub and amps, dsp unit and passive crossovers for the rear shelf speakers. I used small velcro tie down straps. I hooked them to the torsion bars, then when putting the trunk wall/ceiling back up, I pull the velcro straps down and just lay them around the felt material. They hook on to the material without any issues. Here are some photos:
Attachments
IMG_0786.jpeg
IMG_0786.jpeg (279.77 KiB) Viewed 6319 times
IMG_0785.jpeg
IMG_0785.jpeg (309.65 KiB) Viewed 6319 times
IMG_0787.jpeg
IMG_0787.jpeg (256.2 KiB) Viewed 6319 times
1987 M6, 1998 Dinan SC MZ3 Roadster
DennisLJacob

Post by DennisLJacob »

Here's what they look like with the carpet installed. My original clip slots were torn from a previous owner hack audio install. So I would have needed to do this no matter what I was going to be hiding behind the wall. This method seems to me to be the best alternative to scrapping the panel. I could shorten the velcro straps, but since you don't really see them when looking into the trunk, having them being a little long doesn't matter. What matters to me is seeing a oem looking trunk.
Attachments
IMG_0788.jpeg
IMG_0788.jpeg (262.27 KiB) Viewed 6317 times
IMG_0790.jpeg
IMG_0790.jpeg (269.15 KiB) Viewed 6317 times
IMG_0789.jpeg
IMG_0789.jpeg (252.97 KiB) Viewed 6317 times
DennisLJacob

Post by DennisLJacob »

Here's what's hiding behind door number 3:
Attachments
IMG_0760.JPG
IMG_0760.JPG (1.96 MiB) Viewed 6316 times
baders
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by baders »

Holy Hidden Amplifiers and Crossovers Batman !!! :shock:
1986 635csi LOCUTUS / Arktis Blau Metallic / Pearl Beige / S38B36/ Close ratio dogleg 5sp
2002 E46 M3 / Topaz Blau Metallic / Black Nappa / 6 speed SMG software tuned / Bilstein PSS10 Coilovers / CMP RACP reinforcement
DennisLJacob

Post by DennisLJacob »

I tried really, really hard to use as little space as possible. So the loss is only about a 10" deep by 14" tall triangle of space used. I can tell you I spent a lot of time sitting in the spare wheel well for hours and hours. I'm too old to be doing that work, but I persevered. The two crossovers are passive for the rear shelf drivers. It is a ScanSpeak driver package with a Madisound designed and built crossover. The package of drivers fit perfectly in the oem boxes with minor modifications. I took that approach before I decided to do the IB subwoofer. It took me quite amount of time to make that first cut. The middle item is the DSP that is active crossover for the front mid-woofer and tweeter and subwoofer. It includes the rear shelf speakers so that I can do independent settings for all the drivers. It is a 8 channel processor. I haven’t gotten to the DSP and RTA work yet. But so far it sounds great if I stopped right now.
Attachments
IMG_0775.JPG
IMG_0775.JPG (1.82 MiB) Viewed 6273 times