Honey, i think i shrunk the leather....

Post in this forum for topics relating to the interior.

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

ozbmwnut

Honey, i think i shrunk the leather....

Post by ozbmwnut »

As this pic shows, the buffalo leather in my car has shrunk quite a bit, no doubt because of no attention being paid to feeding the leather for years.....
My question is obvious.. can anyone suggest a way of stretching it? Or do i have no choice but to attempt to replace it...

Any input would be appreciated...
Attachments
DSC_0078 (1).jpg
DSC_0078 (1).jpg (1.53 MiB) Viewed 4494 times
3/1986 Complianced, Aust delivered E24. Bronzit with Pearl Beige.
Garage buddies: E9 3.0 csi Polaris Silver, blue leather ; E34 M5 Alpine White, Black extended leather ; E39 M5 Carbon Black, Caramel Heritage Leather.
brickwhite

Re: Honey, i think i shrunk the leather....

Post by brickwhite »

I have a set for one seat if interested...

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=25409
- 12 535i
- 92 325ic
guido

Post by guido »

Can you not try taking the seats out of the car, cleaning and then feeding them with leather conditioner/reviver, placing them in a black bin liner for 12-24hrs and then repeating the process until the leather becomes more supple? They may however be too far gone and/or require new foam padding.
dwcains

Post by dwcains »

One of my Alfa's had leather like that, and I used Leatherique to recondition them. I'd suggest their website:

http://www.leatherique.com/

When they're in better shape, I'd suggest the Gliptone leather conditioner for maintenenece. I'd buy this stuff by the gallon, if I could:

http://gliptone.com/retail/interior-ext ... -8-oz.html
Dean
Lutz, FL

'85 635 CSi Euro #9402254
'87 Spider Veloce
'92 Spider Veloce
'08 350Z

gte619n

Post by gte619n »

Dean's got it right on the head: Leatherique Rejuvenator. I would start with two 16oz bottles. Pull the car into the sun and apply HEAVY. Leave it on overnight. The leather will drink it all up. Repeat the process until you've gone through one of the bottles. Once you've finished one, do two treatments of pristine clean. Now, your seats are looking 100x better, but don't stop! That second bottle is when you'll be AMAZED. Same thing.

Be sure to wash your sponge between applications, the amount of dirt/oil/shmoo that is going to come off is pretty gross.

If you would, take pictures and post to the board! When I did my seats I didn't really have that high of hopes but now I'm kicking myself. The transformation, both visually and feel-wise, is incredible.
Evan Ruff, Atlanta GA, Engineer
1970 Ford F100
1972 BMW 3.0CSi, L-Jet 3.5L
1978 Ferrari 308GTB
1985 BMW M635CSi
2016 BMW M2