Interior roof trim removal?

Post in this forum for topics relating to the interior.

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

smtguy

Interior roof trim removal?

Post by smtguy »

I need to remove the front inside roof trim (don't know the official name of it) to re-glue the vinyl that has started to peel. This is the panel below the headliner running across the front top width of the car that the sunroof switch, rear view mirror, and sun visors seem to mount onto. Any ideas how it comes off?
Thanks in advance

Scott
1983 Bronzit 633CSi 5 speed
2004 Audi TT Quattro 6 speed

Scott
Pod
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: Interior roof trim removal?

Post by Pod »

Remove the two sun visors and retaining clips and the “A” post inner trims. Pull off the top of the door rubbers. The front is tucked in under the ‘screen rubber, but it can be carefully removed. You’ll have to disconnect the visor light and earth and sunroof switch. Then it’ll come out easily. There are a couple of clips which slide into the roof and may have broken. They are difficult to repair, so if that’s the case, I’d recommend using four black self tapping screws to retain the panel at the back edge when you re-install. They’ll hardly notice 😉
dwcains

Post by dwcains »

i've done this job a few imes on my car. The hardest part is getting the front edge of the header panel to tuck under the windshield rubber. I used a bunch of popsicle sticks, cut in half, to hold down the edge of the rubber. Space the sticks a few inches apart, and the panel will slide right in.

Dean
Lutz, FL

'85 635 CSi Euro #9402254
'87 Spider Veloce
'92 Spider Veloce
'08 350Z

smtguy

Post by smtguy »

Thank you both! I will give it a try.
Scott

Scott
gilach

Post by gilach »

i need to do this job now, have to replace the sunroof motor. how does the rear view mirror detach?
smtguy

Post by smtguy »

The mirror is spring loaded so it just pulls off - just make sure you pull on the stem, not the mirror itself. Also don't try to pry it off with a screwdriver, you will just mar the valance.

Scott
gilach

Post by gilach »

hmmm...thanks for your quick reply, when you say it pulls off, does it lift off a pad or mount? ie do you pull in a particular direction, ie pull upward toward the roof? I'm asking because it's solidly mounted in there, it doesn't seem to want to move. thanks in advance. I looked for a video but could not find one.

best, Paul.
bpoliakoff
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bpoliakoff »

Just pull down on it. The mounting part has a spring loaded ball at either end that holds it in place. So it just snaps in or out. No one has mentioned it, but when you pull the header panel out, slide it straight back. There are two clips that are attached to it and if you try to pull down you will break them off if you try to drop it before dis engaging the clips
81 Euro 635 M90 with motronic. Currently under a complete nut and bolt restoration. Pictures at
flickr.com/photos/bertsphotos.
smtguy

Post by smtguy »

What Bert said.
The fun comes during installation with trying to re-engage the clips and get the edge of the valence under the windshield rubber all at the same time. Don't be in a hurry, it takes time and patience.

Scott
gilach

Post by gilach »

ok, thanks for the description on the mirror removal and mechanism, i'll be sure to pull down via the stem and not the mirror. That helps a lot. And as for the trim, yes, I did read somewhere about the clips and how that should slide out, i can see the clips when in look in there. As for the trim fitting under the seal, yes I checked it out yesterday and it's seem's very snug. I'll keep you posted on my progress.
gilach

Post by gilach »

spring loaded: came out as instructed.
Attachments
20201010_141657.jpg
20201010_141657.jpg (628.96 KiB) Viewed 3832 times
20201010_141645.jpg
20201010_141645.jpg (539.91 KiB) Viewed 3832 times