Odd question: Are there different interior mirrors for RHD and LHD cars?

Post in this forum for topics relating to the interior.

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

matthewdesigns

Odd question: Are there different interior mirrors for RHD and LHD cars?

Post by matthewdesigns »

My windshield-mounted mirror does not pivot as far to the left as it does to the right, and I can just barely get it to pivot far enough to the left to allow me to align it for a proper look out the rear window. However if I sit in the passenger seat on the right I have a huge range of movement within which to align the view rearward.

This has lead me to wonder if there are differences between RHD and LHD parts. I do not see part numbers on realoem.com that would indicate a RHD counterpart, but I check in there with my VIN so perhaps I'm not getting a look at RHD-related parts. My car has had some incorrect parts installed elsewhere and its got me wondering whether the mirror was replaced in haste at some point.

Perhaps the stem is bent? Maybe there's an obstruction in the ball/socket where it pivots? Neither of these appear to be the case based on casual observation so I'm reaching out to you folks. Thanks!
'84 633CSi
Arctic White/Pearl Beige
MrE
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: Odd question: Are there different interior mirrors for RHD and LHD cars?

Post by MrE »

I'm honestly not sure, but using RealOEM my right-hand drive VIN (1887217) takes me here:
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/part?id ... 1161817122

...to part no. 51161817122. Same for you?

Note also though, my interior mirror is not windshield mounted, its affixed to the ceiling. Is yours mounted on the windscreen?
matthewdesigns

Post by matthewdesigns »

@MrE Thanks for running your RHD VIN for this part. That is indeed the same part number I get for my car. Hmm. Guess I'll live with it until I don't.

And yes, affixed to the ceiling not the windshield...thanks for specifying! Not sure how I overlooked that.
'84 633CSi
Arctic White/Pearl Beige
tschultz Online

Post by tschultz »

I have an E28 mirror that has limited movement to pivot. Maybe some junk got inside the ball/socket or maybe corrosion??
http://www.Drive4Corners.com
'79 635CSi Revival
'80 635CSi
'83 633CSi Callaway Turbo continued as 1988 535is Turbo
SOLD: '81 635CSi/A
matthewdesigns

Post by matthewdesigns »

I thought about pulling it and having a closer look. It will just more or less pop out of the base with a twist and pull, correct?
'84 633CSi
Arctic White/Pearl Beige