E12 based controls

Post in this forum for topics relating to the interior.

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

G03rt2

E12 based controls

Post by G03rt2 »

I'm having a hard time figuring out what does what, and what is original in my new purchase. The car is a 1981 Euro and I have 2 buttons under the steering wheel. One is marked "15" and is maintained when pushed in, then resets when a small red button under it is pushed. The other is just a dial, with no knob.
The other question is the piece in front of the shifter, at this point I don't even know if it belongs in the car. It doesn't look like the piece listed on realoem.com and from the other pictures I've seen, it doesn't look correct. If anyone can help me out, I'd appreciate it.
GRNSHRK
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: E12 based controls

Post by GRNSHRK »

Ooh, I can help =D>

the button with the "15" on it is a circuit breaker for the power window system, cuts power to all of them [-X

The one without the knob is a stereo fader, most likely not connected to anything, but you can pull that panel to find out :-?

The mysterious grill is for an aftermarket A/C system, which is why it doesn't look like anything on realoem :cry:

Looks like it was or still is connected to some wires :-k

Have fun sorting \:D/
:mrgreen:
Bobbo
1980 633 CSi Cypress Green/Pearl Beige
2017 X5 M Sport Xdrive 35i Carbon Black/Ivory White
2005 330 Ci ZHP Cabrio Imola Red/Bone/Black
G03rt2

Post by G03rt2 »

Thank you for chiming in GRNSHRK I've been lurking in this forum long enough to know that you're one of the few early E24 experts on the forum.
Eventually I'll introduce my car in the "my project" section.
The short story of it is that it's a 1981 with a 1989 motor swap in it. The AC looks aftermarket (minus the compressor) and since this car is kept in Wisconsin now, and it's not my daily driver I'm heavily leaning towards just ripping the whole system out and replacing that piece with the non-ac version. That's my way of "sorting" this out lol
G03rt2

Post by G03rt2 »

Oh. And that's an interesting place to put a stereo fader. Much like the circuit breaker for the windows, I'm guessing the designers saw it as something only the driver should have access to?
Hefeweizen

Post by Hefeweizen »

The button next to the "Nebel is a fog light switch (Nebel = Fog)
Rainer
03 330Xi (DD)
85 635CSi (RIP 3 May 19)
80 633CSi (Red Euro, Project)

"If you think a good European mechanic is expensive, try a bad one!"