Mystery spot in the toolkit box

Post in this forum for topics relating to the interior.

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

olympia57
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: Mystery spot in the toolkit box

Post by olympia57 »

ron wrote: Sat Jun 02, 2018 6:06 am
olympia57 wrote: Fri Jun 01, 2018 10:42 pm This fabled emergency window crank tool is like the dog that's crapping on my drive , known of but never seen...... :evil:
Can someone post a photo of the damned thing so I know what to go searching for .
Don
You shouldn't need one Don. Your window motors will already have the manual override fitted.
You've always told me that Ron ,and you will be 101% correct , but whenever someone looks at the tool kit the first thing they say is " pity it's incomplete ...."
I'd buy one just to fill the space in the tray.
Strange though ,I've googled it and although some images pop up they are a different shape to the indent in the tray.
I may just make an imitation one just to make it look complete . :lol:

If you look at the tray moulding that 86_6series mentions ,you'll see that the indent for that tool is different than the same on mine (ignore the blu tac in the trough ) , confusing .is it possible that that indent is for something else on that particular year of manufacture ?
1981 635 series 1
ron
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by ron »

olympia57 wrote: Sat Jun 02, 2018 10:15 am
I'd buy one just to fill the space in the tray.
I'll try and find one for you to give you peace of mind!
They are ALWAYS rustier than you thought!!!!!!
'85 M #228
'87 M #367
'88 High line.
'10 X5
‘84 Alfasud 1.5 ti
ron
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by ron »

ron wrote: Sat Jun 02, 2018 12:44 pm "peace of mind!"
On it's way.
'85 M #228
'87 M #367
'88 High line.
'10 X5
‘84 Alfasud 1.5 ti
DRPM635CSi

Post by DRPM635CSi »

Every claimed to be complete toolkit I've ever seen is always missing the Hirschmann antenna collar wing spanner tool. Not surprising really since I got the very last two in known existance from the desk drawer of a Hirschmann employee many years ago, but yeah, every toolkit is missing the bridge tool by Hirschmann for undoing the collar around the base of the antenna. The one with the two rectangular reliefs in it you've always just used a pair of circlip pliers to unscrew. There's actually a specific tool made by Hirschamann which is stored wrapped up inside the BMW cloth inside the toolkit.

Just for reference, Below is what a properly complete toolkit looks like with the antenna wipe, correct (yes that light blue colour without the logo is genuine and original) cloth + the Hirschmann wing collar spanner tool. This is an M635CSi toolkit, so it also contains the extra spanner for adjusting the throttle bodies.

Image Image
Pod
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Pod »

Oh dear, you’ve really started something now.. :lol:
DRPM635CSi

Post by DRPM635CSi »

Pod wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 6:01 pm Oh dear, you’ve really started something now.. :lol:
Maybe I should refrain from mentioning the two red plasticised-coated metal finger ring pull tools provided with the factory option DOM locking anti-theft wheel bolt kit often factory/dealer included as standard in the 80's too then? I see plenty of photos of toolkits with the DOM wheel lock kits included in the toolkit, but I've never seen the two red metal finger pull tools that were a part of that kit used for removing the plastic dust caps from the heads of the locking bolts. I have them in mine stored under the globe foam (along with the printed instructions for the kit), but my examples are the only ones I've ever seen. I expect as they're just a couple of bits of metal wire bent into a loop shape with a hook on the end and plastic-dipped red, they were just thrown out by the majority of owners along with the plastic bag and instructions they came with.

The only wheels I've actually seen with recessed enough bolt holes to make the DOM wheel lock dust caps sit flush with the hub and thus very difficult to get a finger nail behind to prise off are the genuine BBS forged 16x7.5" E28 ///M5 wheels.
Jono B good

Post by Jono B good »

O.K. so where is a pic with never seen tow hook in its' rightfull place? :-k
~Cirrusblau-Metallic~
sharkfan
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by sharkfan »

Did all E24's come with Hirschmann aerials?
2001 Alpina B10 V8 Touring (1 of 12 rhd)
1997 Alpina B12 5.7 L (1 of 2 rhd)
1995 Alpina B10 4.6 Touring (1 of 1 rhd)
1985 BMW M635CSi (1 of 524 rhd)
1982 BMW 635CSiA (1 of 100's left from the 1000's made and still valiantly fighting against a rusty grave)
DRPM635CSi

Post by DRPM635CSi »

sharkfan wrote: Thu Jul 26, 2018 6:24 pm Did all E24's come with Hirschmann aerials?
More than willing to be proved wrong, but I believe so yes. I certainly have never heard of or seen any other brand of antenna in an E24 aside from when an owner has replaced their broken or vandalised Hirschmann with a cheap and noisy aftermarket Chinese made piece of multi-fit generic crap from Radio Shack like mine had when bought. There were various different models of Hirschmann used throughout the ~14 year production run, some with four segment masts, others 5 segment etc, but I believe they were all Hirschmann. Perhaps really early cars with the antenna in the front fender instead the rear had something different? I don't know about that because really early cars are all extinct where I live.
sharkfan
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by sharkfan »

I only asked as I've had four E24's and none of them had Hirschmann aerials...
1982 BMW 635CSiA (1 of 100's left from the 1000's made and still valiantly fighting against a rusty grave)
DRPM635CSi

Post by DRPM635CSi »

sharkfan wrote: Fri Jul 27, 2018 8:22 pm I only asked as I've had four E24's and none of them had Hirschmann aerials...
Yeah that's not uncommon down here either. It was hilarious fun back in the day to snap car aerials or bend them into funny shapes. When that inevitably happened, the Hirschmanns were obviously expensive or downright impossible to repair depending on where you lived and whether there was a dealer in your country for them. They also mount in the car with an elaborate maze of ladder straps, unistrut and various screws and bolts that are completely incompatible with any other antenna. The easy solution was to take the car to the local car radio place and have some part-time car thief replace it with a Chinese multi-fit antenna instead that mounts only via the collar where it protrudes through the panelwork. A couple of crimp-on connectors later and you're away. Of course the mast would be too tall, the collar a different shape and style, extend/retract far too quickly and make an horrendous noise inside the cabin whilst doing so, but at least you'd be able to pick up radio stations again.

Retrofitting a genuine Hirschmann back in again to look original fit after some rabid babboon has done the above to your car, is neither easy nor much fun.
Jono B good

Post by Jono B good »

What wrench goes in the slot 3rd from the left? Achk! for the life of me I cannot source it at my local BMW wreckers.
~Cirrusblau-Metallic~
hornhospital
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by hornhospital »

Jono B good wrote: Sat Jul 28, 2018 1:27 am What wrench goes in the slot 3rd from the left? Achk! for the life of me I cannot source it at my local BMW wreckers.
It's a ring spanner. 12/13mm if I recall correctly. I'm too lazy to walk out and check. :(
Ken Kanne
'84 633CSi "Sylvia"; '85 635CSi "Katja";'85 325e "Hazel Ann"; '95 M3 "Ashlyn"
Jono B good

Post by Jono B good »

Thanks I think I still have some tools I squirreled away from when I owned my 2 5ers.
~Cirrusblau-Metallic~
bpoliakoff
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bpoliakoff »

DRPM635CSi wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 3:22 am Every claimed to be complete toolkit I've ever seen is always missing the Hirschmann antenna collar wing spanner tool. Not surprising really since I got the very last two in known existance from the desk drawer of a Hirschmann employee many years ago, but yeah, every toolkit is missing the bridge tool by Hirschmann for undoing the collar around the base of the antenna. The one with the two rectangular reliefs in it you've always just used a pair of circlip pliers to unscrew. There's actually a specific tool made by Hirschamann which is stored wrapped up inside the BMW cloth inside the toolkit.

Just for reference, Below is what a properly complete toolkit looks like with the antenna wipe, correct (yes that light blue colour without the logo is genuine and original) cloth + the Hirschmann wing collar spanner tool. This is an M635CSi toolkit, so it also contains the extra spanner for adjusting the throttle bodies.Image Image

What you are not patting yourself on the back for is the highly unobtainable and rare, telescoping "M" sparkplug wrench of which I happen to have two NOS ones.
81 Euro 635 M90 with motronic. Currently under a complete nut and bolt restoration. Pictures at
flickr.com/photos/bertsphotos.
bpoliakoff
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bpoliakoff »

DRPM635CSi wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 3:22 am Every claimed to be complete toolkit I've ever seen is always missing the Hirschmann antenna collar wing spanner tool. Not surprising really since I got the very last two in known existance from the desk drawer of a Hirschmann employee many years ago, but yeah, every toolkit is missing the bridge tool by Hirschmann for undoing the collar around the base of the antenna. The one with the two rectangular reliefs in it you've always just used a pair of circlip pliers to unscrew. There's actually a specific tool made by Hirschamann which is stored wrapped up inside the BMW cloth inside the toolkit.

Just for reference, Below is what a properly complete toolkit looks like with the antenna wipe, correct (yes that light blue colour without the logo is genuine and original) cloth + the Hirschmann wing collar spanner tool. This is an M635CSi toolkit, so it also contains the extra spanner for adjusting the throttle bodies.Image Image
No one is noticing the very, very rare telescoping "M" sparkplug wrench that is virtually unobtainable. I do happen to have 2 NOS ones
81 Euro 635 M90 with motronic. Currently under a complete nut and bolt restoration. Pictures at
bpoliakoff
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bpoliakoff »

Hered is what a correct "M" sparkplug wrench looks like
spark plug wrench-3.JPG
spark plug wrench-3.JPG (91.2 KiB) Viewed 12389 times
DRPM635CSi

Post by DRPM635CSi »

bpoliakoff wrote: Sat Jul 28, 2018 8:21 pm No one is noticing the very, very rare telescoping "M" sparkplug wrench that is virtually unobtainable.
To be fair, I think most are aware of this tool for the ///M engined cars. I did not realise they were NLA to be honest, but by the same token I'm not surprised. I do remember an early mechanic I used to take my car to telling me to never lose that tool otherwise he wouldn't be able to change my spark plugs for me. His own extension sockets had too thick walls to get down the ports and around the spark plugs and still be able to lift the plugs back out again. He presumably didn't have a set of long enough tube sockets to do the job, so he actually had to use the BMW tool in my toolkit to do the spark plugs.

I thought that was particularly naff of him to not have the correct tools to work on cars in his workshop equipment such that I as the owner actually had to provide him the correct tool as well. I stopped taking the car to him shortly thereafter. My socket has now been rechromed as there was some chipped bits flaking off and the exposed metal underneath was rusting, and stays in the toolkit never to be used again.
Jono B good

Post by Jono B good »

The way you have so much work put into your toolkit let alone your 6er I hope you invested in an alarm system. Or is the OEM alarm system working still? Don't worry I'm NOT going to fly to aussieland to nick your tool kit mate LOL :lol:
~Cirrusblau-Metallic~
Candycj1

Post by Candycj1 »

Hi Bert

As you seem to be the guru on toolkits I have a couple of questions you may be able to help with (tho anyone else with input please add too!)

I've been trying to complete my kit - was mostly empty when the car came to me but its almost there now. It had the small green handled screwdriver but not the long one - I got a new one from W&N supposedly for my model year (Euro 88) but it doesn't fit - the handle is slightly too fat and the wrench adapter doesn't fit either. Any idea if / where I could get the correct one (also is green the right colour for mine vs red or grey - what was the difference?)

The second thing is the medium 12/13mm ring spanner - it seems too short! mine measures about 125mm (same as the next size down) though the slot is nearer 160. I have seen pics of other 'complete' toolkits, one of which had the exact same issue - so am wondering if some simply came this way or if that particular one is hard to source?

The blue cloth is one I've carried over since I had an e28 535i 20+ years ago so I believe its period correct OEM - doesn't have the logo; does that look right? I have the more aqua coloured one like yours also, not sure which is more correct for an 88.

Lastly there's the emergency window tool - as per one of the other posts here I'd like to have one just to fit in the slot even tho my car doest need it - any idea where I can get one?

Many thanks in advance!
James
bpoliakoff
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bpoliakoff »

I know of at least 3 maybe 4 different configurations of the large tool tray . Everyone of which that I have seen does have a place for the emergency window tool. Some do and some don'd have a place for the emergency "Z" shaped sunroof tool. Some have the extra large Allen type wrench in a slot on the bottom of the tray, some have them fitted inside the large spark plug wrench and the cutout in the tray provides the extra room for it. Some trays do not provide for it at all. Some trays have a special proviso for the tow hook to fit over. Some trays, mostly very late ones do not fit the open end wrenches into slots but rather each end of the wrench fit over a sort of peg.Should a post '83 tool kit, "M" cars excepted have red handled screwdrivers rather than green handled ones other than the owner switching them out? There is no way to document this as well. So this discussion can go on and on as one almost has to be an original owner to know whether or not the tray in their car has ever been switched out. Oh, and then there is the issue of the wrenches having BMW forged into the shanks. When did that end. And so the definitive is never definite. Did the tools come with an antenna wipe packet ? Did it just say Hirschman or did it have a BMW logo and say Hirschman as mine does? . Is my German Motometer tire gauge in a BMW pouch an appropriate addition to my tool kit?? Where does it end?? I think I know as much or more about tools as anyone, and am still on a learning curve.
Last edited by bpoliakoff on Mon Nov 12, 2018 5:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ron
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by ron »

Jono B good wrote: Thu Jul 26, 2018 12:04 am O.K. so where is a pic with never seen tow hook in its' rightfull place? :-k
This is a post '87 kit with the peg for the tow hook.
P1020884.JPG
P1020884.JPG (4.63 MiB) Viewed 11849 times
This is a pre'87 kit with the tow hook rattling in space!
P1020885.JPG
P1020885.JPG (4.62 MiB) Viewed 11849 times
I have a few complete kits for sale (with blue dusters and antenna wipes).Regular or extending plug spanner (wrench).
'85 M #228
'87 M #367
'88 High line.
'10 X5
‘84 Alfasud 1.5 ti
Candycj1

Post by Candycj1 »

Aha - and in the post 87 kit the medium ring spanner is 'too short' like it is in mine :D

Don't suppose you have a spare long green screwdriver and window tool you'd sell Ron?
sharkfan
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by sharkfan »

There are correct length 12/13mm ring spanners available for that slot - I'll pop up a picture later.
Brucey
6 Series Guru
6 Series Guru

Post by Brucey »

sharkfan wrote: Sat Nov 17, 2018 7:43 am There are correct length 12/13mm ring spanners available for that slot - I'll pop up a picture later.
it is the open-ended 12/13 spanner that is too short, surely? There are only three double-ended ring spanners and they are all present and correct...?

cheers
~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~