Mystery spot in the toolkit box

Post in this forum for topics relating to the interior.

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

sharkfan
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: Mystery spot in the toolkit box

Post by sharkfan »

Brucey, you are of course, right again. It's the 12/13 open spanner, but again, you can get the correct length ones.
2001 Alpina B10 V8 Touring (1 of 12 rhd)
1997 Alpina B12 5.7 L (1 of 2 rhd)
1995 Alpina B10 4.6 Touring (1 of 1 rhd)
1985 BMW M635CSi (1 of 524 rhd)
1982 BMW 635CSiA (1 of 100's left from the 1000's made and still valiantly fighting against a rusty grave)
baders
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by baders »

Hi Bert. Do you have the extending plug spanner available singly ? Need one for my S38B36. If so PM me a price please.
1986 635csi LOCUTUS / Arktis Blau Metallic / Pearl Beige / S38B36/ Close ratio dogleg 5sp
2002 E46 M3 / Topaz Blau Metallic / Black Nappa / 6 speed SMG software tuned / Bilstein PSS10 Coilovers / CMP RACP reinforcement
sharkfan
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by sharkfan »

sharkfan wrote: Sat Nov 17, 2018 3:12 pm Brucey, you are of course, right again. It's the 12/13 open spanner, but again, you can get the correct length ones.
I am of course completely wrong again - it isn't a 12/13mm open, it's a 10/11mm open ](*,)

Pictured are the 10/11mm open just above the contentious slot; then in the foreground there is a 8/10mm open commonly found in the contentious slot but too short for the slot (it's the same length as the 12/13mm ring that's in the slot to the left of it), then there is shorter 8/10mm open that is purportedly necessary for the M635CSi cars.
201120182030.jpg
201120182030.jpg (1.43 MiB) Viewed 11231 times
2001 Alpina B10 V8 Touring (1 of 12 rhd)
1997 Alpina B12 5.7 L (1 of 2 rhd)
1995 Alpina B10 4.6 Touring (1 of 1 rhd)
1985 BMW M635CSi (1 of 524 rhd)
1982 BMW 635CSiA (1 of 100's left from the 1000's made and still valiantly fighting against a rusty grave)
bpoliakoff
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bpoliakoff »

baders wrote: Sun Nov 18, 2018 12:25 am Hi Bert. Do you have the extending plug spanner available singly ? Need one for my S38B36. If so PM me a price please.
I do and I did. But as you found out these guys are non obtainium new, which mine is, and command an astronomical price.
81 Euro 635 M90 with motronic. Currently under a complete nut and bolt restoration. Pictures at
flickr.com/photos/bertsphotos.
Candycj1

Post by Candycj1 »

Brucey wrote: Sat Nov 17, 2018 9:38 am
sharkfan wrote: Sat Nov 17, 2018 7:43 am There are correct length 12/13mm ring spanners available for that slot - I'll pop up a picture later.
it is the open-ended 12/13 spanner that is too short, surely? There are only three double-ended ring spanners and they are all present and correct...?

cheers
You might be looking at the wrong pic Brucey - there are so many on this thread now! Mine is the 3rd one up from bottom with the green screwdriver - ring spanner is the short one; interesting that others also have the shorter one like mine. Sharkfan did you have a pic of the right size one and more importantly does anyone know where I can get it and the right long screwdriver?
Brucey
6 Series Guru
6 Series Guru

Post by Brucey »

no, I meant what I said, (although I got the size of the missing spanner wrong and dragged Kevin that way too). Your kit has spanners (in order from short to long) positioned R,O,R,O,R,O. (where R = Ring and O = open ended)) I think the correct sequence is R,R,O,O,R,O (as is shown in other tool kit photos).

Thus your toolkit has two spanner problems; the middle-sized R spanner is the wrong slot (which is why it is 'too short' for that slot) and you have the wrong small O spanner too.

I am pretty sure my toolkit was in a similar state at one time viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2125

cheers
~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Jono B good

Post by Jono B good »

I'm glad to see this topic being revisited, as I get closer to trying to complete mine. Thanks all. Is the center spot strictly for the folding hang down tab/anchor for the the kit itself or is there a fold-able safety triangle for that position as well?

edit; my pipe wrench/pliers say "West Germany" is this correct? they fit perfectly in there just curious why it doesn't say "B.M.W." ?
~Cirrusblau-Metallic~
bpoliakoff
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bpoliakoff »

Ron, I don't mean to be argumentative, but I have built a fairly good business selling tool kits and I have more than rarely seen a tool kit without a place for the emergency window adapter whether needed or not. Pictured here is a brand new one I recently found

None of the pliers say BMW Germany on them. Just Heyco
Attachments
Window tool.jpg
Window tool.jpg (47.89 KiB) Viewed 11122 times
81 Euro 635 M90 with motronic. Currently under a complete nut and bolt restoration. Pictures at
GRNSHRK
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by GRNSHRK »

my pipe wrench/pliers say "West Germany" is this correct? they fit perfectly in there just curious why it doesn't say "B.M.W." ?
Jono, the tools indicate that they were made in W. Germany because at the time, there still was both East and West German countries :-k

As far as the tools not saying BMW on them, well, perhaps other car companies also used these tools, think Heyco was the manufacturer :-?
:mrgreen:
Bobbo
1980 633 CSi Cypress Green/Pearl Beige
2017 X5 M Sport Xdrive 35i Carbon Black/Ivory White
2005 330 Ci ZHP Cabrio Imola Red/Bone/Black
Jono B good

Post by Jono B good »

Thanks, yes "Heyco" is on my all my tools, so there must have been a West German BMW plant, as well as a East German plant for BMW then I am assuming? Or was it just some production on either side a sort of division or a culmination of the two sides to produce our BMW's? I am just curious as of the historical stand point, sorry for ANY derailment of the tools thread.
~Cirrusblau-Metallic~
bpoliakoff
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bpoliakoff »

All original tools had West Germany. The new tools presently available from BMW don't. All had Heyco. Very early also had BMW forged into the shanks of the wrenches. I have done major amounts of research on tools since I sarted selling tool kits when I can assemble them, starting years ago, and am pretty correct on most of the info i have gathered.
GRNSHRK
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by GRNSHRK »

Jono, BMW never had a factory in East Germany, that side wasn't known for making anything of much value [-X
so there must have been a West German BMW plant, as well as a East German plant for BMW then I am assuming?
BMW headquarters is located in Munich, which was in West Germany, at the time :-k

Think you need to check your history, as Germany split in 2 after WWII, only to be rejoined after the Berlin wall came down, I think in the 80's :-"

And yes, we have definitely highjacked this thread #-o
:mrgreen:
Bobbo
1980 633 CSi Cypress Green/Pearl Beige
2017 X5 M Sport Xdrive 35i Carbon Black/Ivory White
2005 330 Ci ZHP Cabrio Imola Red/Bone/Black
Brucey
6 Series Guru
6 Series Guru

Post by Brucey »

BMW has also had a factory in Berlin, in (of course) the part of Berlin that was part of west Germany, too. This was established in 1939 to make aero engines but from 1949 has been used to make some of BMW's motorcycles. Twenty years ago they transferred all motorcycle production to this plant.

All E24 bodies were made by Karmann (Osnabruck) and initially car assembly was there also but (after a year or so) assembly was moved the BMW Dingolfing plant, in Bavaria.

cheers
~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Jono B good

Post by Jono B good »

Thank you gentlemen. I had assumed they had more than one plant during and after the war, makes perfect military sense. I have to disagree with the West German stuff not being that good as I have a scale for weighing your self. It's from the 70's retro art deco...cool. Still accurate as hell. =D>

Now back to our regular scheduled programing thank you for patience \:D/
~Cirrusblau-Metallic~
sauber

Post by sauber »

Can someone please measure the size of the cloth?
Tncc
Utern

Post by Utern »

Hi All. I was just searching Etsy for E24 custom parts and found a solution for many that are missing the window crank tool. The white plastic piece that is missing in many toolsets. If your looking for one check out the following link. I have no affiliation and have not seen or held one but the pictures look identical to the one I do have in my toolkit

https://www.etsy.com/ca/listing/8034583 ... ck=1&bes=1

Ok Cheers Utern
1982 633csi
Jlc

Post by Jlc »

GRNSHRK wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 4:31 pm Jono, BMW never had a factory in East Germany, that side wasn't known for making anything of much value
Actually, BMW had a factory in Eisenach, which the DDR renamed the Eisenacher Motor Werk (EMW) and built some 327's and 340 models.

https://www.hemmings.com/stories/2015/0 ... 7-got-that

The 340 lacked the signature kidney grilles. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BMW_340

The logo included the BMW quadrants but in red and white.

Now back to the original thread...
85 635CSi Bronzit
bpoliakoff
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bpoliakoff »

There are at least 4 different configurations of the large tool tray One doesn't have a provision for the sun roof tool showing that it was for a slick top. The others change as the model years got newer. A tool tray from a 735 looks the same but is also configured differently.