cigarette lighter socket

Post in this forum for topics relating to the interior.

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

Candycj1

cigarette lighter socket

Post by Candycj1 »

Hi all

The socket on my 89 e24 is corroded and non-functioning. I've taken it out and need a replacement (may as well replace the actual lighter too) - anyone have one / recommend a source? I can't find it on realoem, probably looking in the wrong place. The ones i've seen online that say they're for E24 seem different to mine - whereas they have two blade connectors at the base, mine has a central pin connector plus a threaded outer ring that both holds the socket in place and acts as the second connection. I assume this is original but may have been replaced before!

Thanks
James
Tommys 89 635

Re: cigarette lighter socket

Post by Tommys 89 635 »

Tommy
1989 635 CSI (Second owner since Jun 1995, driven daily and retired in 2013 with 295k to occasional driving)
2011 335D (Daily driver) with 103,550
Candycj1

Post by Candycj1 »

Thanks Tommy - that looks like the same one I've seen elsewhere. Odd though that the one I took out of mine is different - per post it has a single pole terminal at the base, with the second wire attached to a threaded ring that also acts to hold the socket in place. I'm beginning to think maybe it was replaced previously with a non-OEM part.

Only question I have then is how the OEM one is secured into the console? It doesn't appear to be threaded, is it a compression fit or will I need some other bits to fix it in?
Candycj1

Post by Candycj1 »

Hi again all - have the replacement OEM socket and it is indeed very different; clearly what was in mine was a previous owner bodge. Happily the lighting ring was still present; the socket fits neatly into this, seeming to lock in with a quarter turn to secure it. The ring in turn fits into the notches in the console, *BUT* there doesn't seem to be any way to secure it? The rim on the new socket drops straight through the console whereas the after market bodge didn't - so now i have the right bit but can;t see how it is supposed to secure in the console.

Anyone help?

Thanks
Candycj1

Post by Candycj1 »

Anyone have insight into how this fits in? With the OBC replaced and the new socket sorted i want to put the console back but can;t do that until i figure out how the socket is supposed to be held in. Have seen others on here also refer to the socket dropping through the console but not seen any answers on how its supposed to be secured...?

Last bumped by Candycj1 on Mon Sep 17, 2018 8:57 am.