Buffalo Dye

Post in this forum for topics relating to the interior.

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

wattsmonkey
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Buffalo Dye

Post by wattsmonkey »

I finally got round to trying to re-dye the original buffalo leather from the M, which should be anthracite, but had been recoloured burgundy some years back.

There hasn't been any urgency in fixing this as I have the Recaro interior in the M, but there is something appealing about the buffalo.

The burgundy finish is very inconsistent, with what appears to be a painted layer on top which has dyed the leather underneath.

Furniture Clinic supplied me with the anthracite dye and accompanying fixative, and were extremely helpful and open in expressing doubts over how effective the attempt to dye the seats would be (they recommended reverting to a painted finish).

The painted burgundy top coat of paint was removed fairly easily with the solvent (I tried it on a hidden patch first, of course), leaving a varied finish going from deep anthracite to a brownish hue on high-wear areas. The leather soaks up the dye like it's going out of fashion, but after many coats a more consistent finish appears, although I am not sure how durable it will be.

Anyway, work in progress. Any expertise and advice gratefully received.
Before bottom squab.jpg
Before bottom squab.jpg (259.93 KiB) Viewed 1976 times
after bottom squab.jpg
after bottom squab.jpg (245.44 KiB) Viewed 1976 times
"Most of it necessary; all of it enjoyable." LJKS
'84 635CSi, dogleg...itbs and supercharger????? Eaton Mess