New speakers?

Post in this forum for topics relating to the interior.

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

tmoretta

New speakers?

Post by tmoretta »

My '88 U.S. model M6 has a newer Sony head unit in the dash, original (I think) front and rear speakers, and some kind of amp. in the trunk. The base response is terrible. Anyone suggest exact replacement speakers that would provide more base response without going to a powered subwoofer?
olympia57
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: New speakers?

Post by olympia57 »

There are several threads on speaker upgrades , just search speakers and they will pop up.

I , along with others on here , have fitted new modern 6 x 4 fronts and 6 x 9 rears fitted under the rear seats . The sound quality is superb on these and with the addition of tweeters fitted on the dash corners makes a very good non boosted sound system with no great holes having to be cut in the trim or space taken up with additional components .
I certainly am very happy with the changes and have recently changed out the HU for a modern , but suitably discreet , Kenwood unit that has enhanced the sound quality even more .
Good luck
Don
1981 635 series 1
Tommys 89 635

Post by Tommys 89 635 »

as what olympia57 said. There are so many ideas from folks.

It all depends on what kind of music you listen to and what you expect, nowadays you can even do digital equipment vs analog. Stereo equipment can get crazy expensive so if possible best listen to other E24 owners in your area to get a sense of what they have and done.

Since you've got a newer head unit, my recommendation would be to upgrade the speakers (kick panel 4x6, door tweeter and rear shelf 6x9-it can be 2 way or 3 way), add an amplifier and go from there. If you want some bass than add a subwoofer.

btw: here's a link to check out.

http://bigcoupe.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=26238

Good luck with your decision
Tommy
1989 635 CSI (Second owner since Jun 1995, driven daily and retired in 2013 with 295k to occasional driving)
2011 335D (Daily driver) with 103,550
tmoretta

Post by tmoretta »

Is it possible to install 6X9 speakers in the original enclosures of the rear shelf? I don't mind cutting the black plastic of the shelf enclosures, but I want the finished look to be stock appearing.
Tommys 89 635

Post by Tommys 89 635 »

you'll need to do some trimming, i believe you can use the oem cover or make one out of wood.

http://bigcoupe.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.ph ... 8&start=75

scroll down about 3/4 and you'll see my rear speakers
Tommy
1989 635 CSI (Second owner since Jun 1995, driven daily and retired in 2013 with 295k to occasional driving)
2011 335D (Daily driver) with 103,550