Front Window Stuck

Post in this forum for topics relating to the interior.

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

sideshowbob

Front Window Stuck

Post by sideshowbob »

Have searched the forum and I am sure this has been covered many times before ...but I can't find any reference !!

Car has just come back from garage having had a new power steering pump fitted. All 4 windows worked perfectly before spell in garage, but now the passenger front window on my '88 635CSi will not go down !

With the ignition on but engine not running when you press the button to put the window down I can here a noise in the door as if the motor is trying to work, my conclusion from this is that the switch is OK.

On closer examination it looks as though the window has lifted about 5 - 7mm higher than normal, I can tell as there is now a "tide" mark exposed on the glass.

Would I be right in thinking the window for some reason has lifted higher than it should and has exceeded a limiter switch or something.

I have tried to manually wind down the window by removing the door blanking cap and tightening and untightening the Allen key on the yellow hexagonal nut but this just loosely winds round with the hexagonal nut making a grinding noise on a gear or something...looks like previous owners have been there before me and butchered the mechanism.

Has anyone else had this problem and how can I overcome this, I will probably have to remove the door card and look at the adjustment but some advice and pointers would be really appreciated.

Thanks
ron
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: Front Window Stuck

Post by ron »

http://forum.6ercoupe.de/index.php?id=123670

The last pic shows the upper adjustment stop.
They are ALWAYS rustier than you thought!!!!!!
'85 M #228
'87 M #367
'88 High line.
'10 X5
‘84 Alfasud 1.5 ti
sideshowbob

Post by sideshowbob »

Hi Ron,
Thanks for the prompt reply. My window is stuck in the up position, in fact about 5 - 7 mm above the 'normal' closed position. If I undo the limit bolt as in the diagram, will that allow the window to drop. If so, hopefully it will then allow the motor to restart its operation, and then with adjustment to the same bolt I should be able to fine tune the limits of opening, and closing.

Would you agree that this is a reasonable approach
sideshowbob

Post by sideshowbob »

Hi all, managed to strip door cards off last weekend, made a few adjustments with the device that limits the upward travel of the window and surprise, surprise the window now works perfectly.

Looks like it had exceeded its limit of travel.

Readjusted window travel and regreased the internal window guides and applied a light coating of silicone to window rubbers.

Window glides up and down beautifully now.

Thanks