Foot rest, 635csi automatic

Post in this forum for topics relating to the interior.

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

rs6

Foot rest, 635csi automatic

Post by rs6 »

Hello guys

I need help, I was searching and already asking on Facebook groups but without any luck.
When I threw out the carpet I also threw out the foot rest section. In the bin!
I remember there was only Styrofoam under the carpet and that was all. I don't remember any extra pedal.
Do we have part number for that styrofoam or this was DIY from some previous owner? What do I need to buy?
I'm missing this and it drives me crazy as soon everything will have to go in..

Thanks for any help in advance!
bpoliakoff
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: Foot rest, 635csi automatic

Post by bpoliakoff »

First of all there is not any styrofoam in the 635 carpeting system unless you are calling the original dense cell foam padding styrofoam. Secondly, going from the original carpet I removed from my 81 Euro there wasn't a pad on top of the foot rest on the left hand side/
81 Euro 635 M90 with motronic. Currently under a complete nut and bolt restoration. Pictures at
flickr.com/photos/bertsphotos.
rs6

Post by rs6 »

Yeah in my case there was styrofoam brick under the carpet.
So do you have any idea if I can buy somewhere new the original dense cell foam padding styrofoam?
bpoliakoff
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bpoliakoff »

Here in the States it is readily available at a rubber supply house. So I just bought some by the foot and cut to size. The original padding, of which I had some left, was approximately 3/8" plain upholstery foam with another1/4" of dense cell foam laminated over the top of it. You should have enough original padding somewhere in the interior to see this. My padding was rotted out in many places but i was able to piece it together like a puzzle using this method and ended up with a factory like padding for my carpet. Once you take a good look at what you have, I am sure there is some original, and knowing this, you will figure out what to use to get it right. So long story short if you have a rubber supply distributor near you, if nothing else, buy some dense cell foam and make your padding from that.You can always use upholstery foam but you will have to cover that with carpet padding or you will destroy the foam. So maybe I have given you some ideas. Main thing being about a 1/2" of padding or even a touch more. Too much is not good.
81 Euro 635 M90 with motronic. Currently under a complete nut and bolt restoration. Pictures at
flickr.com/photos/bertsphotos.