Rusty accelerator pedal mount

Post in this forum for topics relating to the interior.

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

guyatou

Rusty accelerator pedal mount

Post by guyatou »

I was cleaning the carpet in my shark today and knocked the accelerator pedal loose from its lower hinge. I pulled the carpet back and noticed the mount for the hinge is completely rusted.

There wasn't a post about this that I could find -- has anybody else encountered this issue? If so, what's the easiest way to reattach the pedal to the floor? Glad it broke when I was working on the car, not when I was driving!

The floor area seemed pretty damp, so I assume I have a leaky windshield gasket or something else that's letting water in. Gotta investigate that too.

Any thoughts on fixing this?

-Michael

Image633CSi rusty accelerator pedal mount by Michael Downes, on Flickr

Image633CSi rusty accelerator pedal mount by Michael Downes, on Flickr
guyatou

Re: Rusty accelerator pedal mount

Post by guyatou »

UPDATE: It looks like this is the right part to fix my issue. BMW apparently didn't offer it as a stand-alone part, so that's why I couldn't find any references to it in the parts diagram. I'll grind the old one down and weld in this new one when it gets here.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-E30-Faceli ... 4361396940
olympia57
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by olympia57 »

If you want to repair properly and prevent reoccurance then ......
Remove drivers seat , lift carpet , remove sound deadening , remove all of that detritus in the photo and get back to bare metal. Once the metal has been exposed examine it carefully to establish it's remaining condition and strength . If rotten cut out and weld in new fresh metal, prep and paint and then reweld fulcrum bracket for throttle pedal.
When stripped down look for water ingress up under bulkhead /scuttle or glaring rust holes on floor forward of and to the side of the throttle pedal area .....
If sun roof fitted check initially drains are not blocked ,remove trim cover on lower A piller , locate sunroof drain pipe and extend and exit it through the manufactured hole under car .

Looking at your photos , I'd predict that just forward of the area exposed a " welcome to E24 ownership " surprise awaits you ...
I wish you good luck .
Don
IMGP0919 - Copy.JPG
IMGP0919 - Copy.JPG (353.34 KiB) Viewed 4637 times
1981 635 series 1
rhanley 635csi89
Bigcoupe Contributor
Bigcoupe Contributor

Post by rhanley 635csi89 »

Michael, one possibility for water entry is through the main wire harness, located near the fire wall. Our cars should have a rain/water defector mounted on the underside of the hood. People have been creative and cover the area with an aluminum foil baking pan.
The sealant often dries out and allows water through. Re-seal it and it should fix your problem. A water deflector would help as well!
Rain_Water Deflector Location.jpeg
Rain_Water Deflector Location.jpeg (336.22 KiB) Viewed 4626 times
See photos of the BMW factory solution. Roger
89 635CSiA (11/88 build)
AlpineWeiss II (218)/Natur(0200)
87 L6 635CSI Sold
87 MB 560SL Sold
guyatou

Post by guyatou »

Thanks Don and rhanley. I definitely don't have the deflector, but I'll see if I can track one down. The leak will take some time to track down. This e24 is much less rusty than the previous 77 630CSi that I had. The floorboards were totally shot on that one. So far I haven't discovered too many surprises on this one. Fingers crossed!