Adding Footwell lights

Post in this forum for topics relating to the interior.

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

wogden700

Adding Footwell lights

Post by wogden700 »

As we all know the interior lighting is lackluster in the 6. I was thinking of adding some courtesy/accent lights in the front footwells. I want to use these little LEDs, one on each side. https://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinf ... 1494/3433/
Ive already found some decent mounting locations, now just need to figure how to wire them. Looking through the ETM (thanks bob) I think my best option is to wire the LEDs direct to HOT and then switch the ground by tapping into the Brown/Red wire that comes from the dome light just before the Interior light timer control.
This should make the lights work exactly as the dome light does complete with delay off. The downside is when I switch the dome light on manually the footwell lights wont come on. In fact the only way to turn on the footwell lights would be to open the door.
Am I missing anything here? Any suggestions for other ideas?
Thanks!
1985 635CSi Diamondblack/Llama
1991 750iL (sold)
86_6series
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: Adding Footwell lights

Post by 86_6series »

Hi Warner,

You're correct. If you tie into the door switches they'll go on only with the door.

The only way that I know of is to tie them into the dome light.

The wiring along the headliner and down the A pillars will be a pain but doable.

I did it for an added dome light in between the sun visors.
OIP.pdf
(23.47 KiB) Downloaded 320 times
86-635CSi
96-MB C220 SOLD
98-740i
71-Continental MK3
KINGJOHN808

Post by KINGJOHN808 »

Aloha!

Just did this over the weekend. Tied into the dome light switch over the driver side. Placed “license plate” lights that are hooded in the back right below the rear seat.

Will be using something similar for the footwell in front. Not sure if I will be going under dash, under seat or on the console below the window switch on the center console.

From just the lights hooked up last night, was really bright. Definitely what I need in that car. Never noticed how dark “black, on black on black” actually is. And that’s without tinted windows.

Once I get the fronts installed, will post pics.

Aloha!
Ewa Kai, Hawai’i
1984 633CSi
1983 633CSi (wreckers)

“Aloha and have a great day!”
sharkfan
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by sharkfan »

With the super skinny led striplights that are easily available these days it should be easy to tuck them up and under the edge of the centre console and have them shining down that way shouldn't it?
2001 Alpina B10 V8 Touring (1 of 12 rhd)
1997 Alpina B12 5.7 L (1 of 2 rhd)
1995 Alpina B10 4.6 Touring (1 of 1 rhd)
1985 BMW M635CSi (1 of 524 rhd)
1982 BMW 635CSiA (1 of 100's left from the 1000's made and still valiantly fighting against a rusty grave)