Current speakers for factory locations

Post in this forum for topics relating to the interior.

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

Klaus

Current speakers for factory locations

Post by Klaus »

After doing some searches it turns out that most of the speaker suggestions are NLA, being not current.

I am looking to finally upgrade the sound system in my 1981 E12 bases chassis. The parcel shelf has been upgraded to one out of an 1987 L6 with the sunshade and the premium pods. The front locations are still stock. I also have a set of the upper door trims from the L6 that have location for tweeters.

The JBL Club series looks promising, but the magnets appear quite large.

Can somebody please advise what fits without massive modifications and is currently available to order?

I am currently using a Nakamichi headunit, but I am considering changing to a new release Blaupunkt Bremen. I will probably run a small amplifier for the speakers and will consider making a custom enclosure for a small powered subwoofer.

Thanks in advance!
bpoliakoff
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: Current speakers for factory locations

Post by bpoliakoff »

Klaus I used Pioneers in the foot wells combination with tweeters The magnets were semi large but not too deep. So i hogged out the hole with a die grinder. Next issue was they stuck out a 1/4 issue too far so I went to my local plastic shop and for $15 dollars they made a spacer for me so I could use my original grilles.In the rear I didn't use the pods but put my speaker in the kick panel under the seats. I did pull wiring up to the pods in case I ever want to use them
81 Euro 635 M90 with motronic. Currently under a complete nut and bolt restoration. Pictures at
flickr.com/photos/bertsphotos.
mark22

Post by mark22 »

I used Hybrid Audio Legatia L4SE. Not cheap, but a quality speaker with shallow mounting depth in the floor area. Up top, Dynaudio esotec tweeters. It has a stock appearance and required no cutting whatsoever.
1987 M6 pre 6/87
635sharknose

Post by 635sharknose »

I would buy German Maestro speakers which are Made in Germany, matches your German car.
They have some great kits available.
Paul
Instagram: @635sharknose
1987 635CSi Bronzitbeige
Tommys 89 635

Post by Tommys 89 635 »

Hey Klaus,

There are a lot of posts regarding stereos. See the link below, I think that may be the most recent one. You could have listen to mine at PSF to get a sense of what you’d like to do.

Since you've got a nice head unit, my recommendation would be to upgrade the speakers (kick panel 4x6, door (dome) tweeter and rear shelf 6x9-it can be 2 way or 3 way), add an amplifier and go from there. If you want some bass than add a subwoofer.

btw: here's a link to check out.

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=26238&start=75

I think about 3/4 down the page, you can see my speakers. Sadly Boston Acoustics are discontinued. Personally I like Alpine and Pioneer speakers. Haven’t kept up with audio so not sure what brands are around.

Chat soon
Tommy
1989 635 CSI (Second owner since Jun 1995, driven daily and retired in 2013 with 295k to occasional driving)
2011 335D (Daily driver) with 103,550
rrrs

Post by rrrs »

Sorry to bring this back up, but did someone recently find any 4x6 speakers that mount in rear pods and magnets do not interfere when closing?
I just tried mounting pioneer's 4x6 and was able to get them to work in the front with some spacers under stock grills, but in the old style rear pods the speaker depth is much too large preventing the pods from closing.
Wondering if there are any proven 4x6 currently on the market that fit in there; at the moment had to swap left and right pods so they close with speakers sitting towards the middle of the car.
I would be OK also mounting a round 4" or 5"1/4 in that location if someone knows of one that fits.

As well, was wondering what is the real purpose of rear wens that are on the back shelf next to the glass?
On my car seems there is a plastic box in the trunk that is just closed off, so no air hoses going in there; am I missing something?
Was thinking of removing this plastic box (seems just clipped in place) and letting the went open to the trunk in order to get some more sound passing trough from the trunk mount subwoofer.
Did anyone get to the better solution of using the trunk subwoofer working with no (or minimal) cutting?