Changing steering wheel, Airbag to M Tech I

Post in this forum for topics relating to the interior.

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

brooklyn_bmw2

Changing steering wheel, Airbag to M Tech I

Post by brooklyn_bmw2 »

Hi guys, first time poster after acquiring a 1989 BMW 635CSi (US). Thanks for all the great info here. I have an airbag wheel and I want to install an 370mm M Tech (fine spline), but I cannot find a definitive guide for doing this.

From what I've read, once the airbag wheel is off, I'll need to install spacing washer(s?) before the new wheel goes on. Has anyone come across instructions for this or could provide guidance?

Can this be done? I'm guessing a 30 year old airbag is next to useless, and I can't stand the look of the airbag wheel. Thank you!
tmoretta

Re: Changing steering wheel, Airbag to M Tech I

Post by tmoretta »

I also would like a smaller more modern wheel on my M6. Is it very likely that my airbag is no longer functional? I hate to loose the safety factor if I can still depend on it.
hornhospital
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by hornhospital »

If the car has been kept dry the airbag will almost certainly still work, but it's old technology. Not as safe or effective as new airbags, but still better than no airbag. I trust the belts a lot more than the airbags. I totaled a 96 S10 pickup, broadsided a girl in a Lexus that ran a stop sign. Turned the Lexus into a big banana, crumped the S10, and the airbags in neither vehicle went off. We were both wearing seatbelts and both walked away, bruised but alive. They still don't know why the airbags didn't fire. It was a 45mph collision.
Ken Kanne
'84 633CSi "Sylvia"; '85 635CSi "Katja";'85 325e "Hazel Ann"; '95 M3 "Ashlyn"
PTFunk

Post by PTFunk »

brooklyn_bmw2 wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 5:40 pm From what I've read, once the airbag wheel is off, I'll need to install spacing washer(s?) before the new wheel goes on. Has anyone come across instructions for this or could provide guidance?

Can this be done? I'm guessing a 30 year old airbag is next to useless, and I can't stand the look of the airbag wheel. Thank you!
I did this a number of years ago with my '88 M6 since I hated the look of the airbag wheel and was also concerned about it accidentally deploying. You'll need a few washers which can be easily obtained at the hardware store. Just put on as many as enable the M-Tech wheel to turn freely, while also allowing the horn to still work. Regardless, you'll have to get used to your fingers occasionally bumping into the washer and turn signals, since the M-Tech wheel doesn't provide as much clearance. Someday I may have the stalks shortened (or have new ones fabricated, but that's way down the priority list.

Make sure you learn the difference between fine- and coarse-spline wheels, since only one will work on your car (probably fine). If you don't see anyone here or on other forums advertising one for sale, try posting in the "parts wanted" section. I bought a nicely re-wrapped one from a forum member in Croatia, but I just checked and he's no longer registered. He or another Croatian are selling a nice-looking one on eBay at the moment.
"Sabine": '88 M6 Royalblau/Silber
SLS delete, Wizard Cooling radiator, BavAuto Strut bar, M-Technik steering wheel, Conforti chip, Bilstein B8s / H&R Lowering Springs, BBE stainless cat-back exhaust
brooklyn_bmw2

Post by brooklyn_bmw2 »

Thank you all, this was a big help. I've seen a few fine splines on eBay, but will be triple checking that before purchasing.
cc_in_cc

Post by cc_in_cc »

I switched to a MTech about a year ago and had a similar experience to @PTFunk. I stopped hitting the wiper stalk pretty quickly - for me the biggest adjustment is that the smaller wheel blocks the speedometer at most common speeds. It's a good thing that speed limits are mostly ignored where I live so I don't need to see how fast I'm going!
Chris
1989 BMW 635CSi
2009 VW Touareg
1974 Pinzgauer 710K