Central Locking Module

Post in this forum for topics relating to the interior.

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

Ash635

Central Locking Module

Post by Ash635 »

Hi,

Can someone advise me of the location of my central locking module on my 635csi 1989. The central locking has stopped operating recently. I have replaced the fuse no 27. Any help would be appreciated.

Regards

Ash
1989 635csi Highline
86_6series
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: Central Locking Module

Post by 86_6series »

Central locking starts on page 5126-0, page 56 of pdf.
Location is page 7000-6, figure #4, page 142 of pdf.

http://wedophones.com/Manuals/BMW/1989% ... Manual.pdf
86-635CSi
96-MB C220 SOLD
98-740i
71-Continental MK3
Candycj1

Post by Candycj1 »

The module itself is accessed through the glovebox - open the box and pull out the plastic pins securing the straps either side and lower it down, then unclip the vinyl panel from the back of it. On the right you should see a black plastic cover retained by 2 small screws - these secure the cover to the c/l module behind through an L-shaped metal bracket that in turn screws into the bulkhead above - remove the screws and cover to get to the module (no need to remove the bracket).

I actually just this morning swapped mine over (11/87 production date) as my locking hasn't worked since i bought the car 2 years ago - now working perfectly thanks to a £30 2nd hand replacement via ebay (at that price i didn't even bother troubleshooting the old one...). Note - apparently you shouldn't disconnect / connect the module with the battery connected.

Here's my original and replacement - original is the newer looking one on the right (note someone damaged the case of the old one removing the connector - watch out for the plastic retaining lug; mine came out fine by pushing this down when unplugging). The old one has the same part # (61311380302) but is additionally stamped '101' and '287' whereas the replacement says 201 and 288. Minor difference in the cases too but it seems to function perfectly, interested to hear if anyone knows of material differences (i think the same part was used on the e23 and e30 too so bound to be some minor revisions over time).

Also - anyone know if these are serviceable? Per the pic the old one has no visible signs of damage (i.e. no scorching or water ingress) but i've not opened it up to inspect. Its going into the bin unless anyone here wants it...

Nice to see a fellow Londoner on here btw Ash :D

Cheers
James
Ash635

Post by Ash635 »

Thankyou both for your replies.

James, the step by step guide as to how to find and remove the module was very much appreciated. It was a bit tough to remove but I managed to remove it after a brief struggle.

Kind Regards

Ash
1989 635csi Highline
Sbeaud

Post by Sbeaud »

Jumping on this thread for some feedback.

Having trouble with the central locking on my 1988 US M6. Putting feelers out for a new module, but wanted to check if I’m reading the wiring diagram correctly. The locking was working fine - all positions could control the central lock/unlock function. Then suddenly no lock could control the central lock/unlock. But a couple times since it has worked, at least from the driver’s door. As part of testing the system: is it correct that if I put a jumper between terminals 2 and 3 the whole system should unlock?

Thanks

Scott
Attachments
BMW wiring - Central Locking.jpg
BMW wiring - Central Locking.jpg (151.88 KiB) Viewed 3426 times
1988 M6
Caribe Turf

Post by Caribe Turf »

see attachments
Attachments
central lock.pdf