A/C compressor smoke

Post in this forum for topics relating to the interior.

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

scarab

A/C compressor smoke

Post by scarab »

It’s really hot today, close to 100F but I had to take the emissions. My E24 passed the test without any issues but on my way back home I’ve noticed smoke from under the hood. I pulled over immediately and noticed a lot of smoke from A/C compressor. After switching A/C off the smoke was gone so I came back home. I’ve purchased my E24 a bit over a month ago. A/C wasn’t working properly, I mean compressor was engaging but wasn’t blowing cold. I don’t think the system was converted to R134 as there’s no sticker under the hood so I’ve bought R12 recharge kit and refilled the system. After the refill AC was working just fine, until today. Once I came back home I’ve connected the the gauge and the pressure is 100psi, with engine off, as I haven’t even tried to turn the ac on since the smoke occurred. So it looks like somehow the compressor was unable to disengage and there’s a lot of pressure built up, right? Do you have any idea what could have happened and how to fix it?
Luke
'88 635CSi L6
hornhospital
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: A/C compressor smoke

Post by hornhospital »

The smoke could be one of three things:

The clutch coil is failing/burning up, or

The compressor is seized and the belt is slipping, or

The refrigerant is escaping when the compressor is engaged.

In other words, it may not be "smoke" at all.
Ken Kanne
'84 633CSi "Sylvia"; '85 635CSi "Katja";'85 325e "Hazel Ann"; '95 M3 "Ashlyn"
scarab

Post by scarab »

The smoke was definitely from compressor clutch. I guess I overfilled the system a bit while recharging. And today during emissions test in extremely hot conditions there was too much pressure built up in the system and the compressor clutch was unable to engage once I turned ac back on, and started slipping and burning. I let it cool a bit and sprayed water on ac radiator to lower the pressure. Then I started the engine and ac and the compressor was able to engage, but it was having problems again after a couple of minutes once the system got hot again. The main question is whether the clutch is toast or not, I hope it survived.
Luke
'88 635CSi L6
mdkohler
Bigcoupe Contributor
Bigcoupe Contributor

Post by mdkohler »

I have a compressor available (with belt) if you want to make an offer. PM me.
Marc
Austin, Tx
1985 635CSi Euro
scarab

Post by scarab »

Ok, thanks, I hope I’m not gonna need it but I’ll let you know in case I do.
I wonder if there is any chance to replace the clutch without pulling entire compressor out
Luke
'88 635CSi L6