sunroof liner

Post in this forum for topics relating to the interior.

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

mcmimber

sunroof liner

Post by mcmimber »

Recently, I have gone to the trouble of adjusting the rear sunroof height on my 633csi (build date 9/82); after releasing the sunroof liner and pushing it back into the rear of the roof I realized my passenger side (right side) gate bracket was cracked. Its condition no longer allowed an adjustment of rear sunroof height on right side of car.

A bit of searching and I was able to source a new gate from JAYMIC in the UK.

Installed and sunroof height adjusted I have begun the process of re-installing both headliner and sunroof...

From here the project has gone downhill.

Mistakenly or not I removed the entire headliner with its transverse rain gutter (black metal brace attached to two thin guide arms that attach to liner about 3/4 forward to front of car), in fact the headliner had begun to peel away from its framing; the glue long ago dried out and has been shedding orange soot type material every time the roof is open or closed.

My difficulty has been that each time I engage the headliner to the roof and run the roof through a few cycles, open, close, and tilt. The liner breaks free from the black transverse rain gutter. In one case binding so badly, I have a new 4 inch gouge in my roof.

For all I can tell the roof liner along with its attached rain gutter seems to float freely from side to side not aligning with the rails that guide the metal sunroof fore and aft.

Does and anyone have any insight on how I can keep the liner from separating from the black metal rain gutter on install and usage?

Many thanks advance
bpoliakoff
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: sunroof liner

Post by bpoliakoff »

If I understand you correctly, you want to re attach the material to the frame? Just go to Home Depot and get some 3M spray adhesive, spray on both surfaces and when tacky press together. The red dust is the foam on the back of the material deteriorating
81 Euro 635 M90 with motronic. Currently under a complete nut and bolt restoration. Pictures at
flickr.com/photos/bertsphotos.
mcmimber

Re: sunroof liner

Post by mcmimber »

Hello bpoliakoff

I am actually referring to the image attached, called the rain gutter according to realoem.com.

Hope this clarifies things a bit.

many thanks in advance
Attachments
Screen Shot 2020-09-01 at 10.47.22 AM.png
Screen Shot 2020-09-01 at 10.47.22 AM.png (182.54 KiB) Viewed 1483 times