Cloth Interior

Post in this forum for topics relating to the interior.

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

Pasocb

Cloth Interior

Post by Pasocb »

I am looking for images of and information about series-1 cars with factory cloth interiors.
From what I understand, almost all cars shipped to the US received leather interiors.
Series-2 cars appear to have fabric inserts in the door panels and the seats completely covered in fabric. From what I have been able to determine, series-1 cars only received fabric inserts in the seats and the door panels had the same perforated vinyl as the cars with leather interiors.
Also what fabrics were offered by BMW on the early 635s?
In perusing the internet, I found the following images:
Attachments
Cloth E24 Back Seat.jpg
Cloth E24 Back Seat.jpg (116.03 KiB) Viewed 3351 times
Cloth E24 Recaros.jpg
Cloth E24 Recaros.jpg (122.25 KiB) Viewed 3351 times
1981 635 Hennarot
1980 635 Polaris (Project)
88m6

Re: Cloth Interior

Post by 88m6 »

FYI
My 7/84 came with anthracite velour like your pic as well as door cards. Although it had faded to a flannel green color by the time I got it. That pic looks like probably original color of velour.

I'm pretty sure I'll be in shop on Wednesday if your out n about .,finally put radiator in B7 n fired it up. Anxious for a ride and doing rear brakes on 540 and need to pull SI Board out of 86 if I have the time.
olympia57
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by olympia57 »

1981 635 series 1
Pasocb

Post by Pasocb »

88m6 wrote: Fri Dec 25, 2020 10:55 pm FYI
My 7/84 came with anthracite velour like your pic as well as door cards. Although it had faded to a flannel green color by the time I got it. That pic looks like probably original color of velour.

I'm pretty sure I'll be in shop on Wednesday if your out n about .,finally put radiator in B7 n fired it up. Anxious for a ride and doing rear brakes on 540 and need to pull SI Board out of 86 if I have the time.
I have a couple appointments Wednesday morning and send you a text as things free up. It will be great to catch up.
1981 635 Hennarot
Pasocb

Post by Pasocb »

Thanks for this link.

There is some good information on the E24 site and I especially like how it organizes things by build date . However, I am still a little unsure about fabric interiors and series-one cars. According to the site, the combination leather/velour was only produced through very early 1977.

Some very preliminary empirical evidence seems to point towards combination interiors being produced throughout the run of series one cars. The images that I posted above supposedly came from a 1979 635 car. Obviously this interior could have been recovered and changed at some point during its life. Another example is from one of our forum members (mopar) who has a late series-one 635 (10/1980 build date) that he received with a combination leather/velour interior. Obviously, two examples do not confirm a theory. The goal of this thread is to gather additional information on this subject.

I realize what BMW produced when it built our cars was not necessarily set in stone each model year, but my quest here is to document what was offered from the factory at the time to allow us to better maintain and restore our vehicles.

cb
1981 635 Hennarot