problem removing centerconsole

Post in this forum for topics relating to the interior.

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

rodger

problem removing centerconsole

Post by rodger »

I just started my interior swap and I can't get out the center console part that includes the cigarette lighter up to the radio. I followed the instructions from http://www.e-24.ru/eng/practice/862.shtml and got the thing loose to the point that I feel it should easily come out but it keeps getting stuck because I have an automatic(it gets stuck where the shifter would be on a manual) How can I get this out? Thanks
horsetan

Post by horsetan »

Have you pulled the shifter lever all the way back to the "1" position, and removed the plastic panel with the marked positions? That might be getting in the way of you pulling back the console.
rodger

Post by rodger »

Yeah, I moved that. It's getting stuck between the bottom of the tray and the front of the whole lever apparatus, I really have no idea what its properly called. I really don't want to force it and risk breaking it, but I'll save that for the last resort.
Captain Bavaria

Post by Captain Bavaria »

picture? IIRC, there are multiple wires (say 3?) down there by the cigarette lighter- make sure they are all disconnected?
rodger

Post by rodger »

I feel stupid not knowing what IIRC is... and I got those disconnected, I'll try to take some pics right now, it might take awhile as uploading on my computer connection sucks :x
rodger

Post by rodger »

Captain Bavaria

Post by Captain Bavaria »

IIRC- if I recall correctly- and I'm pretty sure you have to take the head / radio out...
rodger

Post by rodger »

I thought I had gotten those, but I was mistaken. How do I get behind to remove the radio?
BlackShark6

Post by BlackShark6 »

the stereo looks aftermarket, should slide out from the front, if it wont budge, you need to insert two stereo removal keys on both sides to unlock the stereo or it may have release tabs, if you dont have these keys, use a long thin metal nail file, if that doesnt do it either, ide carefully go with a flathead and take out the supporting bracket that holds the stereo, carfull no scratches..hope that helps, Im used to seeing stereos removed from my cousin who does all our cars sound.

then i think the computer next to the stereo also should be unplugged too
I used that same website, worked great

But never got to removing dash and ac/heater controls let me know how that goes if your going that far, I could some direction for that
good luck on the interior, your doing blue to black?
89' 325i cabrio(r.i.p @ 250k+) blue/tan blacktop
85' 635 CSi (hit @ 72k) Blk/blk 5sp(garaged)
82' 733i (sold to hollywood @ 300k+ )blk/brwn
99' 528i ACSchnitzer ext.(sold 103k orig owner) silver/grey 5sp
97' 540i/6 (sold) blue/blk 6sp
rodger

Post by rodger »

Thanks everyone, I now have it out!!! No damage done either, I really appreciate all the help. And yes, doing blue to black. When this done, I'll post some pics of my project. Thanks!
jb02

Re: problem removing centerconsole

Post by jb02 »

I am trying the remove the center console on my 83 Euro 635. I have removed the head unit, all window switches and emergency brake shroud. I have removed the screw behind the shifter as well as 2 side screws (upper and rear) from both right and left sides. But I cannot slide the console back. It feels loose at the dash but is getting hung up either under the ash tray receiver or where the rear shifter console seats onto the carpet side panels.

Do the carpet side panels come out with the console?
If they stay in place is there a trick to separating them from the console behind the shifter?
635_console1_3693.JPG
635_console1_3693.JPG (314.17 KiB) Viewed 7128 times
635_console2.JPG
635_console2.JPG (580.06 KiB) Viewed 7128 times
jps635
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by jps635 »

The carpet panels come out with the console and you would only be able to separate them once removed. Sounds like you have removed the necessary screws so should come out. Will need to disconnect the wiring to the cig lighter and ash tray light as you remove.

Have a look-see and fee around under the ash tray to see what might be snagging the console.
'85 635csi JPS (RA2-66)
sansouci
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by sansouci »

I suggest you contact Songzun Huang who did a center console removal with pictures (search the site for them!)
He is aways helpful
Sansouci
84 E24 633Csi Auto, Bronzit/PearlBeige 6997510
93 E32 740il M60 Auto, Alpenweis/Ultramarine
60 528i M30 5-speed Green/Beige (crushed)
71 240Z 4-speed White/Blue (rusty & sold)
65 396 Chevelle 4-speed, Marina Blue/Black (stolen)
GRNSHRK
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by GRNSHRK »

If this link doesn't go to the right page, go to page 20 :-k

viewtopic.php?f=25&t=25858&start=475

I know, crazy, 22 page thread #-o

:mrgreen:
:mrgreen:
Bobbo
1980 633 CSi Cypress Green/Pearl Beige