Body stripes - keep or remove?

Post in this forum for topics relating to the exterior. This includes body, windows, and accessories

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

UKDaveJ

Body stripes - keep or remove?

Post by UKDaveJ »

I've seen a few cars now without them & am in two minds as to whether or not I'm for them or against them. :?
Dave :)
joe

stripes

Post by joe »

hi dave, i have none on my six and i think it looks clean, but thats me, i was quiet taken back when i seen the us 6r with out the rear boot spoiler now that does look nice and clean.

later joe
horsetan

Re: stripes

Post by horsetan »

joe wrote:...taken back when i seen the us 6r with out the rear boot spoiler now that does look nice and clean.
:idea: You clearly haven't seen this, then :wink:
dnd

Post by dnd »

as for me - i dont like it. but when you will remove it - you can corrupt the body vanish or paint.. it's hard to do.. may be use the hot steam to make the glue softer.. or something.
UKDaveJ

Post by UKDaveJ »

horsetan wrote:
joe wrote:...taken back when i seen the us 6r with out the rear boot spoiler now that does look nice and clean.
HT - have you sent 'Ben' an email yet? I noticed he has a 'contact' tab on his site?!

Somehow without the rear spoilers they can look good from certain angles, but from others they look like they are missing something - a spoiler! :wink: :lol:

Did you de-stripe yourself Joe?
Did you also remove the '635csi' badge?

At some point we'll have to meet up Joe, then I can have a good look at your car in the flesh - that will help me make a decision!

Dave 8)
horsetan

Post by horsetan »

UKDaveJ wrote:
horsetan wrote:
HT - have you sent 'Ben' an email yet? ...
Ages ago. It's thanks to me that he started refurbishing his car :wink:
UKDaveJ

Post by UKDaveJ »

horsetan wrote:
UKDaveJ wrote:
HT - have you sent 'Ben' an email yet? ...
Ages ago. It's thanks to me that he started refurbishing his car :wink:
Ah right! So whats his forum name then mate? :wink: :lol:
D :)
dnd

Post by dnd »

UKDaveJ wrote:Somehow without the rear spoilers they can look good from certain angles, but from others they look like they are missing something - a spoiler!
aha, right. the sixer without a spoiler reminds me e23.
e24 looks much better with the duck-tail, so in my humble opinion spoiler helps to complete the design profile... plus the spoiler is the technical thing. remember audi TTs, flying out after 100 km/h without a rear spoiler? :)

but other secondary stuff like badges, stripes, christmas trees on a rearview mirror, pink toys et cetera is not neccesary.
Brucey
6 Series Guru
6 Series Guru

Post by Brucey »

Pinstripes? Depends on the car colour and the lighting. The shoulder in the car body is an essential part of this design. If it is lost then the shape looks all wierd to me.

I'm keeping mine.....

-but if you get into being a pinstripe fetishish, there are lots of different types on 6 series (with funny loops at the ends and so forth), and sometimes no-one can decide what is 'right' for your car.....

And I prefer with the spoiler, preferably the two-piece one with the colour coded insert. Not complete without it....

cheers
~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
horsetan

Post by horsetan »

UKDaveJ wrote:...Ah right! So whats his forum name then mate? :wink: :lol: D :)
He's only joined one Forum - the "old fart" one, where he goes under the moniker "de campos". And you can't blame him for not being arsed to participate in it :lol:
carrie

Post by carrie »

joe wrote:hi dave, i have none on my six and i think it looks clean, but thats me, i was quiet taken back when i seen the us 6r with out the rear boot spoiler now that does look nice and clean.

later joe
mine dosnt have a rear spoiler, i was going to fit one but then decided not to. the car is fine at ahm :wink: speeds over 100 kmh without it
joe

dave

Post by joe »

i will catch up with you after the hols mate can have a look at your exhaust.

later joe
horsetan

Post by horsetan »

carrie wrote: the car is fine at ahm :wink: speeds over 100 kmh without it
It's going round corners at 100mph where there might be a difference....
UKDaveJ

Re: dave

Post by UKDaveJ »

joe wrote:i will catch up with you after the hols mate can have a look at your exhaust.

later joe
You're on Joe!
Dave :)
carrie

Post by carrie »

horsetan wrote:
if anything i find the front gets to the limit before the back
Brucey
6 Series Guru
6 Series Guru

Post by Brucey »

carrie wrote:
horsetan wrote:
wot no oversteer???? More right foot required.....??

cheers
jrcalvin

Post by jrcalvin »

I must be bored as I am posting everywhere today. The 'BMW 6 Series" by Jeremy Walton notes that BMW engineering staff thought that the addition of the boot spoiler added about 15% downforce to the rear of car for more "sure footed" and predictable handling. In my opinion, the rear of the sixer is the least attractive part of the car but the addition of any of the 3 types of BMW boot spoilers improves the looks/profile.

And yes, I am one of the few who prefer the large rubber boot spoiler first intoduced on the 1978 635 model. I think the sixer lines viewed from the rear or in profile/side are more gracefull with the early large rubber spoiler. I think the later 2-piece spoiler looks just "tacked" on. Wow! I know I am in the minority here! However, that same design 2-piece spoiler as installed on the e28 M5 boot looks perfect and greatly enhances the look of the e28 M5 "flying brick".

By the way I have owned all 3 types of BMW sixer boot spoilers so I have been able to choose whichever one I liked best.

And here is one for Carrie. I like the aggressive look of the 635 front spoiler better than the 628 valence. The look of a 635 sixer as seen in a rearview mirror looks so aggressive/menacing! So Carrie, I am obviously still coveting your 628 front bumper/valence, right? Let me know when you want to switch to a 635 front spoiler.

john

john
carrie

Post by carrie »

still like mine as it is. i guess its down to personal taste, anyway who really wants the 28, but i love mine even though it has diverted so much of my student loan from the golf (which now wants new springs, guess its jealous of the money spent so far on the 6).
btw i never said you were after my front end :?
Last edited by carrie on Mon Apr 04, 2005 6:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
carrie

Post by carrie »

Brucey wrote:
carrie wrote:
horsetan wrote: It's going round corners at 100mph where there might be a difference....
wot no oversteer???? More right foot required.....??

cheers
cant afford to touch that pedal :)
Brucey
6 Series Guru
6 Series Guru

Post by Brucey »

I agree with John re the front. My 628 project car will have the deeper spoiler fitted when it hits the tarmac again.....