early headlight wiper assembly onto ellipsoid mounts ?

Post in this forum for topics relating to the exterior. This includes body, windows, and accessories

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

SIX35

early headlight wiper assembly onto ellipsoid mounts ?

Post by SIX35 »

Does anyone know if an older headlight wiper assembly will fit onto the newer ellipsoid mounts?
Since the ellipsoid mounts are plastic etc. i doubt if this would be possible. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
UKDaveJ

Re: early headlight wiper assembly onto ellipsoid mounts ?

Post by UKDaveJ »

SIX35 wrote:Does anyone know if an older headlight wiper assembly will fit onto the newer ellipsoid mounts?
Since the ellipsoid mounts are plastic etc. i doubt if this would be possible. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
I don't know the answer I'm afraid. I do know that I bought a set of ellipsoids complete to swap onto my green 6. They are currently residing at Horsetans' residence.
I would guess yes, but would expect the electrical connection plugs/sockets to be of a different design.
Others will confirm or not my thoughts.
Dave :)
horsetan

Post by horsetan »

UKDaveJ wrote:
SIX35 wrote:Does anyone know if an older headlight wiper assembly will fit onto the newer ellipsoid mounts?
I don't know the answer I'm afraid. I do know that I bought a set of ellipsoids complete to swap onto my green 6. They are currently residing at Horsetans' residence.
I would guess yes, but would expect the electrical connection plugs/sockets to be of a different design.
The mechanism, according to my ETK diagrams, is the same!

The plugs and sockets to the wiper motors are also the same.

The plugs and sockets to the ellipsoids sets are different (2-pin) to the older "free form" sets (3-pin)
SIX35

Post by SIX35 »

horsetan wrote:The mechhanism, according to my ETK diagrams, is the same!
The plugs and sockets to the wiper motors are also the same.
The plugs and sockets to the ellipsoids sets are different (2-pin) to the older "free form" sets (3-pin)
So you think the wipermotors can simply be swapped from the metal onto the plasic ellipsoid frames/mounts? That would be great, and more important, cheaper :D
Can buy a set of ellipsoid without wipers so i was in doubt, gain ellipsoid
with better sight (for me and the car) and lose the wipers or stick with the old set leaving me almost blind at night 8)
Thanks !
Brucey
6 Series Guru
6 Series Guru

Post by Brucey »

what improvement (if any) will we expect with ellipoids over std headlights (which are rubbish)?

Will E30 ellipsoids fit??
~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SIX35

Post by SIX35 »

Brucey wrote:what improvement (if any) will we expect with ellipoids over std headlights (which are rubbish)?
As i was told any E30 ellipsoid frame should also fit onto an E24.
Hope someone can confirm this else this would surely narrow the chances of finding a set.
horsetan

Post by horsetan »

Brucey wrote:what improvement (if any) will we expect with ellipoids over std headlights (which are rubbish)?
Sharper, more focused low beam. Even better if you team them with Osram SilverStar "H1" bulbs (which I've not got around to doing yet!)
You must be joking. The design team at BMW made sure that the "Highline" ellipsoids were specific to the Six. All the mounting points are different. A new set, with mounting frames, will set you back ?200 or so per side....plus VAT :shock:

Therefore, E30/E32/E34 ellipsoids - forget it.
horsetan

Post by horsetan »

SIX35 wrote:...So you think the wipermotors can simply be swapped from the metal onto the plasic ellipsoid frames/mounts? That would be great, and more important, cheaper :D
Well, assuming the ETK isn't wrong......
SIX35

Post by SIX35 »

horsetan wrote:
SIX35 wrote:...So you think the wipermotors can simply be swapped from the metal onto the plasic ellipsoid frames/mounts? That would be great, and more important, cheaper :D
Well, assuming the ETK isn't wrong......
:D :D :D :D !!!

Therefore, E30/E32/E34 ellipsoids - forget it

:cry: :cry: :cry: :evil: :evil: :evil:

o god, another quest...... :?
horsetan

Post by horsetan »

SIX35 wrote:...o god, another quest...... :?
....stillborn