m vs 635

Post in this forum for topics relating to the exterior. This includes body, windows, and accessories

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

The Sixer Kid

m vs 635

Post by The Sixer Kid »

cosmetically how do the 88/89 635's differ from the '88 M's?
horsetan

Re: m vs 635

Post by horsetan »

thesixerkid wrote:cosmetically how do the 88/89 635's differ from the '88 M's?
Through the addition of the "M" or "M6" badge.

...and that's really it for the exterior.
Brucey
6 Series Guru
6 Series Guru

Post by Brucey »

Also- Lowered suspension as std (vs optional), wider wheels usually (again optional on the others). 'Motorsport' 635s had these as standard.

I think.....
~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
sharkfan
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by sharkfan »

Did the later M6's follow the earlier convention of having the panel behind the rear number plate painted black instead of the body colour ??
e24mpwr

Post by e24mpwr »

e24mpwr

Post by e24mpwr »

Also, body-colored side mirrors - a HUGE difference!!!

:D

Some 635's didn't come with a front/rear spoilers, it seems like the M cars had flares (though I couldn't swear they are factory - nothing in my records says they aren't)

The link above is probably the best source...
sharkfan
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by sharkfan »

Some 635's didn't come with a front/rear spoilers, it seems like the M cars had flares (though I couldn't swear they are factory - nothing in my records says they aren't)
I think you're confusing the differences between the early cars - all the later cars, 635 and M635, had body coloured mirrors and the same front and rear spoilers; with the early cars, only the M's had body coloured mirrors and the deeper front M spoiler - there's still some confusion over rear spoilers - I've seen early original M635's with all rubber spoilers and similarly aged 635's with the two piece 'M' item.

I think for the early cars, any (635 or M) that were specified with the wider wheels (415 TRX's) received the factory wheel arch extensions with that package.

Just my few cents.

Sharkfan.
dobleo7

Misbadged 635?

Post by dobleo7 »

I am wondering about my new 6. I purchased this 85 car w/ an M635 badge on it. It does not, however, have body-colored mirrors, no rear spoiler, no recaros, just the little red, blue and purple strip on one arm of the steering wheel. It also does not have the 'motorsport race engine', jus t the regular 3.5 found in the E28s. So....what is the deal? Misbadge? If not, any motor/body changes? :?: Thanks for your help.
sharkfan wrote:

I think you're confusing the differences between the early cars - all the later cars, 635 and M635, had body coloured mirrors and the same front and rear spoilers; with the early cars, only the M's had body coloured mirrors and the deeper front M spoiler - there's still some confusion over rear spoilers - I've seen early original M635's with all rubber spoilers and similarly aged 635's with the two piece 'M' item.

I think for the early cars, any (635 or M) that were specified with the wider wheels (415 TRX's) received the factory wheel arch extensions with that package.

Just my few cents.

Sharkfan.
sharkfan
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by sharkfan »

If it hasn't got the motorsport engine :D in then it isn't an M635 or M6.

There are plenty of genuine anomalies out there - when new you could specify an 635 with the Motorsport steering wheel, with recaro's, with wider wheels, and the subsequent wheel arch extensions and rear headrests and the list goes on.....

I have also seen a genuine UK M635 without the wheelarch extensions :shock: and wider TRX wheels - I think because it was one of the first and initially that option had to be seperately specified. There was also a UK M635 sold recently on ebay that had electric comfort seats :shock: :shock: (not recaro or sports) from new........

The engine is the obvious way to tell, and if you can't get to the bonnet, if it's an auto then it's also not an 'M'. Another less obvious detail is that all 'M's came without the swinging 'econometer' thing in the bottom portion of the rev counter; every other factory 6 had it, but I'm not sure about Alpina's - now there's a hot topic - how to identify a factory Alpina, from a genuine aftermarket Alpina, from a badged-up Alpina :shock: :?

Any other opinions ?

Sharkfan
bfons

Re: Misbadged 635?

Post by bfons »

dobleo7 wrote:I purchased this 85 car w/ an M635 badge on it.
Not to mention that there is no such thing as an M635 badge. M635's are badged as ///M.

I hope you didn't pay the M635 price!
Brian

-----------------------
1984 Graphite M635 - Project Graphite - Sold
1985 Polaris M635 - Polaris - Sold
1987 L6 Black/Lotus White - My Queen has a new home
1980 633csi - Gone but not forgotten
dobleo7

Well it's a 6er....

Post by dobleo7 »

Thanks for the input. Paid $3300 for it, in good condition(definately not M6 price). I'll have to take a pic of the badge (probably a marketing ploy for Ms in the US?) Anyway, I'll hope to get a REAL M later. :lol: I was hoping for some solid sources on the engine/performance/bodywork~ had read somewhere about 15/20 hp diff from regular 635. Cheers. 8)
Volvo240GLT

Post by Volvo240GLT »

Sharkfan: My Motorsport has a weird black paint under the number plate!
bfons

Post by bfons »

I'm a bit confused as my '87 L6 has body colored side mirrors.
Brian

-----------------------
1984 Graphite M635 - Project Graphite - Sold
1985 Polaris M635 - Polaris - Sold
1987 L6 Black/Lotus White - My Queen has a new home
1980 633csi - Gone but not forgotten
Brucey
6 Series Guru
6 Series Guru

Post by Brucey »

My '87 chrome bumper 635 (non-M) has (and always has had as far as I know) both colour coded mirrors and the two-piece rear spoiler.

I agree the wheelarch extensions are meant to come with the 415 wheel option.

But actually if you order a car from BMW you can have it pretty well how you want it within reason- this might explain some of the more bizarre specs seen...

cheers
sharkfan
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by sharkfan »

I think that although only the early M635's came with coloured mirrors (as opposed to the chrome of the rest of the range) by the time they came to the 1986/7 body update with those big bumpers then all the cars were getting the colour mirrors.
Brucey
6 Series Guru
6 Series Guru

Post by Brucey »

yes, but my car has the coloured mirrors and the chrome bumpers....

I don't think they changed everything at once.....

cheers