Front wing removal

Post in this forum for topics relating to the exterior. This includes body, windows, and accessories

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

sharkfan
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Front wing removal

Post by sharkfan »

How many bolts are there holding on the front wing? Are any especially tricky to get to or see? Are there any pitfalls on the way?

Any wisdom/opinion/advice greatly appreciated.

Sharkfan
Brucey
6 Series Guru
6 Series Guru

Post by Brucey »

lots and lots of bolts.....

All can be seen, but;

1) you can't access one of them until you have removed the indicator and the headlight surround.

2) You will need to remove or bend the door hinge trim to access the ones near the door hinges.

3) The rear wing splash panels and any mudflaps must be removed.

4) There is one bolt that secures the bonnet crash restraint. This is total sod to access under the wing after step 3), and a good excuse for buying more tools.

5) you can only remove the wing by raising the rear end first, but this means bending or removing the door pillar trim. I bent mine.....

6) and of course the entire bumper assy has to come off first.....

Note that you will also be horrified when you get in there at the rust on the inner wings- I know I was.... Some bloke called Herman deserves a swift kick in the fleshy parts as every E24 I have seen only has wax rustproofing under the wings where you can see it- the fold in the inner wing and the tops of the 'trumpets' are usually completely unprotected......

hope it goes well

cheers
~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~