Alles klar !!

Post in this forum for topics relating to the exterior. This includes body, windows, and accessories

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

horsetan

Alles klar !!

Post by horsetan »

The ones you've all been waiting for: 8)

Hope it's all clear to you now!

"Das ist alles klar, ja :?:"
Last edited by horsetan on Sat May 28, 2005 5:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
joe

all clear

Post by joe »

fair play ivan, looking good.

what glue did you use in the end.

all you need now is the rear rubber for the bumper.

later joe
horsetan

Re: all clear

Post by horsetan »

joe wrote:fair play ivan, looking good.
One more shot to help you to decide whether they'll be appropriate for your own car:

what glue did you use in the end.
A mix of Wickes (yes, the building supplies people!) contact adhesive, and Loctite Superglue.... This mixture really does set solid overnight, but does not dry "clear" - there is a yellow-ish tinge.

You might be able to substitute the Wickes adhesive for UHU or Bostik, both of which DO dry "clear". Why didn't I do that in the first place :?: Because I mislaid my tube of UHU.... :roll:
all you need now is the rear rubber for the bumper.
I have had a new rubber bumper strip sitting in my front room for the past six months. Trouble is, it's feckin' difficult to press it into the metal :!:

UKDaveJ

Thought I'd hate them, but looks super cool

Post by UKDaveJ »

I was very sceptical as to how these rear clear indicator lenses would look, but your pics have persuaded me otherwise.

I have some spare rear lenses, so intend to have a go in the near future!

Nice one mate!
horsetan

Re: Thought I'd hate them, but looks super cool

Post by horsetan »

UKDaveJ wrote:I was very sceptical as to how these rear clear indicator lenses would look, but your pics have persuaded me otherwise.
I ought to claim royalties from Radicast...... :D
SIX35

Re: Alles klar !!

Post by SIX35 »

horsetan wrote:The ones you've all been waiting for: 8)
Hope it's all clear to you now!

ME LIKE! :shock: :D
UKDaveJ

Boot lid detail Ivan?

Post by UKDaveJ »

Ahem, you appear to have lost your '635csi' boot lid moniker? :wink:
Kaotiq635

Post by Kaotiq635 »

Not sure about clear lenses, but have considered smoked lenses.

Has anyone tried it ?
Any ideas on that ?

Think they'd look great on a dark car, they'd look fantastic on Dave's Highline.

And what are those stickers on Ivan's rear window ?

Cheers,
Iain.
horsetan

Re: Boot lid detail Ivan?

Post by horsetan »

UKDaveJ wrote:Ahem, you appear to have lost your '635csi' boot lid moniker? :wink:
My car never had the badging in the first place...... :?

Kaotiq635 wrote:....And what are those stickers on Ivan's rear window ?
The one at the bottom right was one of those Aussie road signs I picked up in Melbourne :wink:

The ones at the top of the windscreen reflect my participation in the Countryside Alliance march which took place in Central London to protest at New Labour's ban (subsequently passed in Parliament, and which came into force on 18th February 2005) on foxhunting.

407,791 people took part; I was one of them - hence the stickers.

I shouldn't have been surprised; New Labour makes a habit of not listening to people anyway. They're now using their new term of government to carry on concreting over the countryside :evil:
bfons

Post by bfons »

Hmmm......

I'm not feeling it. Must be a UK thing :wink:
Brian

-----------------------
1984 Graphite M635 - Project Graphite - Sold
1985 Polaris M635 - Polaris - Sold
1987 L6 Black/Lotus White - My Queen has a new home
1980 633csi - Gone but not forgotten
horsetan

Post by horsetan »

bfons wrote:Hmmm......

:?: :?: :?:
bfons

Post by bfons »

horsetan wrote:
bfons wrote:Hmmm......

:?: :?: :?:
I like the original better. I do like the smoked idea however.

btw,

Love the pic with your riding gear and the BC.com T-Shirt!
Brian

-----------------------
1984 Graphite M635 - Project Graphite - Sold
1985 Polaris M635 - Polaris - Sold
1987 L6 Black/Lotus White - My Queen has a new home
1980 633csi - Gone but not forgotten
horsetan

Post by horsetan »

bfons wrote:....btw, Love the pic with your riding gear and the BC.com T-Shirt!
I'll do another one in lighter conditions next time.

The idea was to show off the T-shirt. Jockey and horse NOT included!
UKDaveJ

Post by UKDaveJ »

Kaotiq635 wrote:Not sure about clear lenses, but have considered smoked lenses.

Has anyone tried it ?
Any ideas on that ?

Think they'd look great on a dark car, they'd look fantastic on Dave's Highline.

And what are those stickers on Ivan's rear window ?

Cheers,
Iain.
I like the idea of smoked lenses as well. You're right on a dark colour they would superb. :idea: Ideas are forming.....!
dnd

Post by dnd »

heya, ivan!
now, your car is SO CLEAR that you dont have to wash it anymore ;)
DieInterim

Post by DieInterim »

At this point I think anything is better than those orange eye sores. The other day I picked up my lenses by the orange end and guess what happened? Snap. So I am feeling the I need to "clear" things up.

B.D.
horsetan

Post by horsetan »

DieInterim wrote:At this point I think anything is better than those orange eye sores. The other day I picked up my lenses by the orange end and guess what happened? Snap. So I am feeling the I need to "clear" things up.
What are you waiting for? :lol:
horsetan

Post by horsetan »

dnd wrote:heya, ivan!
now, your car is SO CLEAR that you dont have to wash it anymore ;)
Oh....wishful thinking..... :roll:

:idea: :idea: :idea: I've now written an illustrated "how to" article, which you can view on the "Technical Articles" section, so you can see exactly how I did mine.

Hope it's of use to all of you.

Enjoy.
SIX35

Post by SIX35 »

horsetan wrote:I've now written an illustrated "how to" article, which you can view on the "Technical Articles" section, so you can see exactly how I did mine.

Hope it's of use to all of you.

Enjoy.
Ivan, the 5th and 7th pic as well as the 1st + 3rd of chapter 8 do not seem to show.
Thanks for this helpfull article, i'm sure many of us will peek into it a few times prior sawing off our lenses with shaky hands :? ,i'm sure i will.
But the result is cool 8)
Last edited by SIX35 on Mon May 30, 2005 9:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
horsetan

Post by horsetan »

SIX35 wrote:Ivan, the 5th and 7th pic as well as the 1st + 3rd of chapter 8 do not seem to show....

Ah.... I know why that is. Let me go and make some corrections. You might find the pics are a bit smaller as a result.
DieInterim

Post by DieInterim »

SIX35 wrote:
horsetan wrote:
dnd wrote: Thanks for this helpfull article, i'm sure many of us will peek into it a few times prior sawing off our lenses with shaky hands :? ,i'm sure i will.
But the result is cool 8)
If your lenses were anything like mine then a saw is unneeded.
Just pick it up by the orange lens and then should snap off cleanly. Not kidding!

B.D.
horsetan

Post by horsetan »

DieInterim wrote:If your lenses were anything like mine then a saw is not needed. Just pick it up by the orange lens and then should snap off cleanly. Not kidding!
This would only be possible if the material had deteriorated to such an extent that the plastic was weakened.

I found that I could only snap the amber section off AFTER I had made the necessary saw cuts. Even then, there is a risk with the "snap" method, and that is the possibility that you may not get a "clean" break.

I have now amended the Tech Article so that the missing photos are restored.
sohlman

Post by sohlman »

Love the article Ivan good job.

As for the lenses i prefere the originals although i think if they were red this wood look very good and a smoked set would also get my attention. But that may be due to my dark colour and dark windows.

I am going to exsperiment with a set and see if i can get a smoked set were you can still see the lights working.

James
horsetan

Post by horsetan »

Sohlman wrote:...a smoked set would also get my attention. But that may be due to my dark colour and dark windows.

I am going to exsperiment with a set and see if i can get a smoked set were you can still see the lights working.
James:

Start off with the clear set, and use the artists' smoke spray on them. That way, you won't have to sacrifice your original amber lenses.
sohlman

Post by sohlman »

Don't worry i have a spare set of lights that i can try things out on. I have looked recently at a factory smoked set of lights and the internal of them is the required colour with the external smoked. My guess is that it will work better than a clear set. Also for the set of lights i have i don't have to pay anything.

James