small niggle, door doesn't shut well

Post in this forum for topics relating to the exterior. This includes body, windows, and accessories

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

Drew

small niggle, door doesn't shut well

Post by Drew »

not a mjor issue but I would be interested to hear if anyone had seen this one before.
when closing the drivers door nomally (ie pulling closed from inside or pushing it closed from the outside) the top of the glass sticks outside the rubber lip around the top of the door frame and so does not seal properly all the way around.
The solution to this is to shut the door from the outside by pushing firmly on the glass (rather that the metal bit of the door) or shut the door with the window slightly open and then close the window after the door is shut.

So, why does it do this and how can I fix it? My thought is that the window closes too far and therefore too much glass is trying to get under the lip (the glass does seem to sit higher up realtive to the lip on the drivers side compared to teh passengers side, especially towards the rear of the door)

Can I adjust the "closed" stop position for the electric window?

or is it something else?
Mauicruizer

Post by Mauicruizer »

My door actually sags down a bit and will not close properly unless slammed hard. Your prob sounds opposite. How does it sit when it's closed? Does the body trim line up front and back? If door is bent this could be a clue.
Mountain Shark

me too

Post by Mountain Shark »

I have the same issue as you on the passenger side. (window goes up too far.) When I adjusted it I introduced more wind noise. so I put it back. I do not advise forcing the window over the rubber. The rubber will give out after years of doing that. Luckily, mine is on the passenger side so I don't have near the annoyance as you because I don't open that much.

So - the window can be adjusted to fix. Maybe you will get it done and not introduce wind noise.

That's what you get without door window frames. One of my only complaints on the 6 but typical on large 2 door cars.
SIX35

Re: small niggle, door doesn't shut well

Post by SIX35 »

Drew wrote:not a mjor issue but I would be interested to hear if anyone had seen this one before.
So, why does it do this and how can I fix it? Can I adjust the "closed" stop position for the electric window?
or is it something else?
My doors where removed for repairs and respraying.
After replacing them i spent hours and hours adjusting the doors and the windows to get them closed properly without too much or less force and windnoise. Now the doors close with only small force needed and they are perfectly in line with the rest of the car.
yes, you can adjust the windows in allmost all angles untill you feel they shut properly.
Hell of a job(to me it was :evil: ) since i am one of those who is not satisfied untill something fits or works like it should perfectly,but surely you'll feel better driving without the irritating noise. :D
qbm35z

Post by qbm35z »

Door adjustments.... I had the problem of door being low and wind noise until a few days ago when I found the answer on the www, a seven page document giving a detailed account of all the adjustments available. These include setting door height, fore and aft position, window stop height, window closing angle and window fore and aft tilt. I found the best way to do this was first to look at the position of the door with the door closed, if the panel gap at the rear edge is the same as the leading edge adjust the top hinge only to bring the drooping door back to horizontal. Do this with a scissor style car jack at the rearcorner of the door with the door open no more than 45 degrees. Loosen 2 of the top hinge bolts completely and then third one only sufficiently to allow some movement then wind up the scissor jack slowly to raise the rear corner. tighten the bolts again and wind the window down a bit, then test the closing and sight whether the door falls a bit as you open it. trial and error, I did mine 4 times before I got that nice thunk sound and easy closing. After this adjust the window fore-aft tilt, then the lean angle of the glass and finally the height stop. Time consuming but rewarding work. The site and article in question can be found at http://normgrills.net/bcg/Body_Interior ... or24982937 . Have fun with this one, Matt
Drew

Post by Drew »

many thanks for the super quick and comprehensive replies
:D

I've printed out that bcg guide so fingers crossed