Glass replacement in WA - Euro Glass in Redmond

Post in this forum for topics relating to the exterior. This includes body, windows, and accessories

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

Big6

Glass replacement in WA - Euro Glass in Redmond

Post by Big6 »

Just a quick shout out. I had the windshield and seal done in the sixer here a couple weeks ago. Fantastic guys, great service and price. They worked with my insurance company and were able to source glass directly from BMW in Germany (complete with stamp). They worked with my schedule so that I could bring it in first thing in the morning and wait while it was done since I work the night shift.

As a side note, if your insurance offers a free glass replacement option take it. Total on my claim cost me $100.00, replacement cost to insurance was over $1K.

http://www.google.com/maps/place?cid=19 ... edmond,+WA

540i

Post by 540i »

Out of curiosity, why was it over $1k? I had a quote done on my '79 and it seemed like only slightly more than $100, nothing special. I was actually surprised the lady easily found an early e24 windshield, but they had it.

And is the euro windshield different than the US?
ron madden

Post by ron madden »

I need to replace my windshield on my 85-635 and can not find an OEM replacement anywhere. Everyone wants to sell me the aftermarket stuff, which I have had leaks and cracks everytime. Does anyone know an OEM replacement sourse. I am located in Santa Barbara, CA. Thanks, Ron
sixpack

Post by sixpack »

ron madden wrote:I need to replace my windshield on my 85-635 and can not find an OEM replacement anywhere. Everyone wants to sell me the aftermarket stuff, which I have had leaks and cracks everytime. Does anyone know an OEM replacement sourse. I am located in Santa Barbara, CA. Thanks, Ron
Hi ron, check with Mygrant glass co in San Fernando. They are a wholesale auto glass distributor. If they will not sell to you on a retail basis, they will tell you which one of their customers to go to.

250 PARKSIDE DRIVE
San Fernando, CA 91340

Phone: (818) 504-0900
Fax: 818-365-0400
sixpack

Post by sixpack »

Also Ron, Pretty much all windshields have to meet DOT standards for quality of material, fit, finish and clarity. Oem glass for your car is the same as most Mercedes cars; Sigla, Sekurit, Secursive or possibly even Pilkington, which by the way now ownes all of the brands I mentioned, the point is that any of these brands of glass could have been OEM for your car depending upon the year of manufacture of your car. Check the side glass and back glass on your car, there will be a small trademark on the bottom corner of the side glass, or on one of the corners, or in the center of the back glass. See what brand that is, and ask for that brand. The only problem with that is that little BMW roundel that is sand blasted, or acid etched into the glass makes that windshield a "premium" windshield, which usually adds at least $700.00 to the price. Unless you have a concourse level car, and it is going to be judged as such, I would opt for glass from Korea or China, Fue Yao or FYG, they are both very high quality products, dare I say better than the German glass,( less distortion). Dont let them sell you any glass made in Mexico, poor fit. Hope this helps.
ron madden

635 windshield

Post by ron madden »

Thanks for the information and advice. $700.00 is a bit much.
Cheers,
Ron
Jon Ackermann

Post by Jon Ackermann »

I also had my front windshield replaced at EuroGlass in Redmond, Wa. They are great people to work with. I started out with my local auto glass dealer/shop and got a quote for a replacement windshield. It turned out to be a chinese replacement. I did not have them put it in. I wanted german glass in my car. All I had to pay was my deductable and EuroGlass ordered my windshield through the BMW dealer, which I got to see the receipt for.

The biggest problem with replacing our windshields is replacing/installing the very thin aluminum trim. If they are not a good shop or are not used to this style of trim, they bend the trim during install.

Just my .02 worth.

Jon