side gutter trim

Post in this forum for topics relating to the exterior. This includes body, windows, and accessories

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

blackbirdxx

side gutter trim

Post by blackbirdxx »

Hi,
I?ve had my E24 repainted and need to replace both side gutter trims which cover the little brass screws. I carefully removed the soft alloy cover piece and managed not to kink it although it is now slightly warped. This is a friction fit piece which now refuses to attach properly without it popping off. I?ve tried double sided tape but that still doesn?t really address the problem. Some people have said that this strip cannot be reused and must be replaced. I?m beginning to believe them although Motormec has quoted me c?400 for both sides which makes buying new a major consideration. Anyone else had this problem?? I?m thinking about giving the car to the bodyshop for them to do, as they?re far more experienced than me at doing this sort of thing. Am I wasting my time? Should I buy new? If so, where is the cheapest place to buy? I need the black shadowline trim but would consider chrome and powdercoat if the savings are worthwhile.
Thanking you all in advance, dave
alpinacsi

Post by alpinacsi »

If you have it off and it is not in bad condition: you can carefully squeeze the legs to provide a tight grip when it is reinstalled. It will not be necessary to do the whole length but a few key areas will suffice. It is possible to take a light flat body hammer to tap the side to provide the proper squeeze and then try the installation again. It should be a tight push fit without having to bang it into place: a light rubber mallet might be needed.
Pod
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Pod »

In my experience, its just about impossible to refit these trims if you have pulled them off. However careful you are, they seem to get bent out of shape. Then its new BMW items for ????s.

The only other way is to remove trims with a Stanley knife off a breaker car. This will entail cutting into the rubber surrounds and wrecking the rest of the trims. It is rather hazardous, as its a good way to seriously slash yourself - but you can do it in about an hour per side and save yourself some cash.

If you still need a set, I think I probably have some.
ron
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: side gutter trim

Post by ron »

blackbirdxx wrote:Hi,
Some people have said that this strip cannot be reused and must be replaced.
I've sucessfully removed and replaced about 3 or 4 sets of the gutter trim. It takes a fair bit of gentle tweaking and straightening to achieve this, but it is possible.

When you factor in the cost of new parts it's worth experimenting with different techniques to get parts to fit.

There is supposed to be a BMW special tool to fit the trim but I've yet to discover what it looks like!!
They are ALWAYS rustier than you thought!!!!!!
'85 M #228
'87 M #367
'88 High line.
'10 X5
‘84 Alfasud 1.5 ti
635csiSyd

Post by 635csiSyd »

After carefully reading all the posts in these old gutter trim threads, I would like to congratulate anyone who has sucessfully refitted these trims, you sir/sirs or ladies are bloody legends or maybe I'm just to fussy.
I managed to buy new 3 of the 4 pieces and thought after looking at the carefully removed original bits that was the way to go...... the new pieces were about 50mm to long from BMW and I couldn't work out a way to accurately trim them off the car allowing for the correct take up from the fitting channel and curves and trying to cut them nice and square whilst semi fitted was never going to be a feasible option.
Soooooo I spent quite some time panel beating sanding filing and generally phaffing about repairing the original soft aluminium trims reckon I did a pretty dam good job removed the milky anodisng and polished them up like a mirror I had noticed that the "screw track" had a rubber strip glued to it originally so I carefully sliced and fitted some dense rubber to replace it and went to clip in the repaired trim that had met in a nice tight but joint before it was removed , must have used to much water with the wet and dry the bloody things had grown by about 3mm and because they are so soft even being extraordinarily careful after solving the 'growth I can still see finger marks where I have pushed to clip the bloody things in ....... who designed this car? a three piece trim with a two piece cover strip made of silver rice paper someone needs a slap !!! ;)
7/86 E24 635 manual RHD
Royal Blue/Pearl Beige
davem6

Post by davem6 »

I replaced mine with new ones, used a 32 TPI hacksaw blade and a file file to trim the ends.
1987 M6
NSW Australia
WISE9UY

Post by WISE9UY »

Good thread. I had two parts cars with trims and tried removing the ones that were good ever so carefully and only managed to get on off successfully with no damage and minimal bending only. Certainly would be good to know if BMW officially installed these for the life of the car with no intention of having them removed and then replaced.
------------------------------------
1988 M6 / 1988 635csi 5sp / 1986 635csi 5sp / 1986 635csi Auto
1989 325i 5sp / 1987 325is 5sp
1973 3.0CS / 1970 2800CS
2000 323i Touring
Gone but not forgotten:
1970 2002 / 1996 M3 S50B32 / 2009 M3 / 1979 528i