US License Plate on a Euro e24

Post in this forum for topics relating to the exterior. This includes body, windows, and accessories

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

Joe M in WV

US License Plate on a Euro e24

Post by Joe M in WV »

US license plates appear to be about 25% taller than the 1984 Euro license plate mounting area. I rigged up a couple of wedges from some leftover composite decking to tilt the plate so it would fit between the bumper and trunk lock.

If others have come up with more elegant solutions, I would be very interested in hearing about them. The PO had sliced off the top and bottom of their license plate. My plate is new and already had the registration sticker mounted too low for narrowing.

Joe M in WV
Attachments
1984e24Euro-InGarageWeb.jpg
jrcalvin

Post by jrcalvin »

don't bother with the silly angle USA plate mounting. Bend (do not cut) the top portion of the plate down and the bottom up so it fits within the space. You can also modify a plate bracket to accomodate the narrower plate so it looks more finished. I have run the bent/folded plate for 20 years without any hassle.
Rich

Post by Rich »

Yeah, that was a head-scratcher to me, too. :lol:

Like JR, I didn't care for the angle look with brackets. I found plenty of pics and discussions in roadfly's archives. Just a few years ago, there was a bracket available for purchase, but not anymore.

I took the flap from a cardboard box and made a template out of it to fiddle/practice with.

I ended up folding the bottom part of the plate "out" about an inch so the bottom part of the plate is flat against the bottom of the mounting area. The bottom's state slogan/propaganda is readable as you stand over it but not from behind (eye-level). My state's stickers are found at the top of the plate -- to the left and to the right -- so they're visible/no harm, no foul.

I put three balls of poster putty underneath the unpainted "folded out" part of the plate so to protect the paint against dirt that might get in there and possible friction. You can't tell.

The top of the plate begins right underneath the trunk lock assembly.

Don't laugh -- but I used good, old-fashioned rolled duck tape and two-sided padded tape and stuck it on there. Every wash I check it and it's holding steady.

Part of the reason I did this is because a previous owner had drilled two holes smack-dab in the middle of the license plate area and I wanted to seal them so no water would get in there. I also didn't want to do what he had to do and drill holes on the plate itself -- and have screws showing right where the numbers/letters are.

Living in the part of Virginia where I do, I was sure that I'd get pulled over if I altered the plate any more than I already had, and especially if I cut away the top of the plate to make it fit around the trunk lock assembly (as some have done).

Hope that description makes sense.

Regards...

Rich
1980 635CSi
Joe M in WV

License plate Oragami

Post by Joe M in WV »

Thanks much for tip to search on Roadfly and the idea to try different configs with a cardboard template. The plate seems to be on fine for now. One day we will probably get tired of the angled plate and fold it to bring the lines of the car back to original design.

Best regards,

Joe M
ScottAndrews

two holes are standard

Post by ScottAndrews »

Th Europlate has two mouting holes right in the middle of the plate. THe PO on my Euro cut the plate top and bottom. It works...

S