DESPERATE FOR HELP UK GUYS PLEASE!!!!!!

Post in this forum for topics relating to the exterior. This includes body, windows, and accessories

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

UKDaveJ

DESPERATE FOR HELP UK GUYS PLEASE!!!!!!

Post by UKDaveJ »

*******Update as of this evening....., can anyone verify this info?******

Apparently;

"Dave, the sunroof changed in September 1986
......so you're looking for a D reg onwards car.
it's not the same panel as a 5 or 7 Series "

Problem with my Highline.

The steel sunroof panel is rotten from the inside out which I've known for sometime.

I had obtained another roof from another forum member, unfortunately when the guys went to change it over tonight after painting it etc they discovered that it was different in terms of how it attached to the mechanism.....

I had a phone call to tell me of this news, which I thought was a wind-up.
It was not. Bugger.

Suddenly I thought that maybe the second-hand roof I'd got was from a pre-82 car which might explain the differences.
So I removed the sunroof panel from my late '83 chrome bumper 635 & took that round to where the Highline is & then was horrified to find that this roof also was different to the Highline roof, but the same as the freshly painted one.....

I therefore need a sunroof from a Highline. Tomorrow or Saturday ideally...

The pics below will hopefully show the difference. The rusty roof is from the Highline, the other from my '83 car.

I was hoping to take the basically finished car away on holiday this Sunday........so hopes dashed unless I can get a Highline/extremely late E24 sunroof panel.

My mobile number is 07977 057 113, so if you've got one or know someone that has, please either email or ring me.

Dave :cry: :(
Attachments
Highline sunroof panel
Highline sunroof panel
'83 chrome bumper steel sunroof.
<br />
<br />DOES NOT FIT!! :-(
'83 chrome bumper steel sunroof.

DOES NOT FIT!! :-(
See how the Highline fixings are different!
<br />The chrome bumper roof is connected via a triangular plate via 3 studs........
See how the Highline fixings are different!
The chrome bumper roof is connected via a triangular plate via 3 studs........
UKDaveJ

Problem now solved! :-)

Post by UKDaveJ »

:D

Fritz's bits came to the rescue, 'new' rust-free roof will be with me tomorrow.
Then it will have to be rubbed down/prepped/painted/lacquered/polished & fitted etc.
The later roof is a nightmare to set up, there are 3 fitting tabs on each side & unlike the earlier roof, height adjustment (fine) is much much more fiddly.... :evil:

Unfortunately I won't be able to use the car for going on hols :( , but will have to take our E34 5 series instead...... :roll: :wink:

You learn something every day, but I certainly wasn't aware that the sunroof changed so late in the E24's life!

Be warned, they are not interchangeable so far I can see......

D :)
Brucey
6 Series Guru
6 Series Guru

Post by Brucey »

-glad you got it sorted....

sounds like a bit of a nightmare....

cheers
~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
UKDaveJ

yes & no!

Post by UKDaveJ »

Brucey wrote:-glad you got it sorted....

sounds like a bit of a nightmare....

cheers
Sorted in terms of getting one, yes thanks.

sorted in terms of fitting/adjusting, not.

Sharkfan kindly rang me yesterday & emailed some links through to me from Roadfly. I've read them, but none appears to be referring to the same roof, so as I'd never been on roadfly I've posted trying to get the info.

The fitting seems far more like the E34, which appeared on an F plate I think, so maybe there was a common change at that time....?

Dave :D
sean wicks

Post by sean wicks »

well done dave!!! hope you dont get anymore problems.best wishes sean :wink: