Brand new E24 ALUMINIUM front wings.

Post in this forum for topics relating to the exterior. This includes body, windows, and accessories

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

nerd of nerds

Post by nerd of nerds »

Is this going to be a fairly limited run? Any idea what shipping to the states will run? I definitely need new front fenders and if I can cut about 20lbs off the front end in the process... :-k
Six Mad

Ali Wings/fenders

Post by Six Mad »

The first set of wings are currently being fitted to my 6er which is under going a bare metal respray. The bodywork is being carried out by a local reputable classic car restoration company. The whole process is being photographed which of course I will post on here in the coming weeks.
You can of course order wings now or hang on to see what the final product looks like.
I will be ordering the next batch as soon as my bodywork guy is happy with the fit and finish in approx three weeks.
I'm currently trying to sort out decent lightweight packaging to offer some protection from couriers heavy boots! The current packaging alone weighs more than the wings!
Shipping to the US is pricey and I will have some prices by the end of this week. I will also look at what difference a larger order will cost in case some of you guys want to get together on this.
I will also look at re-skinning bonnet (hood) and boot (trunk) frames in aluminium very soon.
I have just started on a replacement front and rear bumber / air dam for the big bumper models. These will be in grp and the aim is to look like they could have been original to the car, all I will add is that they have a subtle e28 M5 influence to them.
I promise I will post some pictures in the projects forum as soon as I can.
horsetan

Post by horsetan »

Don't forget the usual warnings about keeping the aluminium separate from the rest of the steel body, otherwise some interesting little corrosion issues may result.

?350 for a wing panel is reasonable.

Now then, what about proper wheelarch repair panels (in steel)?
Sohlman wrote:Its not a good moment for me to spend ?700....
Is it ever? :mrgreen:
Pod
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Pod »

[quote="horsetan"]
Now then, what about proper wheelarch repair panels (in steel)?quote]

....and how about a rear lights panel and repair sections for the sill ends?

BTW, I have seen outer wheelarch repair panels for sale in Germany, but I don't know how well they fit?
Lymond

Post by Lymond »

Very excited about all this, I will be stripping down my m6 soon and will be looking for to all these lightweight parts especially the bumpers.
horsetan

Post by horsetan »

Pod wrote:
horsetan wrote: Now then, what about proper wheelarch repair panels (in steel)?
....and how about a rear lights panel and repair sections for the sill ends?

BTW, I have seen outer wheelarch repair panels for sale in Germany, but I don't know how well they fit?
Those are the ones from Walloth & Nesch. They are better than nothing. I merely wondered whether it was possible to have a more accurate pressing.
Chris Wright

Post by Chris Wright »

horsetan wrote:Don't forget the usual warnings about keeping the aluminium separate from the rest of the steel body, otherwise some interesting little corrosion issues may result.
Good point, use Zinc Chromate Primer between the Steel / Aluminum panels. It is that yellow / lime green paint you see on aircraft and between the aluminum body and steel bed of tractor trailers.

There are some epoxy primers that work just as well, check the paint system you are using ( like Alumigrip, Imron).
horsetan

Post by horsetan »

Chris Wright wrote:
horsetan wrote:Don't forget the usual warnings about keeping the aluminium separate from the rest of the steel body, otherwise some interesting little corrosion issues may result.
Good point, use Zinc Chromate Primer between the Steel / Aluminum panels. It is that yellow / lime green paint you see on aircraft and between the aluminum body and steel bed of tractor trailers.

There are some epoxy primers that work just as well, check the paint system you are using ( like Alumigrip, Imron).
I was thinking more along the lines of a physical barrier like a plastic liner, Chris, but that combined with the primer paint ye mention should solve the corrosion problem.
bongo

re: Aluminium wings

Post by bongo »

I'm waiting..... ;)

I was suprised to see no paint under the sticky black stuff used by the factory! They must have been assembled with the wings on then primed & undersealed. A bit "hit or miss" for my liking and explains a lot...
Attachments
P7121528.JPG
P7121528.JPG (1.42 MiB) Viewed 9703 times
Erik_M6

Post by Erik_M6 »

Bump-date? Just wondering... thanks.
Erik Brannfors http://www.brannfors.com
1988 M6 - Track
1990 M3 - Wife's
1991 M5 - Mine
wildrider56

Post by wildrider56 »

Erik_M6 wrote:Bump-date? Just wondering... thanks.
Likewise, considering keeping my car if these turn out to be any good and why not ask the chap to do reach arch panels too if they do..
Erik_M6

Post by Erik_M6 »

Mr. Mad, oh where art thou? Looking to see if this effort has fizzled out or if you were serious about having a pair or two fabricated.... Thanks.
1988 M6 - Track
1990 M3 - Wife's
1991 M5 - Mine
sohlman

Post by sohlman »

ditto
Erik_M6

Post by Erik_M6 »

bumpitty bump bump. I am thinking that the idea for these has fizzzled out. Bummer.
1988 M6 - Track
1990 M3 - Wife's
1991 M5 - Mine
ron
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by ron »

I've tried contacting him but no answer from 'phone or e-mail. I gather he has had a few problems with the wings and they are on the "back-burner" currently.

I'll keep trying to contact him.
They are ALWAYS rustier than you thought!!!!!!
'85 M #228
'87 M #367
'88 High line.
'10 X5
‘84 Alfasud 1.5 ti
Brucey
6 Series Guru
6 Series Guru

An interesting thought....

Post by Brucey »

I recently had a good look round a really nice 'scratch built' car in the style of a '30s roadster. Interestingly it was built using E30 325i parts throughout which very cleverly included both front and rear subframes. (This is clever because it means the car doesn't end up with a 'Q' plate on it under the new 'points' system IVA test.) Anyway, I digress- the reason for mentioning this here is that the wings were Aluminium (beautifully formed on an English wheel) and one problem was that they were badly dented from the inside out by stones flung off the roadwheels. To stop this from being a problem in the future, more wheeling plus liners lies ahead.

It occured to me that the liners (and here space is tight) might add as much weight as was saved by using Al over steel in the first place.

I have seen standard 6er wings dent from the inside, but only rarely; I would expect it to happen more easily with Al ones, unless some kind of liner is used. At least there is more space for this on a 6er.

cheers
~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
alan635csi

Aluminium Wings

Post by alan635csi »

Hi - did you ever get these aluminium wings? If so, I could be interested in one. My email is [email protected]. Thanks and look forward to hearing from you. Alan
ron
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: Aluminium Wings

Post by ron »

alan635csi wrote:Hi - did you ever get these aluminium wings?
See my post 2 above.
'85 M #228
'87 M #367
'88 High line.
'10 X5
‘84 Alfasud 1.5 ti
horsetan

Post by horsetan »

Methinks this one has gone dead.
sideshowbob

areplacement Aluminium Front Wings

Post by sideshowbob »

Have noticed that aftera certain amount of enthusiasm for the development of replacement aluminium wings....things seem to have gone a bit quiet.
Are these wings now available, has anyone bought any, anyone know what happened to this project ?
ron
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by ron »

I talked to him around 3 months ago and the project is a no-go.
'85 M #228
'87 M #367
'88 High line.
'10 X5
‘84 Alfasud 1.5 ti
Chris Wright

Post by Chris Wright »

ron wrote:I talked to him around 3 months ago and the project is a no-go.
Did he give any reason why?
ron
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by ron »

The costs were rising and the quality was falling!
'85 M #228
'87 M #367
'88 High line.
'10 X5
‘84 Alfasud 1.5 ti
Chris Wright

Post by Chris Wright »

ron wrote:The costs were rising and the quality was falling!
Ah, well :-k ..... Carbon Fiber anyone ?!? 8)

Who's got an autoclave ?!? .... Vacuum Bag ?!? :-?
Pod
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Pod »

Chris Wright wrote:
ron wrote:The costs were rising and the quality was falling!
Ah, well :-k ..... Carbon Fiber anyone ?!? 8)

Who's got an autoclave ?!? .... Vacuum Bag ?!? :-?
I may have mentioned this before, but I met an English chap (IIRC he is a journalist living in Wales?) who was very keen to produce carbon fibre wings. He had carried out a feasibility study and was seeking an investor(s). He pitched me for the cash, but at the time wings were less pricey from BMW than they are now - it must have been 6 or 8 years ago, maybe longer. Does anybody on the forum remember hearing talk of this? I cannot for the life of me remember his name, but probably would if somebody mentioned it :-k