Brand new E24 ALUMINIUM front wings.

Post in this forum for topics relating to the exterior. This includes body, windows, and accessories

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

ron
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by ron »

They are ALWAYS rustier than you thought!!!!!!
'85 M #228
'87 M #367
'88 High line.
'10 X5
‘84 Alfasud 1.5 ti
Pod
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Pod »

Its a shame that the project was abandoned. All credit to the guy for pushing it as far as he did.

Although I suppose a pair of fibreglass wings is better than nothing, I certainly would not fit them to one of my cars. At the moment there appears to be a plentiful supply of used wings in good or reasonable condition. I would rather restore a rusty wing than pay ?290 for fibregass - its just too much!

In the past, fibreglass wings were available for many English cars - and no doubt for foreign marques as well. However, the quality was always patchy, but they were "cheap as chips"! If he can sell them for less than, say, ?100 each then maybe he'll find a market for them.

The question is, how many people would want to buy an E24 with fibreglass wings? If you can't afford to keep your E24 original (It was the flagship car of the BMW range in its time, for God's sake!), then maybe you should be buying a cheaper Beemer?

Just my 2c :wink:
horsetan

Post by horsetan »

What difference would they make to steering feel with less weight up front :?:
Pod
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Pod »

horsetan wrote:What difference would they make to steering feel with less weight up front :?:
Obviously they are lighter, but on the basis that the original wings hardly weigh that much, would the difference be that noticeable :-k
Six Mad

Post by Six Mad »

Hi all, yes I'm back!
How does that saying go about life getting in the way of all ones plans?
I was suprised to see this topic was still near the top so thought I had better read up and make a contribution.
I had to give up on the aluminium wings because I just couldnt get them consistantly near the right fit. Simple!? things like the correct size and angle of the small crease that runs along the wing would be too square or too deep.
However they came out they would need the skills of someone good at panel beating and possibly ali welding which a lot of local body shops seem a bit reluctant to do.
My decision to go to fibre glass was rather oddly made when my wife reversed my pick up into her Porsche 944. The tow ball went straight into the front "bumper" and made a nice hole in it. On inspecting the damage I was suprised to find that it was made from Fibre glass!!
So whats good for Porsche is good enough for my BMW.
It does also mean they can be made in Carbon Fibre for those who desire such things but realistically do not offer much benefit over regular GRP.

I completely understand some of the comments made by contributors to this thread regarding putting proper steel on BMW's flagship model rather than GRP. Thank goodness many people do try and keep their cars as original as possible, I'm positive if I had the space I would have another 6'er to do just that.
But for me given the choice with the car I have and the desire to modify I would still prefer plastic especially since many other exterior parts of my 89 sixer are made from various plastics anyway.

I know I shouldn't say this on here but I do have a real love of what Singer do to 911's. Their web site is really worth a look all very inspirational. How about something similar with the 6er?

On the pricing issue, I do need to recover the costs of making the moulds etc. and I'm trying to get the costs down, but I do not want to sacrifice the quality. They are currently not far of the price of a second hand pair of steel wings, so i guess you pays your money and you takes your choice!
horsetan

Post by horsetan »

Six Mad wrote:.... the skills of someone good at panel beating and possibly ali welding which a lot of local body shops seem a bit reluctant to do.....
Panel beating is a dying art, unfortunately, and has been ever since insurers made it more cost-effective to stick a new panel on rather than save an original.
Pod
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Pod »

horsetan wrote:Panel beating is a dying art, unfortunately, and has been ever since insurers made it more cost-effective to stick a new panel on rather than save an original.
Well, unless its a BMW panel :lol:
Anri

Re: Aluminium Wings / Fenders

Post by Anri »

Six Mad wrote:Just a quick update.
It looks like the wings / fenders will be around the ?350GBP making a big saving over new BMW wings.
I will confirm all the prices including shipping this week.
Expect around ?35 for UK shipping.
Many thanks guys,
Miles

Can you provide the ACTUAL WEIGHT on this fenders ????

Anri
E24 M6 Schwartz/Tan 3.8
E24 M6 Zinnoberrot/Tan 3.5
E24 M6 Royal blau/Dove. 3.5
E24 M6 Schwartz Track-Toy 3.6
E31 '97 840Ci Schwartz/black.
E30 M3 Diamond Schwartz
Brucey
6 Series Guru
6 Series Guru

Post by Brucey »

I weighed an original steel wing a while back and if IIRC they were about 11 or 12 lbs. They are not heavy.

At the time a GRP one was about 9 or 10 lbs.

If you get them made lighter than that (for race use) then they typically won't be durable, cracking round the mountings and so forth.

If you really want to save weight then an integrated GRP front bumper/spoiler could shed 30-40lbs, easy.

cheers
~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Six Mad

Post by Six Mad »

Hi, the original fenders weigh 7.5 Kg (depending on how much underseal is on them!!)
We are working on the all in one bumper/spoiler the rear is almost ready.
So watch this space
captpkelly

Post by captpkelly »

I was told to "watch this space"

I subscribed to the thread, but just noticed that it went dead. Anyone want to breathe life back into it?
1988 M6
US model w/ build date of 3/88
Pod
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Pod »

captpkelly wrote:I was told to "watch this space"

I subscribed to the thread, but just noticed that it went dead. Anyone want to breathe life back into it?
I think that after more than three years we should consider this one not only dead, but buried!
dwcains

Post by dwcains »

I'm not sure I see the benefits, anyway. Negligible weight reduction, tougher to repair if damaged, and the possibility of galvanic corrosion between the dissimilar metals. Anyone ever own an old Austin-Healey with the steel fenders and aluminum center section of the body?
Dean
Lutz, FL

'85 635 CSi Euro #9402254
'87 Spider Veloce
'92 Spider Veloce
'08 350Z

ron
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by ron »

This is the guy who was doing the wings.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-635-e24-H ... Sw5VFWOcbu
They are ALWAYS rustier than you thought!!!!!!
'85 M #228
'87 M #367
'88 High line.
'10 X5
‘84 Alfasud 1.5 ti
dwcains

Post by dwcains »

That's actually a nice-looking piece, but if it's fiberglass, it's going to be a bit fragile. Not sure how flexible "GRP" is, but I've got an "FRP" nose for my 350Z, and it was cracked when some idiot tapped it in my work parking garage.
Dean
Lutz, FL

'85 635 CSi Euro #9402254
'87 Spider Veloce
'92 Spider Veloce
'08 350Z

Pod
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Pod »

Nice-looking accessory, but I think he's left it a good 10-15 years too late as there aren't enough cars left to fit it on and make a worthwhile profit.

How many E24 owners would be prepared to spend that kind of money to make their car unoriginal :-k

(That was my "Dragons' Den" bit BTW :lol: )