Side Rear Window Removal

Post in this forum for topics relating to the exterior. This includes body, windows, and accessories

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

AusE24

Side Rear Window Removal

Post by AusE24 »

Hello all.

I was wondering if anyone can tell me how to remove the side rear windows on a 6?

I have removed the side trim and 2 10mm bolts that appear to hold the glass onto the regulator. It appears that the rubber between where the regulator bolts to the glass may have bonded on. I am concerned about shattering the glass if i try and prise it off.

regards

Greg
Brucey
6 Series Guru
6 Series Guru

Post by Brucey »

-the last one of these I looked at it was difficult to tell if the channel was bonded or not since it was mostly rusted away.....

I wonder if it is possible to remove the glass and the sliding part of the regulator together? If so this might be an easier way if the glass is stuck in place...

cheers
~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Chris Wright

Post by Chris Wright »

Here is the Factory Manual showing the rear window removal (scroll down):

http://www.malloc.nl/BMW/635CSi/pages/e ... l#refertoc
AusE24

Post by AusE24 »

Chris Wright wrote:Here is the Factory Manual showing the rear window removal (scroll down):

http://www.malloc.nl/BMW/635CSi/pages/e ... l#refertoc
Thanks Chris.

Regards

Greg
derekal

Post by derekal »

Hi Folks,

I'm trying to tackle rear power windows which aren't working and have discovered, as mentioned by Brucey above, that the lifting channel under the glass is almost completely rusted away on both rear windows.

Has anybody replaced these? I'd assume there's a high risk of the window shattering if actuated with just the bolts olding the glass.

Thanks and regards,

Derek
bpoliakoff
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bpoliakoff »

On my early car, the windows pried out of the channel....carefully. IIRC it is just palin old glass settin tape holding them in by pressure. One of my channels was rusted pretty badly and we just took one off another riser and welded it on to complete the repair. Reason being was the extra riser I had was for the wrong side. A sheet metal shop could probably bend you up an new channel to correct dimensions. Otherwise, it may make sense to find someone parting a car and buy a good riser
81 Euro 635 M90 with motronic. Currently under a complete nut and bolt restoration. Pictures at
flickr.com/photos/bertsphotos.
derekal

Post by derekal »

Thanks.