Outdoor car cover

Post in this forum for topics relating to the exterior. This includes body, windows, and accessories

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

Bispal

Outdoor car cover

Post by Bispal »

Does anyone use and can recommend an outdoor weatherproof car cover available in the UK?

Thanks
86_6series
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by 86_6series »

If you have the room, better than a car cover

http://www.shelterlogic.com/
wildrider56

Post by wildrider56 »

Halfords all seasons extra large car cover - one of the best accessories I bought for mine

Bispal

Post by Bispal »

86_6series wrote:If you have the room, better than a car cover

http://www.shelterlogic.com/
looks good, not sure about planning in the ulk though, but will eplore it, thanks
Bispal

Post by Bispal »

wildrider56 wrote:Halfords all seasons extra large car cover - one of the best accessories I bought for mine

Hi, i saw that one today and looked it up on line, it got very bad reviews, lets water through, the tie straps rip and it completely degrades after one year. Interesting you found it good, perhapos it just fits the 6 series well? Others say the staps are where the wheels are so impossible to secure? If you have any more feedback would be great.

Cheers and thanks

Paul
wildrider56

Post by wildrider56 »

I never had any issues securing it, fast and easy to do.

I had it on mine for about 3 months, no water leaks at all..
nick88highline

Post by nick88highline »

Bispal wrote:Halfords all seasons extra large car cover - one of the best accessories I bought for mine

Hi, i saw that one today and looked it up on line, it got very bad reviews, lets water through, the tie straps rip and it completely degrades after one year. Interesting you found it good, perhapos it just fits the 6 series well? Others say the staps are where the wheels are so impossible to secure? If you have any more feedback would be great.

Cheers and thanks

Paul
I've had two of these and they are not good. They don't last long before the material degrades and lets water through; I found that bird droppings accelerate this process dramatically! I took the first one back for a refund because of this/
I still use one from time-to-time when the Morris is in the garage, but they are not good for long term use.
Nick
BMW 635CSiA (1988)
BMW i3 (2016)
Jeep Grand Cherokee V8 (2000)
Morris Minor 1000 (1968)
Bispal

Post by Bispal »

nick88highline wrote:
Bispal wrote:Halfords all seasons extra large car cover - one of the best accessories I bought for mine

Cheers and thanks

Paul
I've had two of these and they are not good. They don't last long before the material degrades and lets water through; I found that bird droppings accelerate this process dramatically! I took the first one back for a refund because of this/
I still use one from time-to-time when the Morris is in the garage, but they are not good for long term use.
Nick
Thanks Nick,

getting very mixed messages about the Halfords cover! I wonder if anyone has tried any others?

Cheers
Budget M3

Post by Budget M3 »

Check out http://www.californiacovers.com They do not ship internationally, but they have a great deal of knowledge available on the site for the type of fabrics and materials that will best suit your application. Once you have settled on a fabric, you can then look for a UK source. When I lived in London a few years ago, Halfords carried the Noah material...albeit not in custom fitted sizes. [/url]
Pod
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Pod »

I've tried various ones over the years. The only thing I can tell you is that NONE of them last more than a year or two. My advice is to get a cheap one and replace it annually, unless, of course, we get strong winds which tend to rip the material where the ties are fixed. BTW, be aware that some will damage your paintwork. New paint can be abraded. Once I had a Mach 1 Mustang to which the cover stuck itself!
ron
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by ron »

Bispal wrote: ...I wonder if anyone has tried any others?
If you have the space, I have an outdoor Carcoon that has never been used.

Check here:- www.carcoon.co.uk
They are ALWAYS rustier than you thought!!!!!!
'85 M #228
'87 M #367
'88 High line.
'10 X5
‘84 Alfasud 1.5 ti
JohnRogers

Post by JohnRogers »

I have always used a cover from Coversystems. See http://www.cover-systems.co.uk They have an E24 specific size.
The fabric is breathable. The main benefit is to protect from UV. My colour (black) is still vivid. I find they last about 5 years so my third one is coming towards the end of its life. Regards, John Rogers
Bispal

Post by Bispal »

ron wrote:
Bispal wrote: ...I wonder if anyone has tried any others?
If you have the space, I have an outdoor Carcoon that has never been used.

Check here:- www.carcoon.co.uk
Hi, I need an outdoor one, i dont think these work outdoors?

thanks, paul
Bispal

Post by Bispal »

JohnRogers wrote:I have always used a cover from Coversystems. See http://www.cover-systems.co.uk They have an E24 specific size.
The fabric is breathable. The main benefit is to protect from UV. My colour (black) is still vivid. I find they last about 5 years so my third one is coming towards the end of its life. Regards, John Rogers
Hi John, this one looks good and as it comes with your personal recommendation i think i will go for it. did you get the standard outdoor, approx ?143? Might get one for the porsche too as i am getting the nose resprayed this week, they are very prone to damage. On the cover systems website they also had a solar powered battery conditioner that you can leave on your dash and connect through the cigar lighter, sounds like a great idea! 635 goes in next week to have interior reconnolised, i bought some used rear headrests too from Boyd that will be re coloured to match \9they were missing on my car but were on the original build).
ron
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by ron »

Bispal wrote: Hi, I need an outdoor one, i dont think these work outdoors?
They do. Check the website.
'85 M #228
'87 M #367
'88 High line.
'10 X5
‘84 Alfasud 1.5 ti
Bispal

Post by Bispal »

ron wrote:
Bispal wrote: Hi, I need an outdoor one, i dont think these work outdoors?
They do. Check the website.
So you can, looks very good. i'm not sure it would work on the front driveway, perhaps someone could 'pop' it. Its probably great for long time storage but i want to be able to use mine quite easily. I suppose you just drive in and out of it? does to collapse when opened or is there air between the 2 skins that keeps it inflated? Are you selling yours?

cheers

Paul
ron
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by ron »

Hi Paul, It was bought in Dec. 2008 and has never been used. I bought it from the original purchaser around 2 years ago and never got round to using it.

Cost ?448.75 (+ VAT) in 2008. Just checked with Carcoon and it is still the current model at the same price! (?538.50)inc. VAT.

Open to offers.
'85 M #228
'87 M #367
'88 High line.
'10 X5
‘84 Alfasud 1.5 ti
papercar

Re: Outdoor car cover

Post by papercar »

WeatherPort sells some fantastic carports. Not sure if they ship internationally, but I think they do.
sansouci
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by sansouci »

I bought a Covercraft from Bavauto in NOAH fabric (now $248.95) and mine has lasted about 4 years so far. It is not waterproof, but does keep the sun, bird poop, dust and grit off the car. In very wet, prolonged damp climates (UK maybe?) it may grow green algae on it that is easily removed with a periodic hosing/drying cycle. I do not wash mine although I've tried a soapy wash mitt with no scrubbing to keep it looking nice. I also secure it with heavy 1/2" braided line (from my boat) crossing over the hood, just below the windscreen and then over the trunk (just below the rear window) to prevent flapping. Next spring, I will lay it out on my deck and give it another wash. Seams have held up and fits my E32 perfectly. I had bought a Coverking for my E24 from a reseller that didn't fit well and the fabric was a bit slick making it awkward to put it on. But their customer service (Coverking) recut a new one for me with more room to cover the Kardashian rear and front (US spec) bumper on my 84 633.
Conclusion: Covercraft seems to have the right pattern.

I have no idea about international shipping, but contact either Covercraft (to see if they have a UK rep) or Bavauto.

My $0.02

--Ken
Sansouci
84 E24 633Csi Auto, Bronzit/PearlBeige 6997510
93 E32 740il M60 Auto, Alpenweis/Ultramarine
60 528i M30 5-speed Green/Beige (crushed)
71 240Z 4-speed White/Blue (rusty & sold)
65 396 Chevelle 4-speed, Marina Blue/Black (stolen)
hornhospital
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by hornhospital »

"Kardashian rear".

:lol: =D> Now, that's funny!
Ken Kanne
'84 633CSi "Sylvia"; '85 635CSi "Katja";'85 325e "Hazel Ann"; '95 M3 "Ashlyn"
sansouci
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by sansouci »

Sansouci
papercar

Post by papercar »

sansouci wrote:This is what I'm talkin' 'bout!

http://img.thesun.co.uk/aidemitlum/arch ... 56648a.jpg
:D :D :D
sansouci
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by sansouci »

That is a display of serious Photoshop skills.
Sansouci
GRNSHRK
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Roundel advertising another brand!!!

Post by GRNSHRK »

WTF, the digital weekly Roundel is advertising yet another car cover company #-o

http://www.empirecovers.com/car-covers/ ... eries/1980

Seriously good (cheap?) prices, any experiences out there :-k

Claiming to be waterproof AND breathable is quite a statement :roll:
:mrgreen:
Bobbo
1980 633 CSi Cypress Green/Pearl Beige
2017 X5 M Sport Xdrive 35i Carbon Black/Ivory White
2005 330 Ci ZHP Cabrio Imola Red/Bone/Black