Antenna Rings / Grommet

Post in this forum for topics relating to the exterior. This includes body, windows, and accessories

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

E9Aus

Antenna Rings / Grommet

Post by E9Aus »

Hi all,

Apologies if this has been covered off before. I have the dreaded problem of my (automatic) antenna base wearing and cracking with age and it is now swimming loose in the rear quarter. The rubber base has all but disintegrated.

Does anyone know how I can find out the part number of these rings / grommets? Are they available separately or must I buy the whole antenna again?

I may know a place in Aus I might be able to get the grommet but I need to know the part number, I looked on realoem.com and they didn't have the part listed with a number, just a picture of it.

Pic attached of the sorry state of my antenna.

Cheers & thanks in advance,

Mick
Attachments
IMG_1386sm.jpg
IMG_1386sm.jpg (48.84 KiB) Viewed 11579 times
Chris Wright

Post by Chris Wright »

Hirschmann Antenna:
Here is a Parts Diagram: viewtopic.php?t=11445&
Antennas & Parts (Know nothing about this store): http://stores.ebay.com/GLG-Direct
Installation with Pics: viewtopic.php?t=2512&

From the Parts Diagram it looks like the grommet is part of the installation kit which is NLA. You will probably have to find it used?
DesktopDave

Post by DesktopDave »

I was wondering if the e30 antenna was the same. I know the Hirshmann is interchangeable, but the grommets are likely a different angle. This seller seems to have a anything you might need further down on this listing:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-Antenna-Sea ... 04&vxp=mtr

I haven't ordered from them myself, but I'm considering it.
E9Aus

Cheers!

Post by E9Aus »

Fantastic advice guys, thanks a million for your help! Looks like the eBay guy had what I needed so I'll be ordering this little part from them.
Cheers again, your efforts are very much appreciated.
Mick
ZesCoupe
Bigcoupe Contributor
Bigcoupe Contributor

Post by ZesCoupe »

Try looking on the Hirschmann website (http://products.hirschmann-car.com/Sepi ... 9_1050_705) they have a good selection of spare parts including antenna heads. They've even got a dealer finder for most countries. At the end of the day a replacement Hirschmann universal automatic antenna won't really break the bank and you'll get another 20 years of pleasure out of it :wink:

Cheers,
Martyn
"If a job's worth doing, it's worth doing well" My Dad (1921-1995)

1986 635CSi (Sold)
www.automotivelife.nl
E9Aus

Oh man

Post by E9Aus »

Would you believe it, after all the phone calls, emails, forum posts etc I finally got the part number and low and behold my local BMW dealership had it in stock - $15 and problem solved.

Even more frustratingly so, when I pulled out the old grommet the only piece left of it had the BMW part number on it - if only I had looked first.

Lesson learned.

Cheers & thanks to all for your help. Now to get the bloody thing on!

Mick
Chris Wright

Re: Oh man

Post by Chris Wright »

E9Aus wrote:Would you believe it, after all the phone calls, emails, forum posts etc I finally got the part number and low and behold my local BMW dealership had it in stock - $15 and problem solved.

Even more frustratingly so, when I pulled out the old grommet the only piece left of it had the BMW part number on it - if only I had looked first.

Lesson learned.

Cheers & thanks to all for your help. Now to get the bloody thing on!

Mick
Don't leave us hanging, post the part number for future reference! :mrgreen:
E9Aus

Hirschmann Automatic Antenna Part NUmber 65 21 1 376 008

Post by E9Aus »

How absent minded of me. Of course, here are the details:

The part number as supplied to me from the eBay guy is: 65 21 1 376 008

Below is the exploded diagram he sent me which is the only one I ever saw that had this grommet included in it. realoem.com and BMW themselves didn't have this part in their own diagrams strangely. #4 in the image is the grommet we're discussing here.

Here's the link to the guy who's selling them on eBay (but you can get them from BMW yourself too):
email: [email protected]
eBay listing for exact part: http://www.ebay.com/itm/160664247623?it ... 23&vxp=mtr
eBay store: http://www.ebay.com/sch/bmwclips/m.html ... ksid=p3686

By the way, I installed the grommet without uninstalling my antenna. There was some up and down play in my antenna so I played around with it a little and I managed to lower it out of the body aperture. Then I sprayed some lubricant on the grommet and got it into situ and then slide the antenna back up into it from the underside. It worked a treat.

Thanks to all who contributed for their advice. It's amazing how many emails, phone calls and hours spent surfing the web it can take to dig up the smallest of parts isn't it. But what else is a busy professional with 3 kids gonna do with his time huh ;o)
Attachments
Here's the finished product!
Here's the finished product!
antenna grommet installed.JPG (117.93 KiB) Viewed 11467 times
BMW E24 Hirschmann Automatic Antenna exploded diagram
BMW E24 Hirschmann Automatic Antenna exploded diagram
E24 Hirschmann Automatic Antenna Exploded Diagram.gif (9.34 KiB) Viewed 11468 times
songzunhuang
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Bless this forum...question answered.

Post by songzunhuang »

Here we are 5 years after this post and it has helped me solve my problem. I had the exact same problem described here and now I can confidently order the part I need. Thanks.
-----
Song Huang
1984 633CSi
Last 7 of VIN: 6997383
Microang

Re: Antenna Rings / Grommet

Post by Microang »

Another one saved by this thread, although my aerial has the fancier chrome top, but I'm hoping it will still fit.

Just ordered it from BMW. You're a life saver.
86 BMW E24 628 CSI Zinnoberrot - 260/6 Manual Conversion (Saved from the grave)
zinnocoupe

Post by zinnocoupe »

It's amazing how many emails, phone calls and hours spent surfing the web it can take to dig up the smallest of parts isn't it.
This pretty much says it all.
1979 Euro 635ci no longer a basketcase, just a running rust bucket!
1977 530i Partially restored and running now!
1987 635csi 60K KM Garage Queen
Carlp336

Post by Carlp336 »

i have several sets of these in chrome and black..
.1977 H&B 630CSI - http://www.sidedraftsix.com.